Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My current bike is a 06 Kona Stinky and I've had enough of pushing/lifting/attempting to cycle (TERRIBLE for you're knees
) this TANK up hill just to go back down again. I'd like to think I could get at least £500 for this that I can put towards a lighter MTB that suits more what I want to do.

I'm looking to treat myself to a new hardtail mountain bike but don't have enough knowledge to recognise the quality of the specs and components therefore I'm unable to translate value for money effectively. I know everyone has their own taste and opinion but any feedback would be much appreciated!

In terms of usage I would hope to be out 3 or 4 times a week as I'm looking to build my fitness back up. Terrain would include cross country, forest trails, just your general mountain biking tracks.

Here's a few bikes which I have shortlisted, most over my budget but my birthday is soon so hopefully I will have some extra cash.

Cube LTD SL 29
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod114143

Whyte 901 (2013 Model)
https://whyte.bike/2013/product.php?xPro ... p;xSec=149

Radon ZR Race 29 6.0 Shimano
https://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR ... 25878_.htm

On-One 456 Evo Carbon Shimano Deore
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456CDEO ... ntain-bike

At the price I'd expect all of those bikes to be very good quality but as I said I don't have the specs and component knowledge to analyse which would be the best buy for my needs. I'm sure there's plenty of other suggestions within my budget so please let me know! Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well this is the 29er forum, so you'll probably get a biased opinion. That being said, I'll kick it off. From what you described, you'll probably want a 29er. The radon looks good for my money. If you can get on a trek x-cal 9, give it a whirl.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this is the 29er forum, so you'll probably get a biased opinion. That being said, I'll kick it off. From what you described, you'll probably want a 29er. The radon looks good for my money. If you can get on a trek x-cal 9, give it a whirl.
Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like Cube. After a lot of research, I bought a Cube Analog in Germany a couple years ago. When the first one was stolen, I researched all my options again, and then bought another Cube.

Like LilSanch said, you probably want a 29" hardtail in this price range. If you can wait, then shop the sales, and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Απ: Buying advice - Hardtail MTB (£1,000 Budget)

The Whyte and On-one options are trail/am hardtails,so more suitable to playfull,aggressive riding, while still being fine for non-racing XC. Coming from a stinky,perhaps you'll find one of them suits your style better. If I ever get to upgrade my hardtail the whyte is at the top of my list.

The other two options are classic xc 29ers. Good for covering distance at a good pace,esp if you have the legs,but not playfull or adventurous by nature.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered the Scott Scale? 2012 and 2013 hardtail of the year per the attached reviews. I have the Scale 970 (albeit with upgraded fork) and absolutely love it. It's ideal for the type of riding you describe and the 960 is around your budget.

Scott Scale 960 mountain bike review

SCOTT Scale 970 Bike - SCOTT Sports
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I had a Scott YZ1 as a kid to potter about on which I certainly got my moneys worth out of! I will have a look at the Scott.

I'm leaning towards the cube at the moment as I can get it on a 0% finance deal. Has anyone used this system to purchase a bike? Is there anything I should be weary of?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts