Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just won this bike off ebay, the seller looks pretty reputable with 98 feedbacks, 97 positive and 1 neutral.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280072731166&rd=1&rd=1
What happens when I pay, if for some reason I don't get the item, do I have protection because I used paypal? What kind? Is there double protection if I'm using a credit card to pay as well?

Thanks.

edit: I don't get the seller, he does have good feedback, but he buys some random crap.
http://myworld.ebay.com/squeezeal/
Goes from a Wii, to starwars, and then some plastic toy things? To Ipod nano????

·
Registered
12 Posts
ebay purchase

i wouldn't worry about the stuff the guy (or girl) is buying. you never know what could be going on with their account. they could have the whole family using the same account, thus explaining the toys/electronics/bike transactions. i've bought and sold tons of stuff on ebay. never had a problem. i've bought and sold cars, toys, clothes. just like bill clinton said, "most people are generally good people"

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have a bike shop near your seller be escrow agent

ask them to inspect the bike before you have them send it. It will cost a little extra but the bike will be packed correctly and you will have some idea if the bike is as descibed in Ebay. Be sure to tell them what components and in what condition you expecting the bike. Let them keep the bike in their store to pack and ship. Send them the cashiers check made out to the seller.

You have no recourse to your credit card company because you asked paypal to forward your money - they did. Paypal will only recover your money if the person continues to sell items on ebay with the same name. They will not go after a bad seller if this is his last sale.
The bike shop is sure worth the money.

Good Luck

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Too late

Looks like you got a decent deal. As for his feedback and buying habits, I wouldn't worry. It seems legit.

Bob

·
Banned
462 Posts
I alway ask for more pictures before I pay especially for something as expensive as a full bike. You want to make sure everything is disclosed before you send out your money.

After you recieve the item and find something that wasn't disclosed or really wrong with the bike you can file a dispute with Paypal and if they decide in your favor you can be refunded all of your money minus a $25 processing fee. Other than that fee paypal is pretty safe IMO.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Poser said:
You have no recourse to your credit card company because you asked paypal to forward your money - they did. Paypal will only recover your money if the person continues to sell items on ebay with the same name. They will not go after a bad seller if this is his last sale.
The bike shop is sure worth the money.

Good Luck
Actually paying with your credit card is probably the safest way to buy stuff off ebay. I was able to file a complaint against a bad seller using my credit card company rather than paypal and they credited me the money right away and didn't charge me any processing fee. But your experience will depend on which credit card company you are using, I was using CitiBank.

Most credit card companies have online policies regarding paypal and ebay. You should find out what yours is.

Also, Paypal doesn't "Recover" money from the seller if they find in favor of you. The suspend the bad sellers account and pay you using PayPal funds (I'm pretty sure that's what the $25 processing fee helps pay for). And most sellers can't access their funds right away anyways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have bought and sold numerous things thru ebay, and I was actually saw that auction when it was going. If you have a problem with the bike, the first person to take it up with should be the seller. Don't leave any feedback until you are satisfied with your purchase. Most sellers will try to make things right if somehow something is wrong and it is their fault. Likewise, you need to assume that anything not explicitly stated in the description or in the pictures cannot be used against the seller. I have had very good luck with ebay, and when possible, I buy things close to where I live so I can go inspect them in person, and usually before the auction ends. Sometimes the seller will offer to sell it to you then and there to save them the hassle of shipping.

You can't judge a seller by their past purchases, because people use Ebay to buy just about anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paypal, and use a Credit Card... If you use a Credit Card with Paypal, and there's a problem (again Paypal won't do anything if the person cleans the money out in their account). But the Credit Card Will. This is why Paypal tries to talk people OUT of using a credit card (because they know the Credit Card will do a Chargeback on them... and there's nothing they can do about it on a deadbeat client.

But that's a very good rating... there's always someone who will trash a seller, especially thouse who don't get Ebay. Guy I work with has an Ebay store, he shipps stuff same day and does a really good job (real honest guy). He still has people who place negative ratings, and it's for stupid stuff. IE: he sells something as Used, and the guy writes a negative saying "Item was used"... uh, read the listing.

That's why anyone with 95% or better is usually no chance of a real problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
older guy said:
Paypal says the item is covered up to $2000. That should give you some kind of insurance?
I don't have personal experience, just thought I pointed that out.
It's covered up to $2000, as long as the person still has up to $2000 in their account. That's why it's better to use Paypal with a Credit Card (rather than a direct bank transfer). Then you get BOTH Paypal, and VISA/AMEX/MC protection... which is damn near bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice, I just paid the seller last night with Chasevisa.. can't wait for it to come.. The deal was definately better than any you could get from an online bike store.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, so over the weekend the seller (she) was apparently busy, she said the bike was being packaged in a bike shop and she would pick it up by tuesday, it's thursday now and I haven't gotten any shipment confirmation yet..

when should I start to be worried?

ps.
I found this fetish cycles discipline, the specs look amazing for the price. Wondering if anyone has experience with it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110085713899

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
You got a good deal. I have bought (3) bikes from ebay and they all worked out perfectly. Some sellers are a little less prompt with shipping than others so I wouldn't worry. Start worrying after a week from payment or so. Paypal covers you up to $1000 I believe. I had a seller screw me out of $50 bucks for a WTB seat but paypal investigated the deal and reimbursed me the full amount. The thing about buying bikes from people on ebay as they are bikers themselves most of the time and bikers are good peeps.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
When was your last contact?

taikuodo said:
Hmm, so over the weekend the seller (she) was apparently busy, she said the bike was being packaged in a bike shop and she would pick it up by tuesday, it's thursday now and I haven't gotten any shipment confirmation yet..

ps.
I found this fetish cycles discipline, the specs look amazing for the price. Wondering if anyone has experience with it

OK, the first thing we need to know is when was the last correspondence you sent her? If you haven't sent her anything since last weekend, then you should email and ask if she ever picked the bike up from the LBS and shipped it. (Just because you haven't received a shipment confirmation doesn't mean she hasn't shipped it. It could very well be on the way. ) Give her the weekend to reply to your email asking for the status update. if you haven't heard back by then, send one more saying that she needs to contact you within 24 hours, or you're filing a copmplaint with ebay. if still nothing after 24 hours, file a dispute claim.

My guess is that she's probably following through. Sending a whole bike is a PITA and a logistical nightmare if you don't have it packed before the auction ends. Could be she waited until it sold thinking it wasn't going to be difficult to get it packed up and shipped. I could be dead wrong, and she could be scamming you. I'd still give it a few more days.

Bob

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
taikuodo said:

ps.

I ve not had good luck getting confirmation notices, the best way is to open your paypal notification, click on the # and you should get some kind of shipping info.

I've bought 2 bikes and a frame off MTB classifieds, all were new or nearly new, but I would still have the seller bring the bike to a shop for shipping, then you can call the shop and ask about condition, etc.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whew.. I just got confirmation notice, seller had computer troubles.

I forget the general public isn't computer geeky like me =D
although.. tracking number doesn't work.. mabye it takes a while to update.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
depends on shipping service. USPS will register about 2 days after you receive it that it has been shipped. UPS and FedEx will register once it moves from shipping point usually the next day. They will at least acknowledge the tracking number where as the USPS will not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.