Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into mountain biking after a ten year break. I want a cross country bike with full suspension that will be fairly good uphill and hold up well. I am 6'5'' and 225lbs.

The Stumpjumper FSR Expert 120 looks good. I am also considering the Trek Fuel Ex and the Kona King Kikapua. Turners are not available to test.

The LBS are small and don't have demo bikes for anything other than parking lot rides. Is the parking lot ride that useful, or should I just make the choice on looks?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Looks are very important!

ADIDAS said:
I am getting back into mountain biking after a ten year break. I want a cross country bike with full suspension that will be fairly good uphill and hold up well. I am 6'5'' and 225lbs.

The Stumpjumper FSR Expert 120 looks good. I am also considering the Trek Fuel Ex and the Kona King Kikapua. Turners are not available to test.

The LBS are small and don't have demo bikes for anything other than parking lot rides. Is the parking lot ride that useful, or should I just make the choice on looks?
If the bike looks good you'll want to go to it and ride it more. (Maybe it's just a male thing!)

There are no bad suspension bikes now with the new platform shocks OEM. So look for a bike that appeals to you. Expert riders will notice subtile advantages of some designs, but the differences are very small now in ride quality with the current evolution of shocks. Motorcycle shocks are now starting to evolve again due to the advances with mountain bike shock technology.

Fit is even more important, so ride a few to get to know the size and top tube length that fits best, then you can mail order if you can't get your favorite looking bike locally for a good price.

- ray

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
If you post in the Turner forum

ADIDAS said:

State where you are, given its accessible, maybe someone would let you try theres out..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and got the Specialized mostly based on looks and the plush suspension. I also like the idea of a lifetime frame warranty. I figure that the full suspension bikes have been around long enough that most of the popular models are pretty good.

The suspension seems a little squishy, but no real loss of efficiency. I will see if I regret it after a couple of long rides.

·
Registered
129 Posts
derby said:
If the bike looks good you'll want to go to it and ride it more. (Maybe it's just a male thing!)

- ray
A "male" thing?? You're kidding of course. Call me shallow but I think looks are VERY important. I don't like bright colors and right now I'm having trouble with my terrrribly intense *BLUE* new Specialized FSR XC. I really wanted something more neutral, like my old GF Mamba which I bonded with so perfectly. I absolutely will not tolerate bright colors and especially flames painted on the frame..What's with that anyway? I'd be embarrassed..

·
Registered
300 Posts
It has nothing to do with gender

MTDirtGirl said:
A "male" thing?? You're kidding of course. Call me shallow but I think looks are VERY important. I don't like bright colors and right now I'm having trouble with my terrrribly intense *BLUE* new Specialized FSR XC. I really wanted something more neutral, like my old GF Mamba which I bonded with so perfectly. I absolutely will not tolerate bright colors and especially flames painted on the frame..What's with that anyway? I'd be embarrassed..
Some people are just more visually oriented than others. I certainly won't pick a bike on looks alone but there's no way I'd buy another bike I considered ugly. I've owned to bike in my life I thought were fugly and I didn't keep either for very long.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Looks

At 6'5" and 225# I would be careful with interupted seat tube designs no matter how good they look, all three of the main frames I've broken were of that type and from 3 different manufacturers and I'm only 200#. None of them were Specialized but it makes me think that the full seat tube bikes are inherently stronger. All the big companies have good designs some however are more oriented towards peddling and some are better at bump eating. Parking lot demo's are good for fitting but don't give you a full impression.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Big guys need big bikes. Your choice is a bit on the lightweight side for you, but will probably be fine if you don't hammer it too hard. I like Specialized bikes though - Top quality at a sensible price. However, something like a Kona Dawg may have been more robust. Perhaps even the Spec Enduro? Both these would feel a little heavier on the trail, but would take more of a beating.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
list of bikes for you

ADIDAS said:

Hi ADIDAS, welcome back to MTB world. For your weight category, The bike models you mentioned earlier will not be suitable for you. The bike suitable for you would be endurance category such as Specialized Enduro series. You can choose any of them from the website. The new Enduro series has been beef up by Specialized and you won't be disappointed. The second model would be Rocky Mountain ETSX series (ETSX 70). Do not pick Kona. The reason I don't want you to pick Kona because Kona rear suspension isn't true full suspension bike. the bottom bracket pivot doesn't move. It has only the shock pivot arm to absorb bumps. Thus the bike loose alot of momentum energy from the pedaling effort. I check Kona model very carefully. Kona tried to imitate Giant NRS series. Avoid cheap brand name like Norco, Raleigh, Oynx, Mongoose. The other Brands such as Santa Cruz, Elleworth, Turner and Titus are very expensive because it is sold as custom frame. It depends on your budget. GT brand for this year is not really good at all. The same can be said of Yeti bike. Its suspension doesn't work too well. I can't explain why but I test it and detect engineering defect. I am not expert rider but a good tester.

In general, you will benefit from buying whole bike such as specialized (Enduro series), Rocky mountain (ETSX ), Trek ( Fuel series), Gary Fisher, KHS and Marin. I mentioned the bikes in terms of quality in alphbetical order.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Nrs!!

ADIDAS said:

I'd check out the Giant NRS series.
They have no bob and are just great bikes. :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Picard said:
The same can be said of Yeti bike. Its suspension doesn't work too well. I can't explain why but I test it and detect engineering defect. I am not expert rider but a good tester..
you're kidding, right?

antonio
proud 575 owner

·
Hugged a Yeti Today?
74 Posts
Ok tell me you were drunk when you wrote this

Picard said:
Hi ADIDAS, welcome back to MTB world. For your weight category, The bike models you mentioned earlier will not be suitable for you. The bike suitable for you would be endurance category such as Specialized Enduro series. You can choose any of them from the website. The new Enduro series has been beef up by Specialized and you won't be disappointed. The second model would be Rocky Mountain ETSX series (ETSX 70). Do not pick Kona. The reason I don't want you to pick Kona because Kona rear suspension isn't true full suspension bike. the bottom bracket pivot doesn't move. It has only the shock pivot arm to absorb bumps. Thus the bike loose alot of momentum energy from the pedaling effort. I check Kona model very carefully. Kona tried to imitate Giant NRS series. Avoid cheap brand name like Norco, Raleigh, Oynx, Mongoose. The other Brands such as Santa Cruz, Elleworth, Turner and Titus are very expensive because it is sold as custom frame. It depends on your budget. GT brand for this year is not really good at all. The same can be said of Yeti bike. Its suspension doesn't work too well. I can't explain why but I test it and detect engineering defect. I am not expert rider but a good tester.

In general, you will benefit from buying whole bike such as specialized (Enduro series), Rocky mountain (ETSX ), Trek ( Fuel series), Gary Fisher, KHS and Marin. I mentioned the bikes in terms of quality in alphbetical order.
This post is full of horrible information. Konas are great full-suspension bikes. They have been making FS alot longer than most companies. The bikes are not true Horst-link, but they are pretty good riding bikes. Norco is definately not in the cheap bike realm.

And last the Yeti comment.....are you high or something? Obviously you havent ridden one. I dont think there are too many Yeti owners unhappy with their bikes this year. If you have the money to get a Yeti you are not going to be disappointed at all. Go check out the Yeti board and then see what you think about the Yeti comment.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
bikes manufacturer specialized in each category.

Norco is not cheap but its design leaves much to be desired. Buyer must pay the top end Norco to get good quality frame. A majority of Norco bikes are made for the non-mtb riders out there. Theirs bikes serve as good recreational bikes but can't make survive the rugged single track trail. As for Kona, if there is no pivot joints at the bottom end of bike then it doesn't really qualify as FS. It imitates FS. I am refering to XC bikes not downhiller or stunt bikes. I check the kona before I chose the specialized stumpjumper. For any bikes that is a FS, there has to be 2 pivot points on the bike, if only one moves then where does the reamining shock vibration go through the rest of bike. I know people tend to associate brand name as hight quality product. For instance, Mercedes is a brand name but their cars have more mechanical problems than Honda. Alot of Mercedes owners are mad as hell because they paid too much for it. Mercedes recently recall over 1 million cars to fix their problems and eliminate many features on new models but problems persist. Car manufacturers used to install leaf spring on cars & trucks as shock absorbers. Those leaf springs were not true suspension for a vehicle. Now every manutacturer used independent wishbone, spring suspension.

There are lots of brand name bikes in the market but they don't necessarily mean they are all great. Each manufacturer does very well in specific design whether it is XC or downhiller. Elleworth, for example, is famous for its XC models. Giant makes good XC NRS model. NRS works like a hardtail, suspension is activated when there is a bump. I don't even want to mention Raileigh. Why don't people get excited with Raleigh bikes. Raleigh tries to make XC bikes too. It is sad for me to say that Raleigh engineering hasn't reach the magic goal of true XC design. Yeti is good bikes but it doesn't have wide range of XC models for buyers to choose. Santa Cruz also makes very good XC bikes and well proven design. Consequently many riders buy their bikes in Canada. If a buyer wants to buy a bike base on looks when there is few demo model available in store, It is best for the buyer to buy from true well test models that had been used by pro riders in the past decade and feedbacks from regular riders.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Picard said:
Norco is not cheap but its design leaves much to be desired. Buyer must pay the top end Norco to get good quality frame. A majority of Norco bikes are made for the non-mtb riders out there. Theirs bikes serve as good recreational bikes but can't make survive the rugged single track trail. As for Kona, if there is no pivot joints at the bottom end of bike then it doesn't really qualify as FS. It imitates FS. I am refering to XC bikes not downhiller or stunt bikes. I check the kona before I chose the specialized stumpjumper. For any bikes that is a FS, there has to be 2 pivot points on the bike, if only one moves then where does the reamining shock vibration go through the rest of bike. I know people tend to associate brand name as hight quality product. For instance, Mercedes is a brand name but their cars have more mechanical problems than Honda. Alot of Mercedes owners are mad as hell because they paid too much for it. Mercedes recently recall over 1 million cars to fix their problems and eliminate many features on new models but problems persist. Car manufacturers used to install leaf spring on cars & trucks as shock absorbers. Those leaf springs were not true suspension for a vehicle. Now every manutacturer used independent wishbone, spring suspension.

There are lots of brand name bikes in the market but they don't necessarily mean they are all great. Each manufacturer does very well in specific design whether it is XC or downhiller. Elleworth, for example, is famous for its XC models. Giant makes good XC NRS model. NRS works like a hardtail, suspension is activated when there is a bump. I don't even want to mention Raileigh. Why don't people get excited with Raleigh bikes. Raleigh tries to make XC bikes too. It is sad for me to say that Raleigh engineering hasn't reach the magic goal of true XC design. Yeti is good bikes but it doesn't have wide range of XC models for buyers to choose. Santa Cruz also makes very good XC bikes and well proven design. Consequently many riders buy their bikes in Canada. If a buyer wants to buy a bike base on looks when there is few demo model available in store, It is best for the buyer to buy from true well test models that had been used by pro riders in the past decade and feedbacks from regular riders.
I love the absolute bullsh!t you've been slinging this entire thread.

·
Hugged a Yeti Today?
74 Posts
It keeps getting worse

Picard said:

Norco bikes made for non-mtb riders huh. Interesting these two Norco bikes look like they can take way more abuse than most mtb riders can dish out. Only thing left to be desired is maybe a little less weight. But then if you are good enough to be using this type of bike weight doesnt really matter. And the Norco line up contains a lot more bikes like this.

As for the Konas, wrong again Picard. As you can see on this frame there is more than one pivot. One at the bottom bracket, one on the seatstay near the dropouts, two on the yolk, one on each end, and one in the middle of the yolk. Slightly more than one pivot. Its called a walking beam suspension. Been used by lots of companies for a long time very successfully. And this is their XC bike. And how can you say single pivots arent FS. Santa Cruz built its company around high quality single pivot FS bikes. Some of the strongest, simplest frames out there are single pivot.

Now to the Yetis. Yeti bikes have traditionally been built for one thing, racing. So what if they dont have a huge line-up of different models. If you want a great riding bike that goes fast, they have what you need. Just recently they introduced a trail riding frame the 575 that ventured away from the racing only philosophy and it has been incredibly successful. A light weight frame that gets nearly 6 inches of travel and pedals and handles great. That is a bike with not much left to be desired.

You keep tauting the NRS. Well the NRS is kinda outdated. It rides like a hard tail sometimes because the idea behind NRS is too put so much pressure in the shock that you have no initial sag and therefore no movement with just the riders weight. Not really a good thing in my opinion. Yeah it does pedal ok, but so do hardtails. NRS suspension is not very good compared to some of the other stuff out now.

If you dont know what you are talking about, then shut up. Pretty much everything you have said so far has been talking out of your a$$.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
no foul language; be civilized

Hey, there is no need for foul language. If you can't discuss about bike in civilized manner then you have an attitude problem. I wonder if the riders here are bunch of teenagers or grown men.

The pictures of Norco you post are high end norcos. most of the public buy the common stuff. Do you think everyone on the street buy these highend bikes? I still see very few norco high end bikes on Canadian single tracks. I have seen Elleworth, santa cruz, specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fischer, Kona and lots of Rocky mountains on the trail. The question raise by the original person was to choose bike on looks. I said no because there is no demo bikes in his area. I raises several examples but you guys just can't seem to examine things in objective manner. I raise the case of Mercedes. Why don't you check news report on how bad are those mechanical defects. Appearance isn't everything. Honda has superior engineering and reliablity. If anyone doubts my statement, why don't you ask a mechanical engineer to examine Honda parts. Honda engineering technical skills have surpass the German.

I am not saying santa cruz produce poor quality bike. I was refering one particular model of kona that the bottom end of it doesn't move except the top part whee the shock is position. Santa Cruz fix the problem by designing it with actual 2 moviing parts.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Have a heart, people

ADIDAS said:
I went ahead and got the Specialized mostly based on looks and the plush suspension. I also like the idea of a lifetime frame warranty. I figure that the full suspension bikes have been around long enough that most of the popular models are pretty good.

The suspension seems a little squishy, but no real loss of efficiency. I will see if I regret it after a couple of long rides.
Read his post...He ALREADY BOUGHT a bike. Tell him to ride it and enjoy our great sport. He'll probably have a great time on it.

Telling him that he made a poor decision (in your opinion..true or not) will not help.

Enjoy your new Specialized bike!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Picard said:
Hey, there is no need for foul language. If you can't discuss about bike in civilized manner then you have an attitude problem. I wonder if the riders here are bunch of teenagers or grown men.

The pictures of Norco you post are high end norcos. most of the public buy the common stuff. Do you think everyone on the street buy these highend bikes? I still see very few norco high end bikes on Canadian single tracks. I have seen Elleworth, santa cruz, specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fischer, Kona and lots of Rocky mountains on the trail. The question raise by the original person was to choose bike on looks. I said no because there is no demo bikes in his area. I raises several examples but you guys just can't seem to examine things in objective manner. I raise the case of Mercedes. Why don't you check news report on how bad are those mechanical defects. Appearance isn't everything. Honda has superior engineering and reliablity. If anyone doubts my statement, why don't you ask a mechanical engineer to examine Honda parts. Honda engineering technical skills have surpass the German.

I am not saying santa cruz produce poor quality bike. I was refering one particular model of kona that the bottom end of it doesn't move except the top part whee the shock is position. Santa Cruz fix the problem by designing it with actual 2 moviing parts.
Picard - you're making yourself look like a buffoon in this thread. I've learned 4 things about you so far

1. You're definitely not an engineer
2. You like Honda's
3. You don't like Mercs
4. You've been reading too much marketing hype about Horst links and the like

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far I am happy with the Stumpjumper. They guys I ride with are smaller and in better shape and are riding hardtails. The trails I ride have a lot of hills. 80% of my time is going uphill. I was afraid that going with the heavier all mountain bikes like the Enduro would slow me down on the hills even more.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
ADIDAS said:
So far I am happy with the Stumpjumper. They guys I ride with are smaller and in better shape and are riding hardtails. The trails I ride have a lot of hills. 80% of my time is going uphill. I was afraid that going with the heavier all mountain bikes like the Enduro would slow me down on the hills even more.
Enjoy the Stumpjumper. It's a fine bike.

Everybody has opinions. Just because theirs differs from yours doesn't make your choice wrong.

Have fun and ride!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.