Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i recently broke the chain on bike. it was a 9 speed chain. the drivetrain system that i have is a Shimano Alivio. i did some research, and found the Sram PC-991. The one i want to buy is the SRAM PC-991 Cross Step Chain with PowerLink Gold 9-speed. The only thing that is stopping me is that i do not know if it is compatible with my drivetrain, please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the chain that broke is half a year old. The reason behind the break is user error. it was damp where i ride(Santa Cruz) was raining for a couple of days, and the bike was really muddy, and while riding my local trail, i began to shift uphill, placing pressure on the chain, and it snapped completely off.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If the chain has limited miles(<300) buy a chain brake tool, give you tube a visit and you can put it back together yourself.

All 9 speed chains should be compatible. KMC and Sram will both work. Just buy the cheapest one you can find if the current one is not good any more.

Lots of small bike multi tools have a chain brake tool in them.

This is good to learn anyway if you run into problems while riding.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Buy a new chain. I've fixed chains for my road bike, but I won't any more on a mountain bike.

If you make a few bad shifts you could have move than one weak spot. I fixed a link on a mountain bike chain recently and it broke it somewhere else took the rear derailleur (XT) with it. It was about 6 months old. I just don't mess with trying to band-aid a disposable item in such a harsh environment.

John

·
Registered
14,884 Posts
I'm lucky if I get one trail ride in a week these days and a year and a half on one chain would be stretching it (har har!) for me. Unless that bike spends the majority of it's time growing cobwebs I wouldn't even bother measuring it, just put a new 9 speed chain like you had planned. There is a reason that some people tend to break a lot of chains.

edit- actually measuring it is still a good idea, if it is really worn then you shouldn't be surprised if the new chain skips on the old cassette.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The 991 is a good chain and should work with your drivetrain.

Recommend you replace the chain & cassette annually if you ride a lot. Replace the chain annually and the cassette every 2 years if ride often, but not "a lot."

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I guess I should have asked how many miles are on the chain. Also make sure you didn't bend anything on the cassette while shifting under power.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
The number of miles on a chain is not an absolute measure of wear(stretch). The cleanliness of a chain, or lack there of, will significantly reduce the time needed between switching out the chain.

Cobretti is right. Get a chain wear gauge. This is the best way to make the determination of the state of your chain. It will also prolong the cassette and chain rings by keeping everything within tolerance. Once the chain to too far gone, extensive damage can be done to subsequent components and your shifting will never work the way it did when new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys. i am ordering the 991 chain right now. Can't wait to hit the trail saturday on it. Again, thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just remember that you still need a chain break tool to shorten the new chain.

Forecast is for rain, rain and more rain in SC -- I hope you are right and that it is ridable out there by Saturday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts