Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time poster and newbie..

My situation is a bit different in that I live in a remote location in Korea. There aren't many bike shops near my town, so my only option is internet shopping - I'm having to go by specs and my own measurements.

I want a hybrid bike, with tyres erring on the thicker (700 x 37-40) size.

I'm 5' 10" with a 31.5" inseam.

The three models I'm looking at (click on the links to see specifics):

2013 Giant Roam 3 - All sizes are available.

2013 Fuji Traverse 1.5 - Only S/M 17" size frame is available - would this be too small for me? It's the cheapest, but my worry about the size is stopping me from pulling the trigger.

2013 Samchuly / Appalanchia 700 HB300D - Yes... you won't have heard of this one. Its a Korean brand and it seems as though it's a copy of the above bikes, except that it has mechanical disc brakes because... well... Korea ;) Obviously, the question of quality is the thing stopping me from going for this, also I'm not sure what the sizing is, but I think it's a 19". Really, the only thing this has over the others is discs.

Thoughts please...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It's a big guess on witch one might be your size,are you long legged or do you have a long torso? If you have shorter legs the Fuji(med) might be ok. The real problem is finding the right top tube length.Why do you want a hybrid? If you are mostly riding pavement ,a commuter bike might be a better choice. Any way to test ride some bikes friends, clubs,or shops, rent?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a big guess on witch one might be your size,are you long legged or do you have a long torso? If you have shorter legs the Fuji(med) might be ok. The real problem is finding the right top tube length.Why do you want a hybrid? If you are mostly riding pavement ,a commuter bike might be a better choice. Any way to test ride some bikes friends, clubs,or shops, rent?
Thanks for the quick reply :)

My reasoning for a hybrid is due to the nature of commute cycling here in Korea. Although I'll be using the bike to get around town, people tend not to cycle on the roads unless they have a death-wish because the Korean taxi drivers are lunatics.

Therefore, I'll be doing a lot of going up and down curbs etc... I previously had a road bike, but was constantly suffering from flats and punctures, despite the addition of supposedly better quality inner tubes.

I figure that slightly wider wheels will be able to withstand more punishment and provide more comfort.

I'd say that I'm proportionally average in terms of legs and torso. I'll try to track down a bike for sizing. It's not the easiest out here for simple things when you are a foreigner sometimes!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If you are not going to ride off road ,a commuter or touring bike would be better.Hybrid's are a compromise ,there don't work well for either.A road bike set up right would do what you want. Go to You tube and watch Road bike party 2 .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts