Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
unrooted
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to do a lot of DH next summer; 2 week trip to whistler planned, as well as a season pass to Mammoth.

About me:

I have done quite a bit of riding at Mammoth and a day at Whistler in the past. Most of my riding at Mammoth has been on a 135 rear/160mm Banshee Prime, but one day on a DH bike, a base level Trek Session Rental. My one day at Whistler was on a DH rental, a mid speced Scott Gambler.

I am 6'5" tall, love riding the techy stuff but really like jumps and drops.

I keep my bikes for relatively long periods of time, and I'm a bit picky about certain components, my Banshee is 5.5 years old> I tend to prefer shimano components, but some of the DH specific Sram components would likely be fine, which it appears most built up DH bikes come with.

I'm curious to know what you guys/gals think I would be better off with: buying a brand new (hopefully end of year discounted) new bike, or try to build a bike with the components I would want (zee brakes, saint der & shifter, fox fork and shock. . . maybe some used parts as well) hopefully hitting between $3k to $4k.

Thanks, let me know if you need more info, FYI I have zero interest in racing. . .

·
always licking the glass
3,966 Posts
If you’re looking at between $3-4K, why not look at a demo bike from one of the resorts? This way you can test ride it, and if you like it keep it.

Then any extra money you have you can spend on upgrades.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Generally speaking, building a bike up piece by piece is usually more expensive than buying a complete bike. But, if you're picky about certain things on your bike, then it's a good way to go. Certainly better in the long run than buying a complete bike then spending a bunch on upgrades.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Buy new. Some of the things you “think” are better probably aren’t anymore. Sram has long passed up Shimano in the shifting department as well as chain slap department (which is why you see them on so many DH rigs) with Shimano just lately making a concerted effort at catching back up. I’ll take Descendent carbon cranks over Saints any day and even Sram’s equivalent brakes are considered superior to Shimano’s these dayz by pretty much every reviewer out there because of better modulation with equal or better power (I still use Shimano only because I like the ease of bleeds with mineral oil). I was a huge Shimano fanboy until I bought an ex WC racer’s bike with Sram drivetrain and, well, became “enlightened”.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Buy new. Some of the things you "think" are better probably aren't anymore. Sram has long passed up Shimano in the shifting department as well as chain slap department (which is why you see them on so many DH rigs) with Shimano just lately making a concerted effort at catching back up. I'll take Descendent carbon cranks over Saints any day and even Sram's equivalent brakes are considered superior to Shimano's these dayz by pretty much every reviewer out there because of better modulation with equal or better power (I still use Shimano only because I like the ease of bleeds with mineral oil). I was a huge Shimano fanboy until I bought an ex WC racer's bike with Sram drivetrain and, well, became "enlightened".

Have FUN!

G MAN
have to agree - love my sram shifter and derailer !! way better then Shimano.....and I am still rolling a X9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.