Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an angleset from Planet Cyclery on June 3rd and it shipped on June 4th. I did not receive it until June 15 because they used the Post Office and USPS was backed up because of Corona which is understandable. My LBS was backed up over a month to get work done. My LBS finally got around to my bike on Monday and told me it wouldn't fit. I did alot of research and really thought I bought the right one. That was my first mistake. Second mistake was buying from Planet Cyclery. I contacted them today and they said since it was over 30 days I can't return it. I told them the back up with my LBS and they still said you are SOL. You would think because of the Corona situation they would make an exception but nope. So bottom line is I would stay away from them and not buy anything from them. It's not like I had the angleset for 6 months or anything. I was 2 weeks past the 30 days. I will be spending my money with other places.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP, did you know about the 30 day return policy when you ordered the part?
=sParty
I didn't but it is on the webpage i just didn't look I guess. The problem is that we are in unprecendented times with corona. You would think a company would make an exception. It's bad enough that they used USPS and it took 11 days to get to me. I take responsibilty for not knowing the policy but I couldn't have the work done for over a month because of a backup at my shop. Bottom line is I will never buy another thing from them and if you value customer service I recommend going else where like Competitive Cyclist or Jenson. Screw Planet Cyclery.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
wow the SOL policy should be extended to cover the shipping times

FFS I will stay away from them for sure...stuff takes forever to arrive nowadays, from anywhere. Took a month to get stupid t-shirt that in the past took 4 days

Reactions: procos

·
TRANCER
2,770 Posts
Planet Cyclery is a good legit company. But I detest and the times we are in. I used to get stuff in 2 days at times and now it's a week to 2 weeks. But they are a great company and I have never had an issue with them.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
wow the SOL policy should be extended to cover the shipping times

FFS I will stay away from them for sure...stuff takes forever to arrive nowadays, from anywhere. Took a month to get stupid t-shirt that in the past took 4 days
Ok but the shipping was USPS and took a total of 7 days, if you factor in the weekend, for shipping. Then the Bike shop sat on installing the headset for a month, then did the work and returned the bike to the OP on Monday which was the 27th of July. From order to figuring it out that the headset didn't fit was close to 2 months. This isn't planet bike related at all. The 7 day shipping wasn't the issue. I mean even Amazon has a window on how long you have to return something. Most companies do and the usual is 30 days.

This is unfortunate for sure but not something the retailer had anything to do with. I mean if they had shipped it in 4 days would it have made a difference to the end result? No. So the only issue here is their terms of sale, which the OP said is on their website. Ignorance of the rules is not the same is bad service.

This is less Planet Bike sucks and more call the whambulance.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planet Cyclery is a good legit company. But I detest and the times we are in. I used to get stuff in 2 days at times and now it's a week to 2 weeks. But they are a great company and I have never had an issue with them.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My experience was not a positive one and I will not purchases from then again. You can happily buy from them in the future. That is your right as a consumer.

·
TRANCER
2,770 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My experience was not a positive one and I will not purchases from then again. You can happily buy from them in the future. That is your right as a consumer.
Can't argue with you there. I have heard of good companies which were constantly talked about everywhere and yet I had bad luck with them. Sometimes that's how it goes unfortunately. Good luck with whoever you pick next. Sometimes it is better to pay a little more for business with a company that you have good experience with than to try a new one just to save $5.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't argue with you there. I have heard of good companies which were constantly talked about everywhere and yet I had bad luck with them. Sometimes that's how it goes unfortunately. Good luck with whoever you pick next. Sometimes it is better to pay a little more for business with a company that you have good experience with than to try a new one just to save $5.
Agreed. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for Covid and my shop being backed up for a month. That is why I thought they might make an exception. I was happy to pay the 10% restocking fee. I know companies have return policies and rules but you would think to keep the business and keep me happy they would have bent them for this situation.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The problem is: they have the policy on their site. This was a 100% customer mess up.

People see the post, not read the whole thread, and may get the impression that somehow the vendor is to blame.

It's not right to throw shade on someone who didn't do anything other than follow their written policy. Much like the cracked SC swingarm post...completely owner's fault. Can't hate on SC for that.

And...people might get the wrong impression when there's legit gripes like the "About done with Yeti" thread where Yeti really needs to step up and just give the man a new frame (or refund).

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is: they have the policy on their site. This was a 100% customer mess up.

People see the post, not read the whole thread, and may get the impression that somehow the vendor is to blame.

It's not right to throw shade on someone who didn't do anything other than follow their written policy. Much like the cracked SC swingarm post...completely owner's fault. Can't hate on SC for that.

And...people might get the wrong impression when there's legit gripes like the "About done with Yeti" thread where Yeti really needs to step up and just give the man a new frame (or refund).
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Have a great day.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
Agreed. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for Covid and my shop being backed up for a month. That is why I thought they might make an exception. I was happy to pay the 10% restocking fee. I know companies have return policies and rules but you would think to keep the business and keep me happy they would have bent them for this situation.
Wait they offered to take it back for a 10% restocking fee? What exactly is the problem then? You get to return the item for a small cost, and get the right one. Amazon just stops return ability, without the restocking fee offer even. I mean you had the part for better than 45 days. Seems like a fair resolution to your issue. Asking them to compensate you for your bike shop being busy is unfair to them as a retailer.

Expecting your LBS to work on parts you bought online is also courageous. A lot of shops don't like to do that. Maybe return the part to Planet Cyclery, pay your penance, then have your shop order the right part for you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wait they offered to take it back for a 10% restocking fee? What exactly is the problem then? You get to return the item for a small cost, and get the right one. Amazon just stops return ability, without the restocking fee offer even. I mean you had the part for better than 45 days. Seems like a fair resolution to your issue. Asking them to compensate you for your bike shop being busy is unfair to them as a retailer.

Expecting your LBS to work on parts you bought online is also courageous. A lot of shops don't like to do that. Maybe return the part to Planet Cyclery, pay your penance, then have your shop order the right part for you.

No you misread it. I would have gladly paid the 10% restocking fee. And I asked my LBS before I bought it if they wanted to source the part. THEY told me to buy the part since Covid had jammed up their supply chain.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
No you misread it. I would have gladly paid the 10% restocking fee. And I asked my LBS before I bought it if they wanted to source the part. THEY told me to buy the part since Covid had jammed up their supply chain.
Oh my bad. Wait your bike shop told you to buy online? That is crazy. Though they should have told you exactly what to buy I think. That way this sort of thing didn't happen. So much bad.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh my bad. Wait your bike shop told you to buy online? That is crazy. Though they should have told you exactly what to buy I think. That way this sort of thing didn't happen. So much bad.
Well I called them before bringing it in. I live in Michigan and our governor had everything shut down forever. So they weren't even open to the public when I called. They were just getting their store in order to open up. It was all bad timing. Whatever I am out $132 so it's not the end of the world but now I have no desire to buy another angleset because I will basically be paying double. So I will just have to ride my hardtail with the 70.5 degree HA that it is when ridden stock.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
Well I called them before bringing it in. I live in Michigan and our governor had everything shut down forever. So they weren't even open to the public when I called. They were just getting their store in order to open up. It was all bad timing. Whatever I am out $132 so it's not the end of the world but now I have no desire to buy another angleset because I will basically be paying double. So I will just have to ride my hardtail with the 70.5 degree HA that it is when ridden stock.
Post it up here in the classified, bet someone would be looking for that. Get some money back maybe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts