Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been perusing the forums for a little while now and have learned a tremendous amount from you all. So here goes my first post! I have three options for my next purchase and need some counsel. First, I am an intermediate rider standing 5' 9", weighing 185 to 195lbs. and do mainly cross country riding. I was focussing on a lighter all around bike that will perform well in most conditions. I highly doubt I will ever be doing 6' drop off's but will tackle an occasional downhill. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

New 06' Specialized Stumpjumper FSR "Expert"
Suspension & Upgrades: Fox Float talas RL fork adjustible from 80mm to 130mm w/ lock out, Fox Triad 120mm rear shock w/ 3 position switch for Full travel, pro pedal and lock out, Shimano XTR Cassette, XTR Front Derailluer, XTR Rear Hub
$2,650.00 out the door.

Used 05' Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 120 "Expert" (very clean) riden 5 times on on the trail.
Suspension & Upgrades: Mavic cross max SL tubeless disc wheel set, Fox Float talas RL fork adjustible from 80mm to 130mm, Fox 120mm septune rear shock with adjustible 7clicks propedal, Avid Jucy seven hydraulic disk brakes with 6" wave rotors, Shimano XT trigger shifters, 9-speed Shimano XT hollow tech 2 crank set, XTR rear derailleur, rapid rise Shimano XTR cassette 11-34 9-speed, Tomson 90 stem, Monkey light carbon handlebar, Tomson seat post.
$2,150.00 shipped and then re assembled by local bike shop.

Used 03' Giant NRS 1 (very clean)
Suspension & Upgrades: Comes with Shimano XT components, RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS cranks, Hayes 6" Hydraulic Disc Brakes, RockShox Sid XC w/ rebound adjust, 3.75" rear travel, Marzocchi Bomber 5" travel w/ lock-up, carbon fiber handle bar.
$750.00 from a friend.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The NRS with a SID fork will never feel as plush as a Stumpy 120 with a Talas fork, so decide now how important more travel is to you. Otherwise it's a great XC machine.

If you mainly ride XC and trails, you couldn't go too wrong with that NRS1 I have to admit (a riding buddy of mine has an NRS Air). It has less travel front and rear than the Stumpy 120, but it's a pretty good deal. You could always pick up a more AM/FR bike in the future for the DH and rough stuff and keep the NRS for XC.

For the Stumpies, I would lean towards the new '06, unless the '05 was a fair bit cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FSRXC,

Thanks for the response. The description of the NRS 1 has Marzacchi Bomber 5" travel fork which I would thing is on par with the Fox Talas RL. For $750, this is a pretty good deal.

The Used 05' Stumpjumper "Expert" for $2,150 has probably $1,200 in upgrades for $500 less than the new 06' Expert with a couple upgrades. The 06' is a better looking bike as though.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Giant all the way, that bike can take a beating no matter what the mags say. My buddy has one & he friggin rails on it with a RS Pike fork but he amazes me with the things he does on thet bike. :thumbsup::D:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Like fsrxc said, the NRS and Stumpys are very different machines - you need to decide what you're looking for in a bike. The NRS is a race machine; light-weight with limited rear travel. Putting a long travel fork on the frame takes it away from it's intended purpose, and does not put it on par with the Stumpy when in the rough. Still, it's selling for a great price.

I say go for the used Stumpy. the used and new ones you listed are very similar, except for the $500 price difference and the very BLING Crossmax wheels (light, stiff, fast and $$$). Much more bang for your buck. Plus it's already tricked out with the wheels, stem, post, bars, etc. I doubt it weighs more than 27lbs, which is great for it's travel.

Ant

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would find out if the "05 Stumpy's warranty transfers to new owner and assuming it looks new (most probably not thrashed), that will be my choice.
NRS are more of XC race bikes and very good at that, but the Stumpys are more versatile IMO.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The 05 Stumpjumper is probably the best of the bikes but the NRS is a total steal and at $750 and as long as its medium thats probably the bike for you. The Stumpjumper is probably the bike for a guy who puts in a lot of hard miles on the trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.