Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am 5'11 and around 150lb. I wanna buy a hardtail with a budget of CAD$600 + tax.
What and where can I get for that price?
oh forget to say, I am jsut a newbie and rode on trail for a few times only.
Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I'd check your local dealer and see what they have... right now there are some deals to be had on 2006 models so $600.00 might take you a little farther.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
For around $600, you're probably looking at an entry level "real" mountain bike. Don't quote me on this, but probably something like the Gary Fisher Wahoo or Specialized Rockhopper.

As 65'er says, there should be a few '06 bikes hanging around that would allow you to get a little more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started out on a Rockhopper...

(well, not counting a Raleigh MTB in the mid-80's that I kept until the early 90's)

The Rockhopper was a solid bike, "good enough" to get me really going. Followed by 2 Epics, then a Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2 S-Works Epics, an S-Works HT, a Stumpy, and now Scott Scale and Titus Moto-Lite 2. All because I loved the Rockhopper enough to get hooked on riding. It'll do fine - watch out or you might get really hooked!

www.dornellas.com has the 2006 Rockhopper on sale in Toronto for $599, FYI....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RunningBrave said:
I started out on a Rockhopper...

(well, not counting a Raleigh MTB in the mid-80's that I kept until the early 90's)

The Rockhopper was a solid bike, "good enough" to get me really going. Followed by 2 Epics, then a Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2 S-Works Epics, an S-Works HT, a Stumpy, and now Scott Scale and Titus Moto-Lite 2. All because I loved the Rockhopper enough to get hooked on riding. It'll do fine - watch out or you might get really hooked!

www.dornellas.com has the 2006 Rockhopper on sale in Toronto for $599, FYI....
thanks a llot for ur information
now if i manage to get 1k to spend....
is a 07 rockhopper comp disc or a 07 gt avalanche 1.0 disc better?
on top, wt is difference between 07 and 06 rockhopper?
and is there any other suggestion in this price range?(1k is the absolute maximum)
thanks a lot

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
The Specialized Rockhopper is a great value and their quality makes it easy to explain how so many people got started on them.

You want to get a bike with a decent frame and a good warranty as this is the heart of the bike and it should be worthy of future upgrades.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go for the 07 Rockhopper!

Caveat is that I have never even seen the GT....

However, Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames and if you buy from a good shop your back is covered for as long as you own the bike. All good.

Looks like the 2007 Rockhopper has been redesigned for a lot of improvements in the frame (according to the Big S website anyway). Looking at the geometry (17" versus 17"), when you compare the Rockhopper numbers to the Stumpjumper/S-Works hardtails, you get very similar results. To me, the geometry of the Stumpy/S-Works HT clan is spot on, so if the new Rockhopper is built similar to that it will probably ride very well indeed. The Tora should be a good reliable fork, the Avid BB5 brakes are a good reliable and solid choice, and the rest of the components are also very solid (eventually you'll upgrade if you really get bitten, but for now they will function great).

Looks like a nice bike - much better than the 2001 Rockhopper Comp I started out on, which also cost me more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.