Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just as the title says, buy new or complete. only a small handful of you know, that I'm looking to get sort of a beater DJ bike. mainly a bike that I can take down to sea otter and then to whistler, because this time around, there wont be enough room for me to store my P. series in the back of the car. I dont want to use the P. series as a beater, mainly because I love the bike to death, and an "upgrade" for me would just be another P. series. so, I've got a complete bike purchase idea, and a build idea. I'll list a few of the specs on both.

Complete. GT Moto 2005. Dirt Jam Pro, Sun Singletrack/Deore wheelset. Hussefelt Cranks/bar/stem, kenda yellow kirin tires, Truvativ Boxguide, Shimano Deore RD, Alivio Shifter. IRD sealed headset. $465.00

and my build was going to look something like this; 2005 Azonic Steelhead Frame, Used 04-05-06 Marzocchi DJ III, Sun ditchwitch 26 front 24 rear/specialized hub, hussefelt cranks. Ironhorse stem/trans X bars, maxxis high roller tires, SS setup ~$450.00

as you can see, the azonic would have a better fork....but most all of the components are OEM/ "alloy" parts. where as the GT is all name brand parts. I would keep the drivetrain on the GT. because this would be my "do everything that your fully is over kill for" so DJ's to AM to XC to street. so the gears I wouldent mind. my other option is to kind of build my AM bike to do the same type of riding...but its so nice at 25 pounds. so I'm thinking maybe a dedicated jumper would be better.

so what way should I go? I can get a full parts list on the GT if someone needs it. really not looking to go out and spend 5-6 hundro used or new. because this bike is sort of comparible to those. dirt jam fork might get replaced, but it'll work untill I decide to replace.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snaky69 said:
I'm not sure I'd by the GT in all honesty. Why don't you use that money you'd spend on the GT for your rumble or your P?
I'm actually starting to lean that way. tora 302 with poplock for the rumble, new wheelset for the P. new brakes for the P. and new bars and pedals. I'm just so afraid to take the P. places, love that bike so much :p I guess when it comes down to it. if it gets destroyed or stolen, then a 07 P. is in store for my garage.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
todd_freeride said:
I'm actually starting to lean that way. tora 302 with poplock for the rumble, new wheelset for the P. new brakes for the P. and new bars and pedals. I'm just so afraid to take the P. places, love that bike so much :p I guess when it comes down to it. if it gets destroyed or stolen, then a 07 P. is in store for my garage.
that's the route I'd take. Put your coinage into building up or upgrading one or two nice quality bikes and ride the hell out of'em anyway... Instead of just a single decent one that you're saving for marriage or something, then spreading the money around to a few disposable bikes that all serve about the same purpose...

or just save your cash altogether at the moment, ride your current rigs til' they die, then get that '07 P you have your eyes on. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.