Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been perusing the forums for a little while now and have learned a tremendous amount from you all. So here goes my first post! I have three options for my next purchase and need some counsel. First, I am an intermediate rider standing 5' 9", weighing 185 to 195lbs. and do mainly cross country riding. I was focussing on a lighter all around bike that will perform well in most conditions. I highly doubt I will ever be doing 6' drop off's but will tackle an occasional downhill. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

New 06' Specialized Stumpjumper FSR "Expert"
Suspension & Upgrades: Fox Float talas RL fork adjustible from 80mm to 130mm w/ lock out, Fox Triad 120mm rear shock w/ 3 position switch for Full travel, pro pedal and lock out, Shimano XTR Cassette, XTR Front Derailluer, XTR Rear Hub
$2,650.00 out the door.

Used 05' Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 120 "Expert" (very clean) riden 5 times on on the trail.
Suspension & Upgrades: Mavic cross max SL tubeless disc wheel set, Fox Float talas RL fork adjustible from 80mm to 130mm, Fox 120mm septune rear shock with adjustible 7clicks propedal, Avid Jucy seven hydraulic disk brakes with 6" wave rotors, Shimano XT trigger shifters, 9-speed Shimano XT hollow tech 2 crank set, XTR rear derailleur, rapid rise Shimano XTR cassette 11-34 9-speed, Tomson 90 stem, Monkey light carbon handlebar, Tomson seat post.
$2,150.00 shipped and then re assembled by local bike shop.

Used 03' Giant NRS 1 (very clean)
Suspension & Upgrades: Comes with Shimano XT components, RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS cranks, Hayes 6" Hydraulic Disc Brakes, RockShox Sid XC w/ rebound adjust, 3.75" rear travel, Marzocchi Bomber 5" travel w/ lock-up, carbon fiber handle bar.
$750.00 from a friend.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

·
Registered
90 Posts
talk to your shop about getting a new 05 specialized. You might be able to get a killer deal on a new bike.
Since it's we're almost half way done with the year asking a dealer to get an 05 bike from Specialized might prove to be difficult. I've took out the 06 FSR Stumpjumper Expert a few weeks back and I must admit it rides pretty well. Specialized's suspension felt great! The thing I wasn't too sure about was the adjustable fork because I kept on winding it down for climbs and then forgetting to extend it again. I could hardly tell any difference with the ProPedal settings. IMO the Stumpjumper Expert gives GREAT performance for the value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I road the 06" stumpjumper around the parking lot and tested out the suspension as best as possible being that it was on flat pavement and the bike seemed really smooth. Finding an 05' new in a medium size frame is know easy task...Specialized bikes usually don't last too long in the racks. I will try out my friends bike tomorrow and see if the Giant is close enough in ride and performance. If going Giant and not having the exact same capability on the trail means saving $1,800 over the 06' Stumpy or even $1,400 over the used 05'...well think I can live with that. Anyone with thoughts on the Comparison/value or personal experience with any of these model is very welcome.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.