Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
If you're going more than 50% of the weekends the lifts are open it would be a good idea. Used ones can be a good deal if you look carefully. WP sells off their rentals this time of year for great prices. Trestle Bike Park - 2010 Kona Bike Sales

Owning your own means you can tune it how you want.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Renting a DH bike is about $100-$150 per day. Do the math. Only you can estimate your bike budget and number of riding days.

Advantages:

- Your bike is available - no reservation necessary.
- You know your bike - don't have to get used to another sled every weekend.
- You can take your bike to Moab, GJ, Bootleg etc for some offseason shuttle fun.

Disadvantages:

- Significant upfront investment.
- Regular TLC, and probably repairs.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
+1 for what KK said.
But, tinkering on bikes is also my hobby. So I buy a bike and get the endorphin on the riding and the nerdgasm on the wrenching. And, I like the fact that I know every bolt on the bike and don't have to trust someone else's space case.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
It's better to buy--that way you can shuttle Apex when the lifts are closed!

Personally, I don't see the NEED for a full-on DH bike in Colorado unless you plan to race it, or have enough $$ to buy one without questioning it. I ride a freeride bike with DH wheels/tires that I can (slowly) climb on when I want to. In today's market, there are also great slopestyle bikes that pretty much have a DH geometry, but are usually built with a single crown 180mm fork, are a little lighter, and you can put front derailluers on them (or 1x10/Hammerschmidt) to help you climb.

Could I ride faster on a true DH bike? Definitely, but I ride about as fast as I want to with plenty of margin of error and clean everything at all the resorts. I just can't justify owning a $6+ bike that I would only get to ride 15-20 times a year--especially when so many of the best local "shuttles" involve healthy climbs.

Just my $.02...

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
It's better to buy--that way you can shuttle Apex when the lifts are closed!

Personally, I don't see the NEED for a full-on DH bike in Colorado unless you plan to race it, or have enough $$ to buy one without questioning it. I ride a freeride bike with DH wheels/tires that I can (slowly) climb on when I want to. In today's market, there are also great slopestyle bikes that pretty much have a DH geometry, but are usually built with a single crown 180mm fork, are a little lighter, and you can put front derailluers on them (or 1x10/Hammerschmidt) to help you climb.

Could I ride faster on a true DH bike? Definitely, but I ride about as fast as I want to with plenty of margin of error and clean everything at all the resorts. I just can't justify owning a $6+ bike that I would only get to ride 15-20 times a year--especially when so many of the best local "shuttles" involve healthy climbs.

Just my $.02...
I'd like to know where you're finding ~$6 DH bikes? I need some chainring spacers and they're at least $6 for a set of 4, 2.2mm ones...and I'll ebay the rest of the bike :D

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I'd like to know where you're finding ~$6 DH bikes? I need some chainring spacers and they're at least $6 for a set of 4, 2.2mm ones...and I'll ebay the rest of the bike :D
LOL! Actually, I bought some great ones for about $6 a couple of years ago at Kb Toys. I got a Turner DHR with a Boxxer, a Santa Cruz Super8 with a Boxxer and a Foes with a Judy (not sure why they went single crown on the Foes). I ride them around my desk and do sick drops off my computer when MTBR is boring...

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Renting a DH bike is about $100-$150 per day. Do the math. Only you can estimate your bike budget and number of riding days.

Advantages:

- Your bike is available - no reservation necessary.
- You know your bike - don't have to get used to another sled every weekend.
- You can take your bike to Moab, GJ, Bootleg etc for some offseason shuttle fun.

Disadvantages:

- Significant upfront investment.
- Regular TLC, and probably repairs.
The other thing I would ad is.. if you are riding your trail bike at resorts a bunch, they just beat up quickly and you start spending a bunch of money on that too.. Thats what made me buy one, but now I spend more time on DH bike than a trail bike..

Like others have said, you don't necessarily need a full blown DH rig either.. I prefer a 7 inch travel single crown bike myself, but I don't race and prefer the jumpier/freeride side of things...

·
Registered
580 Posts
You can get a GREAT used bike for abt $1800 especially w/ the current economic conditions.. lots of deals on Demo 8s, etc. Assuming you've already demoed a bunch of bikes, you'll have to decide on resort/DH specific (like a V10, Glory, etc), or a more versatile freeride bike like an SX Trail, Scratch, etc.

·
Registered
443 Posts
buying a dh bike will never be cost effective. The rate at which parts alone get destroyed in a single season will easily offset the $100 per time rental price. With that said owning your own bike is really the only option. It setup for you, you get to love and baby it, you can ride it off season, and most importantly you can park it in your living room and stare at it instead of watching tv. All of the above make ownership priceless. I know a ton of guys who dh and i have never one time heard of someone upset about making the jump to purchase a dh rig, only upgradeitis...beware this is a huge problem. I'm not even an upgrade person, my truck has 200k miles my couches are 15 years old, but i cant seem to go a week without buying some damn thing for my demo 8. Pull the trigger if you can, if you buy used worse case you sell it for a minor loss next year when you buy new :)

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
buying a dh bike will never be cost effective. The rate at which parts alone get destroyed in a single season will easily offset the $100 per time rental price. With that said owning your own bike is really the only option. It setup for you, you get to love and baby it, you can ride it off season, and most importantly you can park it in your living room and stare at it instead of watching tv. All of the above make ownership priceless. I know a ton of guys who dh and i have never one time heard of someone upset about making the jump to purchase a dh rig, only upgradeitis...beware this is a huge problem. I'm not even an upgrade person, my truck has 200k miles my couches are 15 years old, but i cant seem to go a week without buying some damn thing for my demo 8. Pull the trigger if you can, if you buy used worse case you sell it for a minor loss next year when you buy new :)
Well Said!!

but on the other hand, I have been riding a stock Demo 7 for 3 years and just replace what I have to.. then again, I am poor..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got a Scott Voltage FR10 for sale. Raw alum frame, boxxer race fork, fox dhx rc2 rear shock. This bike is awesome. Just bought a Glory so it's gotta go. I just tore it down and lubed up all the pivots etc. 2000.00 for you!!! Like to jump? This bike will make you feel like a rock star!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.