Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have an old schwinn homegorwn and still has the original RS SID.

i've been happy with it's performance but not to sure what other XC shocks were avaliable to me?

I see a lot about FOX shocks on here but know nothing about them.

how does everyone feel about them / vs the RS SID???

while keeping in mind i like the air coils, and it being so light.

what are my XC shock options??

·
Registered
367 Posts
I guess for XC you want to consider weight, lock out features and maybe some compression/rebound control.

How much travel is suitable for your frame?

What is the Axel 2 Crown lengh of your fork now? You probably want something the same length so you don't mess up your geometry.

Finally, but probably most importantly you want to think about the price. How much can you afford. 2008 forks are going for good prices now.

What is it about your fork that you don't like?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right its just an old SID a 98 or 99 model, she leaks like no other now and i have to carry a shock pump with me when ever i ride. How can i race under those circumstances.

your right i dont want to mess the geometry up, i can climb like no other. 100mm

im not sure what a lock out is or wheat it does.

ive been reading up on damping feaures and i like what ive seen so far.

·
Registered
289 Posts
-eddie. said:
right its just an old SID a 98 or 99 model, she leaks like no other now and i have to carry a shock pump with me when ever i ride. How can i race under those circumstances.
I'm sure it can be repaired.

-eddie. said:
im not sure what a lock out is or wheat it does.
A lockout is a knob that allows you to "lock" the fork so that it doesn't move. It's useful for climbing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it cant, ive scoured the forums here for a fix, they say thats just how that year's model was.

anyways, a 10 year old fork is OLD. i love my homegrown and its time to upgrade.

i was looking at the 2009 rock shock SID race/team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i upgrade, i keep the philosophy you get what you pay for, i try to get the best i can so i wont have to upgrade for another 10 years like i am now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The new SID has a lockout feature.

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/crosscountry/sid/#tab1

Damping Adjust:
External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with external Floodgate.

The floodgate allows you to tune a pedal platform, as stiff as you want it (to feel locked out), and if you start hitting bumps will actuate the rest of the suspension.

It is lightweight and will be perfect for you. i guess to make sure it is perfect, you could measure the crown to axel length of your current model and see how similar it is. It is probably very much the same though.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
You could probably repair the fork you have now and save a bunch of cash. I recomend suspension experts up in Asheville. http://www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com/

A new fork is gonna cost quite a bit. So much so that you may consider a whole new bike. Do you have disc brakes? Most of the high end forks will only accept disc brakes. If you want to upgrade your front brake to a disc you will probably need a new front wheel that will accept the brake rotor. Usally it makes more sense to repair your old fork then buy a new one. And if your thinking of puting a new bling fork on a 10 year old frame then it usualy makes more sense to buy a whole new bike. Frames (especialy aluminum) don't last forever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have given that some thought. But i do want to keep the frame, i love it.

A front disc brake does make sense, more stopping power, less maintenance, an affordable upgrade.

is worth keeping in mind, but i am keeping the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.