Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have fully turned my Silverado in to a work truck it’s mostly useless for most other things. And having to empty it every time I want to go for a ride is not happening. So I’m getting a second car. I have found 2 vary clean 2008s for the same price 4K and there both blue. First is a 08 Ford Escape xlt v6 awd. The other is an 08 Dodge Caliber xst with the 1.8l and a 5sp manual. I am vary drown to the Dodge because of the manual. I will probably keep the car till the wheels fall off or it won’t pass inspection. So what would be the better mountain bike car?

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I guess if you put a hitch receiver, either would do. If I was planning to travel the Escape would be my choice. One of my Xs had one and I drove it often great little SUV. She worked for McD's and drove it to the ground.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Are those the best options? I’d suggest the dodge. But...

You could probably find an older awd 5-speed Honda CR-V for less, roof rack and trailer hitch compatible

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are those the best options? I'd suggest the dodge. But...

You could probably find an older awd 5-speed Honda CR-V for less, roof rack and trailer hitch compatible
Yes they are my best options. I can't find anything Honda in this area thats not rusted out or really old or doesn't have a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would you have to empty a truck when you want to go for a ride?
2 reasons really. 1 I have a hitch rack but I'm not hot on the idea of 15 to 20k of tools sitting in the bed of my truck at a trail head. And 2 it takes too long to empty the bed before and after a ride. My truck latterly is packed front to back and floor to rail and I have a cover for it to keep everything dry.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You couldn't pay me to own a Dodge Caliber. What a POS.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
...I bought a used cargo van for about the same reason...Ya didn't ask but..think about it.
This. Or a minivan. A friend of mine kept the family minivan and traded in his car for the new family cruiser. He built a "platform" out plywood that starts behind the driver's seat and goes to the back door; it's 1/2 the width adn about 2' off the floor. He sleeps on the platform and his bike(s) are in the other half. Under the platform he keeps stuff like water, clothes, snacks, etc in milk crates.

It's the perfect bike car. And you can get older cargo vans and minivans (except Hondas for pretty cheap).

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want a Ford Transit connect but I can’t get one in my price range. The cheapest you can find them is 8k. I did go down the mini van rabbit hole and looked at a few. The problem is I need to spend more money to get a good one. Early 2000s and late 90s mini vans are crap. Every one I looked at was trashed inside or I’d was a Chrysler and it burned oil.

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
The Caliber is considered one of the poorer quality cars for longevity. If you go for it be prepared to replace the complete suspension including lower ball joints, struts, rear shocks and sway bar links and mounting blocks. And you'd still have a piece of junk.

·
Registered
546 Posts
2 reasons really. 1 I have a hitch rack but I'm not hot on the idea of 15 to 20k of tools sitting in the bed of my truck at a trail head. And 2 it takes too long to empty the bed before and after a ride. My truck latterly is packed front to back and floor to rail and I have a cover for it to keep everything dry.
Maybe a hard, lockable Tonneau cover?

It seems silly to buy a second vehicle just for mountain biking. It doesn't seem too silly though to transfer the vehicle into your business's name and buy yourself a daily driver. If you're afraid to leave your truck at a trailhead, I can't imagine how terrified you are to leave it in a Walmart parking lot.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Really??
Trucks can haul things, plus bikes. I don't take my tools out, my bike goes on a rack.

Way cheaper to buy a rack than a second vehicle.

I think you are being obtuse lol
unserious question: have you ever been to a city? Have you ever heard of cities?

Stuff gets stolen out of vehicles. OP would be an idiot to leave his livelihood in a unattended truck parked at a trailhead (where people know it'll stay unattended for hours). One would have to be REALLY naive to not understand that.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
As a former HVACR contactor...I get it.

I have had too much bad luck with Chrysler vehicles. I just don't trust them anymore. I get it when a 30 year old car is unreliable, but not cool when a 5 year old car FEELS like it's already 30!

I second the Escape. If you aren't shuttling friends, pull the seats out for more room. I drive a little Fiesta and pulled my rear seats out to carry more in the back (plus a rack). I don't know about the Escape, but I swear the Fiesta was designed from the factory for easy maintenance (it is European design). The Chrysler I had last it was recommended to pull the engine to change the timing belt every 60k, the Fiesta belt is a 1 hour job at 150k (haven't tried yet, spark plugs were 20 minutes)!

Which, after looking at how little I would get for my Fiesta on trade in...I'm keeping it much longer term. Just another cheap option. Nobody wants good gas mileage, small cars in America.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I used to live in Indianapolis, and work near Gary. I had **** stolen.
I moved. Problem solved.
Life is too short to live in places you have to worry about 24-7.

Stuff can be stolen when it's parked at your house, hotel, stopped for lunch, picking up stuff at home Depot.
So you were just being obtuse when you pretended to not understand where OP was coming from? Your solution to OP's issue is that buying a second car is too expensive so he should move?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.