Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a new Nomad and trying to decide between carbon or not. Used to ride a VP-Free and will be doing more aggressive trail riding. Have not ridden a carbon bike before and a little concerned about the strength?

Any opinions appreciated.

Sam

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you can afford it go carbon. Stronger, stiffer, lighter, no brainer. SC says it's second in strength only to the carbon v10. Even the blt c passed tougher strength tests than the bullit. That tells you something. Time will tell if durability is an issue. The whole strength vs durability debate is still live and well, but most of the durability issues were for xc/rd carbon. All these new AM/DH composites need to be viewed through a different lens.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
The primary advantage is weight (or, rather, weight to stiffness/strength ratio). The primary disadvantage is cost and possibly impact or abrasion resistance.

You may want to look at the dollars per gram you'd save, and then evaluate what else you could do with the same money. Prioritize and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@dam has it spot on. Id not thought of it like that. I bought the Ali version anyway. I think personally Id like to give it a few years before I could put cash on a carbon bike. Although it is beautiful, stronger, stiffer and so on, almost seems too good to be true. Time will tell.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
SC has been doing carbon frames for a few years now.....how many threads have we seen so far talking about broken carbon frames?

One would think that is would be plastered all over the internet if frames were failing.

Personally, I have beat the crap out of my Tallboy for the last year and half....riding more like a Heckler than a 4" XC rig.

They are more than strong enough.

The carbon Nomads have been shipping for quite a while.....I don't think I have seen one thread about a broken frame yet.......same with the BLTc and BXCc.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I haven't seen a broken NomadC yet but there have only been 1 reported LTc that I've seen on MTBR vs the multiple broken LT2 Al rear triangles posted here last year. I think someone hit a rock hard enough with their Tallboy to punch a hole in it but I think I remember the guy said it would have wrecked an aluminum frame pretty badly as well.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Well, based on simple cost breakdowns, the Carbon frame saves you ~412 grams and costs you $650 more . . . so do the math and figure out if its worth it to you, or whether or not you'd rather spend that $650 elsewhere and carry a few more grams.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
OO7 said:
Well, based on simple cost breakdowns, the Carbon frame saves you ~412 grams and costs you $650 more . . . so do the math and figure out if its worth it to you, or whether or not you'd rather spend that $650 elsewhere.
That's not very good analysis. Good analysis would include "how much would the aluminum have to weigh to be equal in stiffness". I don't have the answer but the C is so much stiffer, you HAVE to weigh (pun intended) that part of the equation. I guess you don't have to, but it wouldn't make sense not to.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Dollar for dollar, if weight savings is your main motivation, you are better off with AL and putting the extra money you would have spent on wheels. 412g in the frame won't be noticed as much as 300 in the wheels. THere are composite wheelsets rated for AM on the market as light as 1450g! You'll feel that weight lose WAY more than 412 in the frame. Like gticlay mentioned, you need to factor rigidity and ride compliance in, not just weight.

·
Threading freely...
325 Posts
I'm very sensitive to vibrations, and the difference between al vs c is more than weight--it's a more rigid and neutral feel, with no vibrations. Also, in winter, crabon is more pleasant to handle . ;-) Lastly, unlike Al, carbon is not susceptible to metal fatigue. Now that I have a Blur LTC, I will never go back to aluminum.

·
Registered
660 Posts
OO7 said:
Well, based on simple cost breakdowns, the Carbon frame saves you ~412 grams and costs you $650 more . . . so do the math and figure out if its worth it to you, or whether or not you'd rather spend that $650 elsewhere and carry a few more grams.
I picked up my carbon frame here on MTBR from a shop that posted in classifieds for $2125, and the large frame weighed a RCH under 6 lbs. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.