Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a second bike, besides a Spot?

First some background info:
I already own a Five Spot, but it's a very light one at 25.8 lbs. Now I am at a point of buying a heavy wheelset for rough use and a second cockpit (more rise, shorter stem) for more comfy ride in the Alps OR getting a second bike

Since I live in Belgium and need to climb a lot to get up the small hills overthere a Spot will do (a Flux might be even better for the climbing part) but sometimes - mostly when biking in Germany or French - I just feel that the Spot is to compromised for what it is used for. It should be the best of both worlds, XC and real trailriding, but I feel it isn't.

The best solution was to get a Flux and to buy a Six Pack for the heavy use, but (already owning a Spot) now it's to late for that.

What should I do now?
Will a Six Pack be different enough to justify buying one, when already owning a Spot?
Or will I doubt every ride which one to take and should I therefore just stay with one bike, the Spot?

Is the difference between the Spot and a Pack clear enough to have fun owning both? Or will I always think about the advantages of the bike left in the garage? Biking the Spot knowing the Pack would descent better, biking the Pack knowing the Spot would handle better on the climbing part?

Or should I go for a different direction, buying a bike which differs more from the Spot (like a VP Free for example)

Pls share your thoughts with me! :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I see you talk about light weight, climbing, and such, but you don't really mention why you need a heavier bike like a Pack or a VPFree, so perhaps explain why you are even shopping for a light-FR bike or in what aspects the Spot seems to be too much of a compromise.

A sub-26 pound Spot? Wow.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
It sounds like you simply built up your Spot too much on the XC side. A DHX (coil or air), a PIKE Dual Air U-Turn or an AM1, a Gravity Dropper and some larger tires like Fat Albert and Nobby Nicks ought to breathe Trail into the build of you Spot. You could swap builds depending on where you ride.

I am curious to see your answers to Tcheesy's questions.

_MK

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It sounds like you are more of a climber than descender. If so, maybe you should move all your light parts to make a Flux XC race bike and beef up your 5 Spot to make it an AM bike.

If it were me (more of a descender than climber) I'd keep the 5 Spot light and build a FR 6 Pack.

As for differences well the 5 Spots with a Float or RP3 are kind of stiff IMO, but the 6 Pack with a DHX Coil is pretty plush. I notice a big difference between these two bikes. However, a 5 Spot with Romic or Fox coil starts to close the gap with the 6 Pack. Because there is only 1" difference in travel a lot depends on the shock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Type of riding:
Since I live in Belgium I mainly ride in the forest with a lot of climbing and some nice descends, but the hills are not higher than 650 meter, so after a few minutes of descending there is a need to climb again

However, I love descending and because of that I would like to visit some bikeparks in Germany and French (compare it to whistler, maybe a little less rough). Overthere I would mainly descend with some shuttle runs and if no shuttle is present a few climbs as well

So actually I want to explore a different kind of riding and I doubt between the beefing up the Spot or buying a second bike for heavy use.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Sounds to me like the trips to the lifts won't be very frequent as you have to cross a few borders to get there. Maybe you ought to consider a lower budget bike to take to the lifts, like a 7" Kona or something? And keep your 5* the way it is. It kind of sounds like your Spot is right in between the trails you want to ride and not particularly fit for either. To much bike for the local trails and too little for what you want to do at the lifts.

_MK

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Based on that answer to Tscheezy's questions, you might as well check out the Highline!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to go for the second bike and in the mean time enlighten the Spot even more, so it will be a real weight weenie super plush XC bike

Now I will start to compare a lot of frames so I can make a good choice

Some frames on the shortlist ( I really have to decide what I want..):

Intense 6.6
Turner Six Pack
Nicolai Helius FR
Santa Cruz VP Free, but that is kind of a different league..

Maybe even a RM Switch (sometimes they are on ebay for really attractive prices)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
msxx said:
Decided to go for the second bike and in the mean time enlighten the Spot even more, so it will be a real weight weenie super plush XC bike

Now I will start to compare a lot of frames so I can make a good choice

Some frames on the shortlist ( I really have to decide what I want..):

Intense 6.6
Turner Six Pack
Nicolai Helius FR
Santa Cruz VP Free, but that is kind of a different league..

Maybe even a RM Switch (sometimes they are on ebay for really attractive prices)
Would you mind throwing in your specs?
I'd curious to see what it takes to have a sub 26 Spot.

Edit: just saw your signature.... yeah , the Tune stuff won't do in the Alps.
My Spot is slowy leaning towards the dark side of the force and puting on some weight to be more versatile.
got rid of the 180/160 Oros for 180/180 M4s.
The Talas RLC is off to leave room for a Pike dual air.
the front Xmax XL will be shortly replaced by a King/ sapim X ray/ DT Swiss 4.1 combo.
From my experience of the French alps this will still be ok to ride and shuttle.
Keeping in my I can't afford two bikes , the spot is the bike for me to and down.

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Are you on a budget for the 'heavy use 2nd bike'?

If not all those you listed are great bikes, pick one and have fun.

Otherwise, to save $$, check out the new Transition bike company. Super Value bikes, they would be great especially since you are venturing into new riding territory.

You could even go used to save some coin as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My Spot is slowy leaning towards the dark side of the force and puting on some weight to be more versatile.
the front Xmax XL will be shortly replaced by a King/ sapim X ray/ DT Swiss 4.1 combo.
From my experience of the French alps this will still be ok to ride and shuttle.
Keeping in my I can't afford two bikes , the spot is the bike for me to and down.[/QUOTE]

What did you like and not like about the Formula Oro's? I rode a friend's bike with them around a parking lot and they were set up with zero modulation. How was the modulation on yours?
You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks, for you time.

Kane

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
zkampyman said:
What did you like and not like about the Formula Oro's? I rode a friend's bike with them around a parking lot and they were set up with zero modulation. How was the modulation on yours?
You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks, for you time.

hi, Kane

The formulas were ok in terms of modulation (though limited) and were excellent in terms of stopping power and weight.
Big concern was the reliability. Was concerned at first and finally packed up miles on them until the lever did not return during an extra wet XC race.
Turns out the master cylinder on the first batch was weak, I got them changed on warranty service and decided to try something new.
Overall they worked more than OK, I guess my move was done on a UGI case.I highly recommand them if you're sure of the batch it comes from and if you enjoy late breaking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
accident prone said:

Keeping in my I can't afford two bikes , the spot is the bike for me to and down.
Specs:
Frame: Turner Five Spot maat L 2880 gram
Fork: Fox Float Talas RLC 1720 gram
Headset: Syncros Hardcore 120 gram
Stem: Race Face Deus 100 mm 0 rise 130 gram
Handlebar: Race Face Next Low Riser 180 gram
Wheels: Chris King ISO-disc/CX-ray/X717 1550 gram
Seatpost: Tune Starkes Stuck 27,2/420 220 gram
Seatclamp: Tune Wurger 30 gram
Sadlle: Selle Italia SLR 135 gram
Bracket: Tune AC38 110/73mm 160 gram
Cranks: Race Face Next LP 650 gram
Front mech: Shimano XTR M960 150 gram
Rear mech.: Shimano XTR 197 gram
Cassette: Shimano XTR M960 12-32t 242 gram
Chain: Shimano HG93 290 gram
Brakes: Formula Oro 180/180 850 gram
Cables: Gore Extra Light 100 gram
Shifters: Shimano XTR M952 rapidfire 252 gram
Grips: RF Good 'n Evil 100 gram
Tires outer: Conti Vertical Pro 1210 gram
Tires inner: Schwalbe 300 gram
Pedals: Eggbeater Twin Ti 218 gram

11684 gram

That's the clean weight, but the actual weight is a littel bit more since I don't use a dry bike but I use to put some grease on bolts and chain and stuff, total weight is 11,75 kg = 25,8

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SHAHEEB said:
Are you on a budget for the 'heavy use 2nd bike'?

If not all those you listed are great bikes, pick one and have fun.

Otherwise, to save $$, check out the new Transition bike company. Super Value bikes, they would be great especially since you are venturing into new riding territory.

You could even go used to save some coin as well.
The main goal is not to save $$ but if it is not necessary to spent bucks, then I rather don't. Can you give an URL, so I can check it out? You made me curious :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
accident prone said:

Welcome to the dark side...

My spot has been torturetested in the passportes de soleil (80km of DH at portes du soleil) and found excellent ;)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1009065#poststop
pics from passportes (which accident prone already knows)

and the webcam movie: http://users.skynet.be/bettes/Morzine2005.wmv
enter stage bettes @1min 20sec greetz
spec:
fox vanilla - romic
hope M4 mono 200-180
ck-dt supercomp-mavic D521-micheling DH comp 24 and 16 2.5
dual ring xtr (38-28)
crankbros eggbeaters (for xc style :D )

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
http://www.transitionbikes.com/

under their bike links, the preston is a worthy thrashable/pedalable bike. the gran mal may be overkill if you are going up many hills, check out the dirt bag too.

I like these bikes...

·
... I guess you won't be
1,969 Posts
why not just get a Honda CRF450R and just fly up the hills......

You can't have your cake and eat it too...either pedal harder, or suck it up.....then again, you really should re-evaluate just why you are in such a hurry to pedal uphill!

You would not be able to handle the heftiness of a Pack, you would think about it constantly! A spot with a marz Z1 and some beefy tires w/ a nice riser bar is what you are really looking for. Light enough and ready to rock!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
thats what i said! wow is right! my friggin flux is 26lbs fer gawds sake. and ya make a good point too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts