Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have made my decision to get into mountain biking this summer...great!

but after a number of tire-kickers and dead-ends I found a couple of bikes to choose from, however I don't know which way to go...please help...oh yeah, it has to be by tomorrow..

about me: 5' 10ish 180, average build/athleticism My immediate need will to do some single-track trails with my brother, but I can see myself getting into some light downhill in the future.

Option 1:
Kona Shred 15.5 26er - ($290) -HT a little small, but I like the aggressive build and xtc/downhill versatility. will need new tires

option 2
Kona mahuna 29er (300) -HT overall a great purchase if it was the only option, however something turns me off about the 29er, I feel like it is a little too big to really move the bike around

option 3 (interesting!!)
Ironhorse 7point 26er (600) - FS I REALLY like this bike but it is REALLY heavy(42 pounds)..especially for my immediate need of getting used to the trails....but it has premium components for a great price (bought for 3k 5 years ago and owned by a bike mechanic)

option 4
Raleigh tukol 2.0 27.5 (700) - HT This bike is the only new bike I am considering, it as really good components for a new bike and is pretty lightweight..

so that is the gist of the 4 options, I really don't know what to do and will be losing sleep over it! please help..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Option 1: 15.5 frame? - No it will not work for a 5'10" person - you should be looking at large in the 18 to 20" frame range

Option 3: 42 pounds? - Not for a first bike, not for your only bike.

That leaves Option 2 or 4. They spec is a toss up in my opinion; There I cut it in half for you.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree with the above...the 2 logical choices are the 29er or the Raleigh Tokul...this is assuming they're both the right size for you, of course. If you're on the fence about the 29er, buying it just because it's a good deal might not make you happy in the long run. Test ride it if possible and if you don't like the feel then pass on it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Option 1: 15.5 frame? - No it will not work for a 5'10" person - you should be looking at large in the 18 to 20" frame range

Option 3: 42 pounds? - Not for a first bike, not for your only bike.

That leaves Option 2 or 4. They spec is a toss up in my opinion; There I cut it in half for you.
Plus 1. Don't do full suspension in that price range. You can buy a new xct equipped 26" Costco for $350. If something goes wrong, can't beat that return policy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.