Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but so many to choose from! I know I'll probably need at least 5mega-pixel and 3x zoom. I'll be using it for outdoor pics and to post some riding pics. Maybe around $350-$400 range. What does everyone else use? Any suggestions and\or input what to look out for will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any and all help!

·
255 Posts
I use a Canon Powershot A85 (4.0 pix, 3x opt. zoom). There is a 5.0 pix version as well.

Its compact, has great action and low light settings, and has a kind of grip on the camera frame, which makes it easy to grab with gloves on. It seems to deal with shock very well as I ride a hardtail on very rocky trails to no ill effect.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Save some money

Matt22 said:
...but so many to choose from! I know I'll probably need at least 5mega-pixel and 3x zoom. I'll be using it for outdoor pics and to post some riding pics. Maybe around $350-$400 range. What does everyone else use? Any suggestions and\or input what to look out for will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any and all help!
I went to bestbuy and got a canon powershot SD200 3.2megapix w/ 3x zoom this thing is awesome
under 300bucks and small perfect for riding and takes great shots even in low light!
why do you need 5Mp?

Attachments

·
dirtbag
1,532 Posts
'nuther Canon recommendation

I picked up a Canon Powershot A520 a couple weeks back, 4 megapix 4x opt zoom, 3.6 dig zoom. Love the camera, works like a charm and got it on the (relatively) cheap. $241 shipped, no tax from newegg.com.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Check the link I provide

It is a link to a WSJ article that ran last week from Walt Mossberg.
http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20050420.html

In the article he mentions the KonicaMinolta Dimage X50. These are great camera's to use while mtb'ing. I use the original Dimage X. It is durable. Been through a lot of dust, drops and what not, and still works great.

Also, do a search on this site, and you will find a lot of threads on this subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brado1 said:
I went to bestbuy and got a canon powershot SD200 3.2megapix w/ 3x zoom this thing is awesome
under 300bucks and small perfect for riding and takes great shots even in low light!
why do you need 5Mp?
I've blown up some photos from those cheap throw away cameras and the quality wasn't what I was expected (as far as anyone could expect). I would like to enlarge some photos maybe even poster size and frame up nice. Am I over doing it with 5Mp?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got the SD300 (4MP) and like it so far. I have it in a case clipped to the chest strap of the camel back. It will also take 640x480 movies.

The pictures with any of the tiny cameras will not be as good as the digital SLR because of the size of the lens and sensor. There is some trade off with more megapixels in a tiny sensor and the pictures may not be better because of more noise.

You don't need a lot of pixels for good pictures. I had an old 3mp camera that took great 8x10 images. 3MP is plenty for snapshots.

·
gimme friction
1,136 Posts
Can't go wrong with Canon

I bought a 3.2 MP S220 (i think) about three years ago, back when the price premium for 5+ MP cameras was much higher than today.

The feature set is OK, but the main consideration for me was size. I figured if it did not fit in my pocket, I would not take it with me. The S220 is one of the digital versions of the Elf series, which are tiny. As a result, I can ride with it in my front or back pocket with no problems.

Also, the camera has an exceptional build quality, with almost all metal parts. A bit heavy, but quite small. Good battery life, especially if you use the optical view finder instead of the digital one.

If you can still find them, the Canon Powershot series (A40, A80, etc.) are exceptional values. Only real drawbacks are the build quality (plastic) and AA batteries, instead of a rechargable version. Some people prefer standard AAs due to widespread availability, but they are generally heavier, and are wasteful if you don't swap them out with rechargeable ones.

I've also heard great things about the Minolta Dimage series.

As far as resolution: I can get excellent 8" x 10" prints with the 3.2 MP resolution. I print these at home on Canon paper using a Canon printer. Since this is the largest size I can do by myself, I've never tried anything bigger, which would likely illustrate the shortcomings of the 3.2 MP resolution (purple fringing and 'jaggies').

Are you really going to be blowing stuff up to 'poster size'? If so, the extra megapixels are probably worth it. Just be aware that prints this size get very expensive. If you will actually be producing smaller prints (like up to 8 x 10), go with a 4 MP version that is small and has the feature set you need.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Look for a Sony DSC-V1. Its a discontinued model but a lot of camera for the money. They are 5.2 megapix and have alot of features. They are still under warrenty and Sony still stands behind the product.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Matt22 said:
I broke my old kodak digital camera quite a while back. I had been looking for something to replace it for about 6 months, and finally settled on the latest Canon Digital Ixus 40, a very nice 4.0 mega pixel camera that does absolutely everything I will ever need a camera to do.

It is compact, easily fits in your shirt pocket, has a large [for it's size] LCD screen, and is super-easy to use. All the controls are straight forward and the camera takes beautiful photos.

I'm very happy with it.

R.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
i just bought a Canon Powershot G6 and i'm totally diggin it so far. Still have so much more to learn since the camera can be much more than just a point and click. Anyways this website was SUPER helpful in my finding a camera.
http://www.dpreview.com/

AND DON'T BUY FROM ABE'S OF MAINE! i bought from there and they took forever to deliver my camera, that wasn't so bad, but they lied to me 4 TIMES sayin it was on the way, shady shady business.

Check these out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a look at the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200. It has 7.2 mega pixels, 3x zoom, the battery last forever and can record video until the memory stick is full. I paid $399 for the camera and bought a 1 GB memory stick. I can shoot over 300 picture or 45 minutes of video with one battery charge and one memory stick.
It is not as small as the Canon Elph cameras, but still small enough to carry it while you're riding.
You'll find more detail here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P200/P200A.HTM

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Canon SD200-300-400 are all very good. Take a look at how fast they turn on and are ready to take a picture; around 1sec.
The video quality of these Canon SD cameras are also amazing.

The Sony P200 is also good. At $399, that is among the best price i've seen.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Skookum said:
AND DON'T BUY FROM ABE'S OF MAINE! i bought from there and they took forever to deliver my camera, that wasn't so bad, but they lied to me 4 TIMES sayin it was on the way, shady shady business.
Com'on, "Abe" Lincoln and "Maine" are the words of honesty! ;)

Know someone who dealt with that crappy co, And I have had my share of dealing with others like them. Now, I just stay with B&H. They have good fair prices and oustanding service.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.