Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wandering, but not lost
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go look at a several year old used Fox RLT this weekend. It’s been rebuilt, photos look great, good price. A visual inspection I can do,… nicks, dings, rubs, leaks, etc. It won’t be on a bike though, so I’ve been trying to think of some sort of diagnostics I can do to test the internal workings? Put a gauge on it and check that it’s holding pressure is one thing. One thought was to let some air out so I can at least work the shock some, maybe check for worn bushings. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
check for worn bushings = groove on front side stanchions. It'll leak if you see groove. If I were you, I would bring a wheel stand, bike carrier with fork mounts or whatever to secure the fork to cycle it instead of pushing the wheel tabs on the ground. Seller would appreciate it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check for wear on the dropouts, after a lot of wear and tear the dropout will get narrower, this may cause issues with alignment of disc brakes.

Personally, I'd bring a crescent wrench or appropriate socket set...pop off one of the top caps and smell the oil, see what sort of condition this guy has kept the fork in. I've bought forks that people advertise as 'almost new' or 'in great condition, serviced every year' only to find out that the oil is contaminated and smells like it hasn't been changed in years (it'll be a raunchy sewerish smell).

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
The big thing to check for is stanchion wear, but you generally can't see that without pulling the lowers off. If you want to make sure everything is, bring a pan, bring a 10mm socket, bring some extra oil, and go ahead and pull the lowers off the fork. If you know what you're doing it'll take 15 minutes off, on, and oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.