Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help me find a good bike!

Anybody have any advice? I really wish I could post images or links or make my own threads. At the very least there should be a stickied thread in which people can ask about bikes (what it's worth, quality, price) they are considering buying.

There is an old Specialized Hardrock Comp I am considering. It is $175:

h ttp://img.claspics.com/27xyjkce/h2qfns5k/1338142994-877.JPG_m.jpg

(Remove the space between "h" and "ttp" to view a picture of the bike)

Here's another Hardrock for $150:

h ttp://images.craigslist.org/5K15Ja5Ma3E83Ff3l7c52a9768d2a5c571ff8.jpg
*(Remove space between "h" and "ttp" to view)

Here's an old Stumpjumper for $175:

h ttp://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bik/3029767969.html

Are any of these good deals? Do they look like they are in good condition? How do I tell if it's in good condition?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently bought a 1997 rockhopper in good condition from Craigslist for $200. I thought it was a fair price. Curious to see what others say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump. I wish this was higher traffic. Sales on craigslist can go quickly. Should I post this in the Specialized forum?

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Jump on that first, blue HardRock comp. Seriously...I'd pass on the rest.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Well....

Anybody have any advice? I really wish I could post images or links or make my own threads. At the very least there should be a stickied thread in which people can ask about bikes (what it's worth, quality, price) they are considering buying.

There is an old Specialized Hardrock Comp I am considering. It is $175:

h ttp://img.claspics.com/27xyjkce/h2qfns5k/1338142994-877.JPG_m.jpg

(Remove the space between "h" and "ttp" to view a picture of the bike)

Here's another Hardrock for $150:

h ttp://images.craigslist.org/5K15Ja5Ma3E83Ff3l7c52a9768d2a5c571ff8.jpg
*(Remove space between "h" and "ttp" to view)

Here's an old Stumpjumper for $175:

h ttp://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bik/3029767969.html

Are any of these good deals? Do they look like they are in good condition? How do I tell if it's in good condition?

Most of us are out riding.....

There's really not much advice any of us can offer on these bikes because they're just pictures and there are no specs.

The last CL listing lists the frame size as 22.7", which I don't quite understand. If it's really a 22" frame, it's not going fit you unless you're 6' 5" or so.

Without knowing your size, the size of the bikes, the years of the bikes, etc. we're not really going to be able to help you.

In general, older Specialized bikes are decent and the price range you're in seems right for what they are.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Based on what?

I can't see the HR but the rest I'd pass on. They're all pretty old and pricey. Dish out a little more for a MUCH better bike.
$230 much newer 2011 diamondback w/ discs

$200 2012 Giant Escape
Small frame, but you can't choose too much when buying used.

Personally I'd go for the DB looks awesome for the price... well not really but still much better than the specialized bikes you showed me.
Have you ever ridden a steel Specialized? The Diamondback you referenced? I'd take an older steel Specialized over a newer bottom of the barrel entry level bike.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Okay...

Uh yes I have - mid 90's hardrock - and it sucked
There we have it. The definitive answer. All steel Specialized bikes suck because you rode one and had a poor experience. I assume it fit perfectly, had modern tires on it and a decent (newer) drive train as well?

I've ridden several older bikes. The biggest consideration (for me) was that they still hadn't quite figured out the geometry and they tended to have longer top tubes. So for me, I rode them a size smaller than I normally would have.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That 5-arm crank is from the 90s. The fork looks original as well. That isn't something that'll work like a new bike. I know old bikes - the wheels won't be quite straight, the gears won't runs quite smoothly, here a squeek, there a creak - it's going to be annoying.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Good points....

That 5-arm crank is from the 90s. The fork looks original as well. That isn't something that'll work like a new bike. I know old bikes - the wheels won't be quite straight, the gears won't runs quite smoothly, here a squeek, there a creak - it's going to be annoying.
You're right. My perspective was skewed in that I'm considering the frames with modern components, not with older or OEM parts.

I still don't think a DB with Tektro brakes are a step up, though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have tektro discs on my hardtail (the only on my album)... they aren't as good as my Hayes HFXs or Grimeca's - but they'll stop you. Contrary to what some people have said - I swapped in some BB5's and notice no better power at all.

I'd say it's worth a look. Check it out, ride it, he'll probably take 200 easily. I offered the seller $120 for this 2007 Ironhorse.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Get a newer bike, that FITS....

·
Titanium junkie
1,429 Posts
So the bikes I posted are not good? And the Diamondback is good?
Are you going to tell us how tall you are?
What amount of money you can spend?
No one can give you an answer without those questions answered.:confused:

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
So what would you do?
What I would do is probably much different than the advice I would offer in this forum.

I have enough parts sitting around that I could build up a fairly nice bike around the frame. I would buy the best of the 3 and build it up.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
no one can answer a question for you about buying any bike unless you make your FIRST post in the thread include the following:

1. your height
2. your budget
3. intended use- XC racing, dirt jumping, XC trails, downhill, urban/skateparks, street commuter, etc. are you going to ride the piss out of this bike like there's no tomorrow, or are you going to take the occasional bimble through a park?
4. the model, year, and SIZE of the bikes in question.

please get back to us on these or we can't offer you any helpful information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm 5' 9 1/2''. My budget is $200. I'd like to use it for transportation, but also to mountain bike with my friends occasionally.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts