Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a specialized beginner bike that i just sold and it was an in between mnt/street bike. i want a mnt bike mainly to ride to and from work and some mnt trails. i have about 4 nice trails very close to my house. The local bike shop here is a Trek dealer and I am not sure what Trek would be good. I like x-caliber 29 7. I also have a Cannondale shop farther out and I love the trail 5. I guess I love the Cannondale but want to by from my local Trek shop. I guess that's kind of crazy. What Trek would be as good or better than the trail5? Would really like to spend less than a grand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ride maybe once a week on trails. well kept trails but mnt elevated trails, single track like. i think my budget is under $1000.00

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
The fork on the 7 is bike path only. You need to go to the 8 to get a trail ready bike. You should negotiate a 15% off Trek Fest deal. The Superfly 5 is an even better choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I could go with the 8. if they will give me the 15% off then it would put it in my price range. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just saw that the trek sale ended today. do dealers normally come off the price or is this just part of the sales event? i was almost sold on the 8. :-( Just my luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am going back to the LBS in the am. price tag on the trek 8 is $1040.00. What should I pay if this is the bike I get?

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
i am going back to the LBS in the am. price tag on the trek 8 is $1040.00. What should I pay if this is the bike I get?
Use the Trek Fest as an opener to work a price even though it is over. You're looking to get a good Trek Fest price. He can discount at any time, with limits from Trek based on the time of year.
The person to talk to is the mtb manager or shop owner. The bike comes with two prices. The sticker price and Trek's msrp., which is 5% less or 988. Trek will let the dealer discount 15% off the sticker at this time of year. So about 885 + local sales tax(4%) out the door. You can set your price where you need to be to make the deal at 920 or less for cash(maybe 900). Hold for that. If necessary take a break and ask to walk around the shop and think about it. It comes with good fast rolling grippy tires but ask him to make sure the fork spring is the correct one for your weight.
Yellow firm is 140-160lbs. Red medium is 160-180lbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone. i have learned a lot already from your replies. the LBS would not budge on price. I am going to go back to the Cannondale shop and ride some more bike there. they did come down on their price at least. Suprised by the trek folks. thanks again

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
thanks everyone. i have learned a lot already from your replies. the LBS would not budge on price. I am going to go back to the Cannondale shop and ride some more bike there. they did come down on their price at least. Suprised by the trek folks. thanks again
Check Atlanta Trek.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i just got home with a new a Cannondale SL 2. love the bike. Guy came down $125.00 plus 50%off anything i bought to go with it, so i picked up a cage and some new gloves and what not. loooove the bike.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts