Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to get a bike this summer/ fall. Ive had some "decent" full suspsnsion bikes over the years (Santa Cruz Bantam and Marin Hawk Hill). I had to get rid my my bike a little over a year ago. Budget for a new one is $500-$600 (wife thinks I should just go to walmart and get one). Wont be riding like i use to, but still want something decent. Obviously looking at a hardtail

Ive been keeping the Vitus 275 on the top of my list as it seems the best bang for the buck, but am interested in the 2020 giant talon and whatever else might get released.

Ive been keeping an eye out for used bikes the last few months but not much luck.

Ive recently thought about building one. Have never done a complete bike, just parts on bikes... would it be possible to build and OK/ Decent sub $600 bike fairly easy?

27.5 wheels, 100-120mm air fork are the main requirements (which comes on the vitus)

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
to keep a bike build at a low cost, you're going to need to make some major compromises.

I once did a rigid singlespeed build for less than $200. I got a crappy no-name aluminum frame for $20. I got a LOT of donor parts for free. I did a lot of the labor.

You're going to need to get a pile of free or nearly free parts to do a build under $600. I have that much money in the fork for my hardtail, and I bought it for a huge pro deal discount because of my connections to the industry through coaching. Not that you have to spend as much as I did, but even putting half of your budget into a fork would mean the rest of the build would blow the budget unless you got a lot of free parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome back to the sport!

what happened to the hawk hill? looked like you were just riding it last year
we were moving and needed the extra $$$. also not riding as much so wasnt really making sense for me to have a nice bike (nice for me at least). I really liked it tough. Hoping to get back our riding every now and then, but still wont be enough for me to warrant a nice bike. Will have to settle for OK

leaning towards this when it comes back in stock

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-nucleus-275-vr-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod173149

·
Registered
14,918 Posts
When you consider a build to save money look at the geo of the frame you may start with. The Nucleus has slack geo(66.5 head tube angle) with long reach and a short chainstay of 425mm. Many economy hardtail frames could have steeper 70 or so head tube angles, short reach numbers and longer chainstays.
Check what a Talon has too. Giant hasn't been very current yet. Chainstays are 440. Reach is short and cramped for some riders. Fork isn't air.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Assembling a bike from parts is almost always much more expensive than buying an equivalent complete bike. It is not worth a custom selection unless you plan to spend at least 1.5 times as much and have VERY specific preferences. On top of that, you will need to already have speciaty tools and knowledge to do the assembly work, or pay quite a bit more for a bike shop to do it.

If you're new to riding, you'd certainly be better off saving your time and money by buying a complete bike. Your local bike shop will probably cost a little more than online, but a GOOD shop will do a superb job assembling and tuning the new bike for you and support your local riding scene.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Assembling a bike from parts is almost always much more expensive than buying an equivalent complete bike. It is not worth a custom selection unless you plan to spend at least 1.5 times as much and have VERY specific preferences. On top of that, you will need to already have speciaty tools and knowledge to do the assembly work, or pay quite a bit more for a bike shop to do it.

If you're new to riding, you'd certainly be better off saving your time and money by buying a complete bike. Your local bike shop will probably cost a little more than online, but a GOOD shop will do a superb job assembling and tuning the new bike for you and support your local riding scene.
1000x this.

·
turtles make me hot
11,675 Posts
I always build instead of buy because I break store bought stuff. It isn't always cheaper but it can be better and not too expensive with careful shopping. It also helps that I build my own wheels and assemble everything myself.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I always build instead of buy because I break store bought stuff.
Confused- where do you buy these products? I have "built" most of the bikes I have ridden but they always come from a store of some sort. I am not being facetious; I really don't know what you mean by "store bought stuff." Everything on your bike is store-bought unless you are fabricating your own parts.

Considering the global nature of this forum, maybe "store bought" is a colloquial euphemism for "cheap junk"?

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Exactly. I mean a stock store bought bike. I shop mostly Jenson, Ebay, 365 Cycles...

Always shopping deals.
How is the XT derailleur you get from Jenson different from the XT derailleur that came stock on my bike, aside from the fact you probably paid more for it?

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,213 Posts
How is the XT derailleur you get from Jenson different from the XT derailleur that came stock on my bike, aside from the fact you probably paid more for it?
Can't speak for NYrr496, but the last XT (m786) derailleur I bought was ~$30 brand new. I bought the last 4 they had and still have 2 left in the box.

·
turtles make me hot
11,675 Posts
I don't use XT derailleurs. JK...
I happen to like Sram's shifting better. Currently, I've been building bikes using mostly GX Eagle with a Sunrace cassette. I get the whole thing from an Ebay seller for 236. Cassette, shifter, derailleur and chain. Works on a regular Shimano driver so no special hub. This works better than one of those wide range ten sppeed systems that some manufacturers use to cut costs.
I break the crap outta most factory built wheels and I've exploded a few hubs. In the long run, it's cheaper for me to build a bike than to buy a whole bike and change everything.
I also like Jones handlebars. If I want to put them on an existing bike I have to change all the cables and hoses. Not so if I build it up.
Not everybody weighs what I weigh so it's not always necessary to build up a bike from scratch.
Another example... I've been waiting a couple of years for a 29+ Boost Rockshox Pike. Just too much damn money. A few weeks ago I was about to bite the bullet and get one when my friend at the bike shop saw that Yaris were on super sale. I got it for about half the price of the Pike.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
Confused- where do you buy these products? I have "built" most of the bikes I have ridden but they always come from a store of some sort. I am not being facetious; I really don't know what you mean by "store bought stuff." Everything on your bike is store-bought unless you are fabricating your own parts.

Considering the global nature of this forum, maybe "store bought" is a colloquial euphemism for "cheap junk"?
some people have problems with the low end OEM bits you find on the vast majority of store-bought "complete" bikes. Looks like NYrr is one of them. Working in shops, I lost track of how many large riders had these sorts of problems, ESPECIALLY with OEM wheels (which are often the LAST part on any given manufacturer's bikes to get substantive upgrades, and even then, those upgrades aren't always clyde-appropriate).

It's kindof a problem when you've got a beginner who's large with a fairly low budget who wants to get a basic mtb just for pavement/greenway riding to build fitness and lose weight. So many of the bikes that are otherwise good for this kind of use come equipped with such junk wheels that the rider breaks the rear axle every time they ride off a curb. Or the cheap, narrow rims are like cooked spaghetti and they're in the shop every month for wheel trues. Sure, this is on the extreme end, but I've witnessed it. I also know people who are hard on stuff, so they're really picky about what they trust.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Where did anyone here (other than you) say there was? Read his last post...it's not a same part issue, anyway.
A few people were under the same impression/confusion.
Posts 10 and 11 to be specific, since it seems you missed them first time around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.