Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 157lbs and 5'8". I like to ride all mountain. I just sold all my toys so I can buy a new bike. I was riding a Sugar 3 (that is still for sale by the way) and now it is time to upgrade. After selling all my toys, I now have $4200 to spend. I need a killer bike. What should I get? What should I put on it as well?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Man, that's a chunk of dough you got to spend and you could get a bit crazy. It puts a lot of choices in your radar. Tough problem to have :D A Lot depends on your definition of all mountain. It might be more helpful to specify the type of riding you do. IE how much uphill, tight single track, fast downhill, jumps/drops and size your able or willing to do. One bike that is getting a lot of good reviews and is under your budget by a little is the Kona CoilAir. A Kona Dawg Supreme is an excellent choice, The Giant's with the Maestro suspension are getting great reviews. The Canondales with the Lefty fork is well reviewed as well as the Specialized Stumpjumper series. Then there are all the boutique brands like Turner, Ventana, Yeti, etc. Lot's of good choices but they all have strengths that suit a particular style of riding. Again, I think describing the riding style you like and terrain you have access to will help with the suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riding...

I would have to say I ride mostly single track and XC. I am not a big jumper but I do like a plush ride for those technical downhills. I do want a bike that is light enough to do some climbing and yet tough enough for a rocky technical ride. I was checking out the Ellsworth Epiphany...What are your thoughts?

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Man for that type of money, definitely a dream bike. You can choose any components you want. Good luck on choosing a frame, there are a lot of nice frames and a lot of opinions. With that type of money, I would look at the Santa Cruz Nomad or a Turner 6 pack. Tricked out and customized to your body type.

·
1,247 Posts
i got a Intense 6.6 with the z1 light and hadleys and dt fr6.1d, and some other goodies. You can build up a similar bike and then a lot more with ur budget..
how about a Knolly Delirium? Give Esquire (Brian) at boutique bikes a holler. Very nice guys over there to work with.

ps.. if you go the 6.6 route.. don't get the red. i want to be special ;)

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
mc4628 said:
I would have to say I ride mostly single track and XC. I am not a big jumper but I do like a plush ride for those technical downhills. I do want a bike that is light enough to do some climbing and yet tough enough for a rocky technical ride. I was checking out the Ellsworth Epiphany...What are your thoughts?
The Epiphany is a HOT bike. Check out some of then new ones popping up on the Ellsworth board. The biggest detractor, though is the high cost. If you do go this route, see if the shop can give you some in-store credit towards components. I see that Competative Cyclist is doing that with Turner frames (also a great choice: the 5-Spot).

A Ventana X-5 gives you a lot of versatility in the sense that you can swap rockers for 4-5-6" of travel. Lots of great reviews of this bike out there. Also, many, many folks are really liking their Yeti 575s. On your budget, you could spec a very nice 575.

Not to be left out, look at Titus. They make solid bikes with a good suspension design. The Motolite seems like it would fit your style.

I've always liked the Iron Horse MkIII bikes. The DW-Link sounds very promising and it seems to be more and more popular amongst other manufacturers which gives it some legitimacy.

I know it's not "popular" but Mongoose seems to have hit a home run with the Teocali line of bikes. Maverick makes some great bikes too, including the ML 7.5 and ML 8.

You'll have more buying power if you get complete bikes than if you build it yourself since manufacturers can get parts for cheaper than you can. But you may be able to deal with some local shops. Companies like Santa Cruz, Titus and Yeti have "build kits" that you can spec on a bike so you know how much it will be and what parts you'll be getting. You've got to get out and ride some of these bikes if you can. Both Ellsworth and Turner have had demo days in Cali recently. If you can wait, festivals in the spring, like at Fruita have a number of companies offering demos like Titus, Intense, Kona and Specialized.

It's both exciting and frustrating to be in the market for a new bike these days! Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,

Chad, Thanks for the great input. I will check them all out. You are right, it is tough to figure out what bike you want. A local shop said he could get me an Ellsworth Epiphany with XT grade everything for 3850. Do you think that is a good deal?

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
The paint job on the Epiphany is sweet!!! No wonder why that caught your eye. I still would take chad's suggestion and try out as many similar travel bikes. I love my 575 Yeti and you can make it even a better ride with components you choose yourself. More rides on different bike should solidify your choice in the Epiphany if you feel it's that good.

Dulyebr, I like the new logos on the 06 Titus'. Definitely, a bike worth looking at too.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
mc4628 said:
Chad, Thanks for the great input. I will check them all out. You are right, it is tough to figure out what bike you want. A local shop said he could get me an Ellsworth Epiphany with XT grade everything for 3850. Do you think that is a good deal?
Considering the bike frame is $2400, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. What other components are they speccing? Will it come with an RP3 or Float (or other?). You might post this question on the Ellsworth board and see how much some of them dropped on their Epiphanys.

Also, you gotta decide it you like the dual control shifting. The XT cranks and other drivetrain components are well worth it, though, as well as disc brakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
575 or epiphany

I have a kona dawg primo and I have a few gripes that would are solved with the 575. The BB height (I hit the pedals a lot with the dawg). The travel (I have a 4" model and it is not enough travel for an all mountain rig). Balance (the 575 is a well balanced bike that does not endo down steep switch-backs and does not lift the front going up steep trails while seated).I read a lot and narrowed it down to the 575. I want to check out the epiphany also, but I want more reviews on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.