Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got the opportunity to buy a used 2002 Gary Fisher Paragon hard tail through a friend of a friend and I'd be really grateful if you could advise me if it's still a good buy or not given its age and price.

I'm a relative newbie to mountain biking in terms of knowing what I'm talking about though I do ride every day on an old muddy Fox from my youth so am in need of an upgrade.

It's the exact model as per the following links:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike...002&Brand=Gary Fisher&Model=Paragon&Type=bike

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=37448

It also has the following upgrades according to this mutual friend who emailed me the spec:
" Shimano lx & xtr derailiers
Bontrager racelite cranks & chainwheels
Bontrager racelite wheels & Tyres
Bongrager racelite stem (upgrade)
Manitou mars elite air/oil forks (Inc. Maintenance pump)
Avid single digit 5 brakes
Easton monkeylite xc carbon bars (upgrade)
Use alien carbon seat post (upgrade)
Hope headset ( upgrade)"

Although I haven't seen the bike in person I've been sent a couple of pictures and my own friend who has seen it says it's in immaculate condition.

The seller friend of a friend is asking for £200 ($340) though I'm told he will most likely let it go for £150 ($250).

I don't mind buying an older bike and from my own research I can see that it was the top gary fisher model at the time but what I would like advising on is if an older bike is still worth buying or could I get a newer bike with similar quality or more advanced components for the same amount of money (still used and around $400 and under)?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks, Jon.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
You are not going to get a new bike equipped like that for under 400$. If everything is in good shape and the bike fits you 250$ would be in the ball park.Keep in mind that it come time to replace stuff some parts may be hard to get.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would get it for $250. Really shouldnt have a problem getting parts.Recently built a frame up from 96 and had no problems.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Looks like solid deal to me, given that it's in good shape. You may find the 24 spoke wheels (if it still has the stock ones) don't last forever, but the frame is quality enough that it would be worth doing some upgrades to as stuff wears out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Looks like it might be a solid deal then :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Another vote to get it. You'd do a lot worse trying to find something new for that price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again all, that's all really helpful info :)

Having spoken again to the friend in question it seems like £180 ($300) is likely to be the lowest he will go, so my dilemma is that could I be putting that £180 ($300) towards something better which I would be willing to do but am not sure at which point the cost would match the Gary Fisher.

I have been looking at something like the Voodoo Hoodoo which I know gets well reviewed and I could pick it up for around £250 ($400) used or £500 ($850) new. Would the Gary Fisher still have better components at £180 than the £250-500 I could get with the Voodoo?

Thanks all.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I kinda like the old Fisher. I never had one back in the day, but they were instrumental in some of the ways that current MTB geometry has evolved.

It sounds good to me.

The only thing I would caution you about is that if you're going to develop a "need" for disc brakes, you can't have one on the rear and you'd need a new front wheel. Since all the parts are available to replace and maintain rim brakes, though, as long as you're content with that, no big whoop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts