Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is the day I buy my new bike but I'm unsure on which one? I know there is. Massive price difference but being new to trials makes me question if the lower priced one makes more sense. It's between :

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684

And

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904156/calibre-line-10-mountain-bike-15904156

I would like a do it all bike, litterlaly trials and something to maybe get to and from work on across the fields aswell. The jardtail seems excellent value for money and with me being new to this I don't want to splash out on alot if money if there really is no need to.

However the full sus does look real nice and I'm sure would see me for years to come....hmmm

Any help?

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
First, you should probably clarify if you really meant "trials" or were trying to type "trails" ... that's going to make a huge difference. Maybe you really are trying to be the next Danny MacAskill though ...

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
If it has to be a TODAY purchase and you are not sure of spending 1100 versus 650, this tells me you should get the 650 bike.

If it's trails and biking experience you need to get under your belt, I see no reason to rush into something at 1000 or more. That hardtail will get you to become a very good rider if you let it and when you are ready to move upgrade, you'll have the time and experience to guide you on shopping for the next best bike for your needs. Commuting and rabble- rousing trails / hard knocks, the descent h/t bikes can do it all.

Nothing you've said there mentions big drops and levels of trails that make a dual sus the way to go. They are an option but not a necessity and plenty of riders get a lot out of rides and trails without starting on full sus. Some never really hit the trails and drops or extremes to ever justify , want or need a dually.

Take your time, learn as you go and enjoy.
When you are ready to shop bike # 2 , you should have the confidence in knowing what it will be and how that relates to what you ride or use the bike for - mostly. That h/t may always be the better bike for commuting anyways and a keeper no matter how many bikes you get over the years! :D
I've got a low bike count at 4 over the span or 30 years or so

Get a trailer for daycare options ---

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The Sram SX stuff on the fully scares me. I suppose you can upgrade when/if it starts to give you grief though.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I would echo what was said above and go with the HT until you get a feel for what you really want. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but it is a lot lighter and will give you a boost with that alone. Components are lower end of the scale, but should do you fine if you maintain and keep clean. I take it you are in the UK? I rode over there from the early 80s to late 90s, mostly up on the Yorkshire Moors, and only ever had a hardtail, even for racing. That was mainly because full sus didn't exist, but I still had the very best time!

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Both bikes are an incredible value. I had not even heard of them before. Now this, and then this:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/calibre-bikes-overhaul-the-bargain-bossnut-for-2019.html

At those prices my view is that either bike is a low risk purchase. Both are a really great value.

Having both a full suspension and a hardtail in my go-to quiver (as well as about 9 other bikes), I have a lot of thoughts. In my view, it depends on how much dirt you intend to ride, and how technical that terrain is. Assuming you will be riding lots of techy dirt with some rowdy downs, the biggest issue in my mind becomes whether your body will withstand the beating it will potentially take on the hardtail.

An argument can be made for either. It comes down to use, terrain, and ability/willingness to take a bit of punishment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just to update I got the hardtail. They had both in stock but I just feel like if in 6months/year I'm still really developing and I need something more than the full sus is there . For the price I paid £649 in sale it just seemed a no brained....1x10 , rockshock recon, 12.5kg, Richie bars , WTB tyres AND a dropper post is there anything that even comes close??

Really happy with it, just wish the colour was abit less atrrusive 😂. But beggers can't be choosers especially with what seems like a great bike for the price. Any upgrades that anyone thinks would be a needed upgrade?

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Congrats OP.

I would run it tubeless. Given that it has an 11-42 cassette, I would also swap the 34 tooth ring for a 30.

I would keep the ring conventional if I were you but for me, I might get a little sassy and throw an oval one on there just for the hell of it.

I would also look at grips, saddle and pedals - all touch points, all relatively inexpensive swaps. They may not need to be replaced, but I would at least look at them.

So tubeless, and a 30 tooth ring. Apart from that, don't sink any money into the bike. The beauty is that you got a great bike at an even greater price.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Nice buy.
My bike was listing at 1200 USD 2 years ago I think and sounds like the same fork.
That color will grown on you I'll bet. Mine is satin red that's really more or a matte reddish-orange. It was the only color but I didn't make it about the color, just wanted that bike. Since then, I've become used to it and it gets a lot of comments.
There are times when in or near traffic, I enjoy the hi-viz factor just thinking it may be a bit safer too.

That's a lot of bike for your money, well done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.