Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2016 kashima Fox Float on eBay that the seller has listed as new, but it's sold as-is/no box/etc. Might be a silly question here, but should I anticipate having to service this thing on day 1? Three years seems like a long time for a shock to be sitting around in a warehouse.

There's one on Amazon too (I assume the same seller), this guy here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M742O9L/

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you positive you want a reaktiv shock? My guess is the reason for it being out of box is that it’s an OEM from a Trek that’s now being sold off as old inventory. Going off of the bikes listed in your signature, I’m guessing this is for your Sherpa? I don’t know how similar that is to the leverage curve of the Trek this was designed for, but just keep in mind that I would assume the behavior of the Reaktiv tune is pretty specific to that Trek and it may behave differently on another linkage design if the leverage curve is different. I don’t know a ton about this shock or the bikes I’ve referenced above, just wanted to point this out in case it’s significant.

All that aside, personally, I would definitely service as there’s the chance some of the seals may be dry as the shock has been stored at who knows what temperatures/climate and likely hasn’t been cycled in ages. At the very least open it up and lube the seals. Just my opinion YMMV.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not a dumb question, I appreciate it! I do in fact want a reaktiv shock, I'm shopping for a Trek Farley EX 9.8. I just got the bike but it's new-to-me and not new and I don't think the original owner serviced the thing (ever).

I'm a sucker for kashima on black and $250 is cheap enough to be in my "eh, screw it just get a new one" threshold. (Gotta look fast to be fast, right?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.