Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Buying advice Mountain / Hybrid

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  2021Mach6 
#1 ·
Good evening everyone....

It has been roughly 6 years since I was last on a bike. The bug has bitten me again, and I am looking to get back into riding. Previously, I only road off road doing mainly single-track trails. I am looking to get back into riding to again go off road but also for the fitness aspect of it. I am a bit stuck on which bike to get currently. I like the idea and thought of the mountain bike style as it is what I have always had. I am curious though, if I also want to ride my neighborhood (paved roads) how much of a drag it would be to do so on a 29x3.00 inch MTB tire? The bikes I am looking at currently are:

and

I have budget up to $2000. I considered a more hybrid bike, but nothing jumped out at me. I am 6'1 and weight 205lbs. I suppose my question to you all is, which of these bikes would you choose, is there a comparable Hybrid out there that may suit my needs better? Thanks in advance! I am not picky on brands or buying online. I am open.

See less See more
#17 ·
Based on the fact that you're asking this question on a MTB forum, I'm going to say a hybrid would be a bad purchase for you. Get a mountain bike.

Hybrids are a marketing ploy. They're great for riding around the neighborhood with your kids, but anything outside of that they're awful for.
Agree 100% ... Hybrids ARE a marketing ploy. They ride fine on paved roads, but anything more than a gravel trail, you'll have a flat tire the second you hit a rock or root on a proper MTB trail.

#3 · (Edited)
For that money you can get a capable hardtail with a good performing air fork.
It'll be capable of a broad range of offroad trails. A lot of fun.
And it'll work fine on bike paths and gravel roads. More rolling resistance on paved but still OK.
This bike gets recommended. . .Ragley Big Al 1.0. Comes in and out of stock at Wiggle/CRC. Get on the notification list. Link. It has the best fork in this price range.

More reviews on that site.

#4 ·
A mountain bike is more versatile than a hybrid, ironically. This is because a mountain bike can use any type of tire (except very skinny road tires or very wide fat bike tires). The tire is what affects the performance of a bike more than any one other component. So a mountain bike with road slick tires at high pressure (50 psi for example) will be very fast on road, while the same bike with 2.5 inch minion tires (or similar) at lower pressure (20 psi for example) can handle almost any trail. Hybrids are not really for trail use.

#5 ·
When i first got back into cycling, i bought a hybrid with the thought that it would be a "do it all" bike. i quickly figured out that it did not handle trail riding very well, so i fairly quickly ended up adding a hard tail mountain bike to the stable. I still have that hybrid, set up with a rack and panniers that i use as my commuter/grocery getter....

If you plan to do any trail riding i agree that a hard tail mountain bike is a better choice.

#7 ·
Been looking for quite some time now. May have it narrowed down to these two....Thoughts?

Price is fairly similar in both however Canyon does charge an additional $99 to ship but also adds tools in the box for assembly.

#10 ·
Xtrada 7 has a Suntour coil spring fork. A spring for a damper. Those are designed to primarily look like a mtbike fork. Their performance is best on bike paths and smooth trails. Any techy trails with rocks and roots overwhelm them and the plastic bushings inside. The air version XCR has one metal bushing and is the lowest level fork the guys at Suntour recommend for actual trail riding. You need air.
You can get a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 like the Ragley has for about $500 as an upgrade. Best damper and performance until you spend $1k on a fork. So good Fox had to buy out the company.

#12 ·
Xtrada 7 has a air fork
Suntour XCR 32 Air LOR, 120mm Travel, Air Spring, Preload & Rebound Adjuster, Hydraulic Lock Out, Tapered 1-1/8" To 1-1/2" Threadless Steerer, 15x100mm Thru-Axle

My friend just bought a Vitus Sentier that has the Marzocchi Bomber Z2 and I agree that is a very nice fork. I happened to have a ride last week with 3 bikes with the Suntour Raidon, the Marzocchi Bomber Z2 and a Fox 36 on a FS. We just rotate the bike to ride on the trail and really felt the difference between the forks.

I thinkif OP is even considering a hybird, the Xtrada 7 with Suntour air fork is probably good enough for the type of riding he will be doing. I had the Suntour Raidon with my first bike for 8 years riding XC trail time to time and very happy with it.

#13 ·
You can ride a mountain bike on pavement, but you can take a hybrid on a proper mountain bike trail.

I'd get the best hardtail you can get for your budget, and I'd be looking between 120-140 on the fork. Depends on how gnarly your trails are and what you wanna do.

Bikes are SO capable nowadays that a lotta people get back into it like you, and they quickly realize a modern trail bike can handle A LOT more than what you previously rode. You'll be happy you more travel, at least if we're playing the odds that's how it'll go. Ultimately these questions end up with the person asking being the only one that could answer, so do your research and trust your gut.

#16 · (Edited)
Assembling isn't an issue. It comes 90% together, you'll just have to put on the seat, bars, and grips. They even give you the tools to do it and it's really easy. Don't come with pedals though so be sure to grab them along with grease (I don't think Canyon provides any).

Solid choice though, you simply can't find that kind of value at a LBS. Just be sure to have one that'll service/maintain/repair your bike if you're unable to do so, or don't want to do it yourself. Wasn't the case not too long ago, but nowadays bike shops will service any bike no matter where it came from.

Good luck and please check back in to let us know how you like it!

#15 ·
The Xtrada 7 linked by the OP has a Suntour XCR32 HLO(hydraulic lockout) 120mm fork.
That link doesn't mention air until you get down into the more comprehensive specs. I didn't get there. My mistake. Not a 15x110 Boost fork. 15x100. But it would work fine on trails. Like a Raidon but with one metal and one plastic bushing inside instead of two metal bushings. it'll work better if you remove the grease from the air spring side and add 30W oil instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.