Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to mountain biking, havent been on a bike in 15 years..

I am now in the process of shopping for a new bike, I am pretty much tossed on a cannondale Trail 29 7 and a Trail 29 6.

The dealer told me the only real difference is the brakes, one being mechanical and the other hydraulic. He said everything else is comparable.

Its about a $100 difference in price, so I am wondering if I should spring the extra $100 for hydraulics? Been trying to do some research through the searches on this forum and its very conflicting information. Some say stay away from mechanical, some say that cheap hydraulics are garbage... im probably overthinking it at this price point....

Does any one have any direct experience with these 2 brakes? The 6 comes with Promax Deciphers and the the 7 comes with Tektro Novellas..

I dont mind spending a little more now for something that will be good and last for a while. ive been in the position before in other hobbies where i try to save money early on only having to replace a cheap part or something.. Always end up spending more in the long run..

I have a budget of $1000, these bikes both come in a few hundred less, so I do have wiggle room if I need...

Thanks in advance!

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Both are just ok not great brakes. Best mechanical brake is Avid BB series. How much difference in price when you jump to trail 29 5. If choosing between the two I'd say go for the Hydro, better yet ask the shop to meet you halfway.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Between those two, go with the cheaper one. You may find you're not very happy with the brakes. In that case, either replace just the calipers with BB7s, or really commit and go to name-brand hydraulics.

Are you open to a secondhand bike?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wound up picking up the trail 6 this evening.The Dealer hooked me up on the pricing and it basically sealed the deal. I basically got it for the same price as the other bike.

I really wanted to buy from this dealer, he was awesome - extremely helpful, built several bikes for me to try and layer no pressure on me to buy anything. Also he gave me a discount on all accessories as well. Im also a small business owner and try to support the other small businesses in my area whenever possible.

I think I made a good choice..

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I wound up picking up the trail 6 this evening.The Dealer hooked me up on the pricing and it basically sealed the deal. I basically got it for the same price as the other bike.

I really wanted to buy from this dealer, he was awesome - extremely helpful, built several bikes for me to try and layer no pressure on me to buy anything. Also he gave me a discount on all accessories as well. Im also a small business owner and try to support the other small businesses in my area whenever possible.

I think I made a good choice..
Pic or it didn't happen:)

Congrat! it was a good choice. The faster you get that bike dirty the better it is for your biking experience:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice bike :thumbsup: I like the color. Most of the time I buy from my LBS rather than the internet. I feel it's important to support local shops. Keeps our sport alive and flowing. Have fun getting it dirty!

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Nice bike. Not sure of your measurements, but unless you've got somewhat freakish proportions, I would think you're going to want to raise your seat and probably go to a shorter stem. YMMV or course. Have fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts