Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been seriously considering getting my first gopro. Its not going to be my first action camera. I have a budget off brand 4K one that is ok, but now that I have started to get more serious about mountain biking, its clearly not keeping up.

I have definitely been reading reviews and comparisons between 8 and 9, but often the question that is discussed is Hero9 worth upgrading to from Hero8?

What about if you are getting your first one? Would like to hear people's opinions. Thanks in advanced.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,148 Posts
I have a 7 and an 8. The 8 is a great little camera with one major flaw, IMO...the lens cover is not removable/replaceable like it was on the 5, 6 & 7.

So if you get a scratch or shatter it, it's new camera time.

On the 8, with the non-replaceable lens cover, I run a GoPro roll cage. It's a silicone sleeve with a hard, but optically nice lens cover built in.

On the 7, I like to run one of those foam "wind slayers" - it really helps with wind noise reduction. I can't run one of those on the 8 if I use the roll cage thingie.

My point is, they went back to the replaceable lens cover on the 9. That alone would make it worth it, to me, to go with the 9 over the 8.

Also, the 9 now uses a larger higher capacity battery. Also a plus, other than now you can't use any of the several batteries you have on hand from all of your earlier GoPros.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,148 Posts
Also, If I were in the market right now, I would hold off to see what kind of Black Friday deals might become available here pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a 7 and an 8. The 8 is a great little camera with one major flaw, IMO...the lens cover is not removable/replaceable like it was on the 5, 6 & 7.

So if you get a scratch or shatter it, it's new camera time.
I have a Session, 5 and 7. And would go with the 9 for that reason. You may never replace a lens cover but I have twice. And it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you. That is a good idea to wait until all of the holiday deals roll in.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Interesting though on the lens. I'm torn.

I started out with a Hero2 in a case. Yeah, that didn't work.

Eventually got a Gimbal and the hero2 is naked to the environment.

It's been a few years and not a scratch on the lens so far. Feared it would have on ride #1 as it's not not protected.

I feel lucky and fortunate. But so far so good.

I would assume protection plans cover damaged lenses. Aside from downtime, not ideal to have to send in for service.

I like the 9 from what I've seen so far. I liked the looks of the 8 when it came out, figured "now is the time". Nope, still using the hero2. I'm definitely do for a big more quality.

I won't pay that much money though. The hero8 is more than $100 cheaper than the 9. Costco has a good price if anybody has a membership. I expect it could drop slightly but also I feel like the 8 won't last a lot longer.

·
Class Clown
2,956 Posts
I am looking to make some videos, some of it riding but others will be to showcase some parts and tools, and tutorials. Is the go pro good for this or just for ride footage?

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,148 Posts
GoPro would work for that. Shoot in linear mode, and it makes the fish-eye "GoPro" look go away, mostly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my 8 from Costco on sale for $289. Two batteries, floaty handle, mounts and a travel case. They might still be blowing them out.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I got my 8 from Costco on sale for $289.
In Toronto the Costco "clearance price" works out to about $350 USD. Which is within 20 bucks of what I paid for it last Christmas from Bestbuy.

This is typical of Costco pricing in Canada... I don't know why the hell I keep my membership there.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
In Toronto the Costco "clearance price" works out to about $350 USD. Which is within 20 bucks of what I paid for it last Christmas from Bestbuy.

This is typical of Costco pricing in Canada... I don't know why the hell I keep my membership there.
Costco’s return policy makes it a no brainer for me to shop there whenever possible. I love Costco.

I was there yesterday. Was torn between the GoPro Hero 8 bundle and the Mavic Mini bundle. Primary use will be to capture some fun fat biking memories with my daughter this winter.

The Hero 9 is obviously GoPro’s flagship model (the better battery is the biggest attraction for me), and the Mini 2 is set to release any day, with ocusync (vs wifi) and 4K video (vs 2.7). So both Costco offerings are legacy products.

In the end I picked up the Mavic Mini bundle.

Not sure about this decision. I am tired of my shitty boring GoPro footage from past GoPros, and I never did figure out a way to easily edit the footage. However, the Mini will have its own unique set of challenges, and the editing issue won’t be any better.

Not sure how much I am going to enjoy shutting down mid ride, mid winter, to pull out the mini at the summit, and do some drone piloting for 20 minutes. Seems like a strange combination of activities, resulting in no riding footage, cold hands and a very strange break in the riding. I found that fiddling with the GoPro really detracted from the ride experience and enjoyment. With the Mini, this will almost certainly be next level.

I really did despise my GoPro experiences though (Hero 2, 5, 7).

Which brings me full circle to my initial comment about Costco and its return policy...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Costco’s return policy makes it a no brainer for me to shop there whenever possible. I love Costco.

I was there yesterday. Was torn between the GoPro Hero 8 bundle and the Mavic Mini bundle. Primary use will be to capture some fun fat biking memories with my daughter this winter.

The Hero 9 is obviously GoPro’s flagship model (the better battery is the biggest attraction for me), and the Mini 2 is set to release any day, with ocusync (vs wifi) and 4K video (vs 2.7). So both Costco offerings are legacy products.

In the end I picked up the Mavic Mini bundle.

Not sure about this decision. I am tired of my shitty boring GoPro footage from past GoPros, and I never did figure out a way to easily edit the footage. However, the Mini will have its own unique set of challenges, and the editing issue won’t be any better.

Not sure how much I am going to enjoy shutting down mid ride, mid winter, to pull out the mini at the summit, and do some drone piloting for 20 minutes. Seems like a strange combination of activities, resulting in no riding footage, cold hands and a very strange break in the riding. I found that fiddling with the GoPro really detracted from the ride experience and enjoyment. With the Mini, this will almost certainly be next level.

I really did despise my GoPro experiences though (Hero 2, 5, 7).

Which brings me full circle to my initial comment about Costco and its return policy...
You do have a dilemma!
The drone would be nice but also when will you use it. I don't think I'd want to pilot it with cold hands! I would enjoy having a drone but I first need to learn how to pilot one. haha I'd use it very seldom. It would be nice to have 'when I wanted it' but are expensive.

I'm still riding with a Hero2 and a gimbal. Gimbal is 2 hours old, got the Hero2 in 2012. It works for what I want but keep threatening myself to upgrade. My image quality isn't up to standard with the limitations the camera has.
However, the new cameras even with Costco bundle pricing or any sales is about 2x what I paid for the Hero2. Yes, it will offer more than 2x better image quality though.

I'm sure after my first use I'd be happy with the cost. ha It's just getting to that point.
In my Opinion, the 9 is the first camera with usable stabilization for MTB riding. The 8 would get the job done but is still nauseating at time. With a one-axis gimbal like Loam Ranger uses is the ticket.
That gimbal is a few hundred bucks though.

I do use my GoPro for things other than MTB though, rarely.
It's tough to pay $300 for a camera that sits in a box for 2 or 3 months at a time between uses.

As for editing, it does take a while to learn how to edit. Unedited videos are worse than not having a video in most cases. I've gotten okay at editing but I've been goofing around now for about 5 years with it. I know how to do what I want and I am better about leaving things on the cutting room floor. It's also a 'time' thing where it takes a week for me to finalize a video along with my work life.

Cameras on my list for various things are
DJI Osmo Pocket
Updated GoPro
Drone

Each offers something the other one does not but I sure won't own 3 of those at any one time. Two perhaps, I'd have the Osmo Pocket if I planned a trip. My Hero2 and Gimbal serve that purpose now without issue, just bulky in contrast.

I'll double check the Costco bundle pack again, I thought it was $250 when the 9 was released.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
Mini 2 landed yesterday.

I am going to return the DJI Mavic Mini and grab the DJI Mini 2 (no longer called a Mavic). Primary differences as follows:

1. 4K vs. 2.7k
2. OcuSynch vs. Wifi
3. RAW photos vs. JPEG only
4. 2x and 4x zoom (2x lossless)
5. significantly more powerful and quieter motors (allowing safe flying in 24 mph winds)
6. return to home function
7. slightly increased flight time (31 mins vs. 30)
8. MUCH nicer (but bigger) controller
9. auto exposure bracketing
10. a whack of stitched panorama shot options and boomerang QuickShot function.

On sale now at Best Buy Canada for $570 ($750 for the FlyMore bundle).

The only options it's missing that I care about are obstacle avoidance (it only has sensors in the bottom), and active tracking. But there's only so much one can do and still stay within 250 grams and a sub $600 CDN price point. Plus not canibalizing it's own more expensive, feature-laden models...there's that too.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
They do take absolutely everything back, I have to give them that.

Although when I'm standing in line to return something where I haven't even opened the box, watching the "members" in front of me return expired food and stuff they've clearly been using for a month makes me think they should deny more often...

Let us know if you get the drone how it works out.... I've been "about to buy a drone" myself since around 2014.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
They do take absolutely everything back, I have to give them that.

Although when I'm standing in line to return something where I haven't even opened the box, watching the "members" in front of me return expired food and stuff they've clearly been using for a month makes me think they should deny more often...

Let us know if you get the drone how it works out.... I've been "about to buy a drone" myself since around 2014.
I have all this on hold temporarily. My new bikes, that have not yet arrived, are draining every cent from me.

I am starting to agree on the crap deals at Costco, at least for some stuff. The Hero 8 and Mini are both legacy products. The Hero 9 online, directly from GoPro, is actually cheaper than the Hero 8 bundle at Costco, and the 9 includes a year of unlimited cloud storage.

As for returns, yesterday I returned a range hood I ordered online 2+ years ago. Zero fs given by them. Blows me away. Mind you, it was still in a sealed box, but still. Incredible.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am looking to make some videos, some of it riding but others will be to showcase some parts and tools, and tutorials. Is the go pro good for this or just for ride footage?
Your iPhone is just as good if not better for that. The GoPro is great for action shots. Once you get comfortable with editing you'll realize you can easily grab footage from either camera and insert into your video.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts