Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would it take to convert a bike into a single speed? I am thinking of getting one but just trying to compare the costs?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It would be silly to buy a bike with the intention of converting it, unless you really loved a particular bike but wanted it to have only one gear. (I'd never ride one, but imagine a carbon fiber Scott with White Industries eccentric hub,, carbon rigid fork, carbon bars, etc. maybe 17lbs...) Flat Fender is close, but you could use even less -

shorter chainring bolts (use the stock 32 chainring)
rear cog
cassette spacers
(use rear derailleur as a chain tensioner)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Following on what Thor said...what bike specifically did you have in mind? Maybe some of the old hands on these forums could point you towards an SS specific (or frame and parts build) that is similar in performance/price, without the need for converting as soon as you buy...

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to webcyclery.com and they had a Surly frame kit that you basically selected what parts you wanted and then after you were done, the price of the bike.

I admit I am so new to the biking world that I have no idea of what parts to get so my luck I would end up hosing myself not knowing what I was doing. The final price came to like $2,400-ish.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
don't forget that if you buy a bike with the brake levers integrated with the shifters, you either have to do some "modifications" (think hacksaw) or buy seperate brake levers to go SS...

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to go ultra-cheap you might find a bike at a Pawn-shop and convert it using the methods people previously mentioned. Aim for old Treks, Specialized etc.

If you want a new bike you have lots of options. Many companies are builiding affordable single-speeds like Redline, GT, Haro, Cannondale, etc. If money's no object then I'd go for a bike like you ended up with at Webcyclery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts