Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I'm thinking about buying a used race bike (‘03 S-Works HT w/ full XTR, Crossmax, weighs about 20#, etc.) I know for a fact that this bike was raced in the World Championships, and, therefore, was professionally maintained.
My question is, how much damage will racing have done to it? I can get it for about $1500, but is it worth my money? I was thinking about switching the parts over to my current race bike to get a better build on it. I know that the drive train (rings, chain, and cassette) is probably worn and will need to be replaced, but what about shifters, derualiers, cranks, fork (RS Sid WC Carbon). Will these have life left in them?
Just looking for your thoughts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
is this from max plaxton? he's a good guy. if i remember correctly, he only raced it for one season.. and i think racebikes are bound to be less worn/ridden than his training bikes.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My experience, FWIW

I bought an ex-race bike from a fairly famous 24-hour racer. This was about 4 years ago, and the bike was a 1-year-old Klein Adept Pro. The frame was in great shape, the Fox fork was new, the bike looked good, and the price was right. I bought it at Veloswap (Denver), so didn't have a chance to actually ride it (no pedals, and no time).

Over the course of the next year, I replaced most of the drivetrain and the brifters. The old stuff sort of worked, but truly had been "used". I also replaced all the cables and housing, and finally replaced the wheels, as his "race wheels" were super-durable, but heavy and well-worn.

At the next Veloswap a year later, I bought another ex-race bike from Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski. This time a Litespeed Unicoi that was Jeremy's back-up to his hardtail race bike. He claimed to have only ridden it once, and it was in great shape except for a flat front tire, so I believe him.

Sometimes you get lucky doing this, other times not.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
synkronized23 said:
is this from max plaxton? he's a good guy. if i remember correctly, he only raced it for one season.. and i think racebikes are bound to be less worn/ridden than his training bikes.
Yea- I've seen his results- it would be cool to have his bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
nc-rider said:
Yea- I've seen his results- it would be cool to have his bike.
i've communicated with him for a while. i was going to buy that same exact bike from him a while back, but the only kicker is that it didn't come with disc brakes... but it's a great bike. and if you do get it (do it..), post some pics of it when you've set it up. good luck and have fun.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Used Profesional gear

In professinal photography I learned not to trust the appearance of gear. We took exceptional care of our stuff and it always looked great. What you learned was that you really wore it out on the inside.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have bought a couple of used race bikes and while ready to race when I bought them a lot of stuff needed replacing within a few months inclucing chain, rings, cassette, bottom bracket and wheels. The guys I bought the bikes from had them for a couple of years and dumped them when they moved up to new bikes. The shock probably wont go as far as you think so figure that in your calculation. I am not sure if a race shock goes much more than four years or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts