Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so its time to buy a indoor trainer. Do I need to spend over $200 to get a decent one? What do I look for and what can I expect from usung one? Can I build strength or/and endurance by using one? It will allow me to be on the bike more often. Do I need to put a slick tire on the rear of my bike, or will the Mt. tires suffice?
Thanks for any help,
Sean

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Try to get a fluid type. The mag and wind types are famous for being loud, although I think all trainers make some noise. Slick tire will help immensly in the noise department also, although it's not required. I ordered a cheapo slick tire once I heard my mountain bike tire on it.

I have the Cycleops Fluid2 and think it's great, although still makes some noise. The resistance is good, it's stable, has a solid feel to it, and has been really reliable. But I think it's probably out of your price range.

You're biggest challenge on a trainer will be to not get bored. Using an mp3 player, watching tv, or having a book holder helps. Personally I use my iPod and occasionally listen to music while also reading.

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
I got a really nice trainer at my lbs for 100 bucks, a nice blackburn fluid one. Someone bought it, got on it once and brought it back. A friend of mine got the cateye full trainer thing for 150 at a lbs too. Look around for something like that, you dont have to buy a shiney new trainer, they all get the job done. But I agree LBmtb, buy fluid. I would get a riser block for your front wheel so it doesnt feel like you are pointing into the ground. Check out nashbar, they have a music stand type thing that sits on your handlebars, so you can read while you pedal. It will get really boring unless you have a tv, or mp3, or reading material. And a fan is a good idea too. You will be able to keep in shape, but I beleive that the best way to be a better rider is to ride. Also, dont burn yourself out, or you might not want to ride come spring.
Hope that helps,
Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
smw said:
Ok so its time to buy a indoor trainer. Do I need to spend over $200 to get a decent one? What do I look for and what can I expect from usung one? Can I build strength or/and endurance by using one? It will allow me to be on the bike more often. Do I need to put a slick tire on the rear of my bike, or will the Mt. tires suffice?
Thanks for any help,
Sean
No, IMHO you can get by with $200 or less. I use a mag trainer that cost $100. I have seen some Cycle Ops Mag Trainers brand new for $160. With most trainers you will need a slick rear, mtb tires will cause more noise and wear. Look for a trainer with adjustable resistance and a way to measure your workout. I use a heart rate monitor to track my workouts. You can build strength and endurance on a trainer.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I owned a cycleops fluid 2 and sold it...you can find them on ebay for around $180.....i couldnt handle the heat(you will sweat like an idiot inside with no wind in your face) and boredom.......but i get year round riding oppotrunities so i justified the sale......

I think a slick tire is a must (however i only used my road bike on the trainer) and expect that tire to wear out or i should say develop a flat spot in the center of the tread after a while....so a cheapo slick tire for sure......

adjustable resistance would be nice as well...

also just use a book opened up to level your front tire....those riser block accessories are a waste......

-Boz

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
How do you 1) balance an open book on your front tire and 2) look over your handlebars and down to the book?

And no I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually curious.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LBmtb said:
How do you 1) balance an open book on your front tire and 2) look over your handlebars and down to the book?

Alright thanks for all the input. I ordered a fluid trainer with handlebar tensioner from performance, normally $229 on sale for $159. I cant stand the thought of losing all my endurance gains this winter, so this should help. Ill use it tues. and thurs. and ride outdoors on weekends. Oh my wife is gonna love this, me riding in the living room. Guess Ill deal with that when the time comes. :D

Sean

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Congrats and good luck! Remember to mix in a bit of reistance training also . . .

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
LBmtb said:

If you are asking me............im refering to riser blocks... not reading a book........a riser block levels your front wheel to be even with the height of your rear wheel in the trainer.....get it? :)

yeah u would be a bad muther if you wanted to read from the floor or could balance a book on the wheel opened.....

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It finally showed up. I rode last nite. It was actually kinda fun, although I only rode for about 30 minutes. I was sweating more then I do in 90 degree heat, and that was outside in 50 degree coolness. S ure felt good to spin. I will have to figure out what works best for me to use the trainer. I would like to get up to an hour 3 times a week, but keeping it fun is more important. :D

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts