Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Spam!

Alright you backstabbing spammers. Keep it in the family and stop referring to those other photo sites. Well, at least Imaging-Resource links to PCPhotoREVIEW.com. I like them. And Luminous Landscape is excellent. But PCPhotoREVIEW.com and PhotographyREVIEW.com are little homies of Mtbr. Use them and I get to keep shooting events and buying new bikes.

So here's what I have to say on the new camera subject.

All most of us need for most purposes is four megapixels. Use your money for a good lens and good features you can grow into. And whatever you buy, learn to use it right. No camera is going to take the pictures for you. You must learn the rules or you will take bad pictures, regardless of how much you spend.

To give you some direction, besides what's already been offered here, I give you a link to the top 200 cameras on PCPhotoREVIEW.com:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/TOPcrx.aspx

Top two compact digitals are the Canon A95, and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I know a lot of people like the Canon Digital ELPH cameras. Personally, I like something with more manual controls. There comes a time when the camera's little computer brain just won't cut the mustard. When that time comes, it's nice to be able to take the wheel.

Hope that helps. And remember to support PhotographyREVIEW.com and PCPhotoREVIEW.com. Daddy needs a new camera!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to own the Sony DSC-V1 before I sold it to get a D-SLR. That is probably one of the best (if not the best) 5MP digital camera you can get for that price. It took AMAZING pictures in Auto mode, or when I had full manual control. Highly suggest it!

Here is a couple of pictures I took with it on my business trip to Dubai this past December.

Attachments

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
Pentax Optio s5i

5 MP and 3x lens. Very compact and simple to use. Got it with a 1GB SD card at Costco for $400 including sales tax. The tiny size is a great plus when taking on a ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Casio Exilim Pro EX600

Anyone using a Casio Exilim Pro EX600? I'm very interested in this one for its combination of size (relatively small), Manual control, "Simple/Stupid" automated features and good reviews.

I would love to hear from someone using this camera.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
PhotographyREVIEW.com Gallery

Black Bart said:
No outright reviews but a good site to see what different cameras are capable of is http://www.pbase.com/
Search images by Camera used, forums with people that use their cameras alot, and a good place to host photos. Check it out.
Bart-
You can do the same thing on the PhotographyREVIEW.com gallery. And all of the digital camera reviews have links directly to photos in the gallery taken with the camera you're looking at. You can even search the Mtbr gallery by camera - assuming that whoever posted the photo actually selected the actual camera they used.. Check it out: http://gallery.mtbr.com/search.php?cat=

I'll teach you guys yet!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Do you take the wheel and cut the mustard at the same time? :)

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
But of course!

Locoman said:
Do you take the wheel and cut the mustard at the same time? :)
I take the wheel, cut the mustard (and the cheese), and even bridge the gap. And none of that weak yellow mustard, either. Only the good, chunky, spicy, brown stuff!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Skookum said:
Check these out.
Nice place to ride. I've got 2 digital cameras, both Fujis my first was a 2600Z & the 2nd a S5000. The S5000 is a bit bulky unless you have a hydration pack. A bit uncomfortable to carry in a fanny pack.

Make sure the camera has shutter priority mode. Otherwise the camera will adjust the "shutter speed" according to the light. Also if you're planning on taking action shots in addition to stills, ask if the camera has continuous focus, reduces blurring. I second the comment about the electronic viewfinder. In bright light, the image on the LCD is next to impossible to see.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
I second that...

Blade said:
Take a look at the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200. It has 7.2 mega pixels, 3x zoom, the battery last forever and can record video until the memory stick is full. I paid $399 for the camera and bought a 1 GB memory stick. I can shoot over 300 picture or 45 minutes of video with one battery charge and one memory stick.
It is not as small as the Canon Elph cameras, but still small enough to carry it while you're riding.
You'll find more detail here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P200/P200A.HTM
Nothing but good things to say about this little camera. It's small enought to fit on my chest strap of my camelback and takes outstanding photos. I hate to tell you this, but I paid $345 for it about 1 month ago!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
revrnd said:
I second the comment about the electronic viewfinder. In bright light, the image on the LCD is next to impossible to see.
I guess I should clarify this. An optical viewfinder is a must, the electronic viewfinder that allows you to read your menus is a nice touch.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Thanks, Trevor!

Trevor! said:
You'll brake PJ's heart posting a link like that when there is photographyreview.com :)
I'm trying so hard to teach everyone here to use my site. It drives me nuts when I'm on Passion or the DH board and see links to other photo sites. Like I always say - Keep it in the family!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Sony DSC-V1 as well, it's very light but not as small as some others. The best thing about it is image clarity, which is important for the scenery shots common to biking pics. You loose a lot of clarity when you go for the pocket-sized cameras. A generally good predictor of image quality if lens size. Here are some samples of images taken with my DSC-V1 from a recent trip to Fruita.

http://home.comcast.net/~donbogardus/fruita/

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Photo-John said:
Alright you backstabbing spammers. Keep it in the family and stop referring to those other photo sites. Well, at least Imaging-Resource links to PCPhotoREVIEW.com. I like them. And Luminous Landscape is excellent. But PCPhotoREVIEW.com and PhotographyREVIEW.com are little homies of Mtbr. Use them and I get to keep shooting events and buying new bikes.

So here's what I have to say on the new camera subject.

All most of us need for most purposes is four megapixels. Use your money for a good lens and good features you can grow into. And whatever you buy, learn to use it right. No camera is going to take the pictures for you. You must learn the rules or you will take bad pictures, regardless of how much you spend.

To give you some direction, besides what's already been offered here, I give you a link to the top 200 cameras on PCPhotoREVIEW.com:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/TOPcrx.aspx

Top two compact digitals are the Canon A95, and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I know a lot of people like the Canon Digital ELPH cameras. Personally, I like something with more manual controls. There comes a time when the camera's little computer brain just won't cut the mustard. When that time comes, it's nice to be able to take the wheel.

Hope that helps. And remember to support PhotographyREVIEW.com and PCPhotoREVIEW.com. Daddy needs a new camera!
Wise words. Also agree about the A95 and FZ20 being two of the best for under $300 and $500 respectively. Do your research now before buying and be happy. Measure twice, cut once.

Camera features are all about compromises. Decide what you need and what you can live without and go from there.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.