Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found an 04' big hit ill be picking up saturday. other than a ti-spring and different tires how else can i lighten it up economically?
as far as the jr.t's go i know the reviews gave em' hell. are they THAT bad? if i buy the bike from an out of town shop can i upgrade at my local shop?(swap fork for something else)
where can i find info on how to change the oil in the jr.? the review boards are talking about increasing the oil weight to increase the rebound. any one know how to do this? im 180#, do i need heavier springs?

·
Registered
112 Posts
tsx said:
i found an 04' big hit ill be picking up saturday. other than a ti-spring and different tires how else can i lighten it up economically?
as far as the jr.t's go i know the reviews gave em' hell. are they THAT bad? if i buy the bike from an out of town shop can i upgrade at my local shop?(swap fork for something else)
where can i find info on how to change the oil in the jr.? the review boards are talking about increasing the oil weight to increase the rebound. any one know how to do this? im 180#, do i need heavier springs?

Lighter tires make a big difference on how the bike feels and accelerate.
You can use tubeless rims or use your non-UST rims and use Stans No tubes sealant.
But the Bighit Expert isn't -that- heavy, my BigHit with some upgrades and Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 single ply's is around 42lbs.
I have a 36T and an 11-34Tcassette and I even use it for long enduro trips.
Forget the Ti spring it's too expensive, you could use the money for other 'better' upgrades.

The Jr-T 'spikes' on fast stutter bumps and that's why some people don't like em.
You can buy a HSCV Super-T cartridge for about 170$ and the spiking problem is solved.
But it's a great fork for drops and NS technical stuff.

The marzocchi site has a tech manual, but in short : you unscrew the top caps and add oil or get the 'old' oil out,
measure how much it is and replace it with heavier oil, like 10WT oil instead of the standard 7.5WT.
If your fork bottoms, add a little oil until it doesn't bottom anymore.
Marzocchi forks are super easy to work on.

I'm 180 also and I have the stock springs, I just had to add some 7.5WT oil to prevent bottoming.

Have fun on Saturday, you will love that bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked the zocci site and it says i need 265cc oil for my weight.. can i use motorcycle fork oil? the site says to use only synthetic oil. i believe this was discussed somewhere in this forum. how do u search them?? if i save the money on the ti-spring, other than the tires what else?????

·
Who pickin the banjo?
286 Posts
tsx said:
other than the tires what else?????
JUST RIDE IT! When something breaks replace it with something better....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts