Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously looking for a new 5-6 inch travel bike: Ibis Mojo, Yeti 575, SC Blur LT2, Intense Tracer VP, or Turner 5 Spot. I was thinking of getting a lesser bike as a parts donor and building up one of these nice boutique bikes. The news says that retail sales over $1000 are really suffering due to the economy. Now, I'm thinking it may be better to go for a complete bike.

I am wondering: should purchase now or wait? Any of you asking the same question?

Advice appreciated.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2Y0poywwRbAhzxuVKb7HwELWbWQ

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
glance2 said:
I am seriously looking for a new 5-6 inch travel bike: Ibis Mojo, Yeti 575, SC Blur LT2, Intense Tracer VP, or Turner 5 Spot. I was thinking of getting a lesser bike as a parts donor and building up one of these nice boutique bikes. The news says that retail sales over $1000 are really suffering due to the economy. Now, I'm thinking it may be better to go for a complete bike.

I am wondering: should purchase now or wait? Any of you asking the same question?

Advice appreciated.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2Y0poywwRbAhzxuVKb7HwELWbWQ
If you want a Spot now is a great time to buy. There are still 08's left on clearance, incredible deal for that bike.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,905 Posts
New '08 Trek Remedy 7s are $2k at the local trek store. Too good a deal to pass up. If you have more cash, the Tracer VP can be bought with build kits, the XT kit pretty sweet, although over 2x the price of the Remedy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am starting to hear supper bad things, much worse than anything we have witnessed so far. Hint: lots of chain stores had a terrible year and Christmas sales did not help. Leads me to believe we will see lots of commercial property vacated soon... if you can wait a few months I would not be surprised if you can't buy bikes (cars, homes, anything for that matter) for pennies on the dollar by mid year. Be sure to buy lots of travel, as we are going to seem some rough:rolleyes: times ahead

Also prime lending rate may will be negative by mid year, so for those who can borrow money its going to be a buyers market... like it aint already:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bike industry is much smaller than the corperate companies your refering to.I'm with ya on the waiting for a deal especially in the off season.But if things get as bad as you refer, your bike parts will stop being produced with larger problems than gettin bike parts.
All I'm sayin is lets be more positive about our nation's economy,istead of hopin for the worst!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think the economy will begin its recovery next year, I think people will have faith in the new administration. I can't speak for most of your brands but Full Cycles also has a good deal on 575 frames and didn't Santa Cruz just slash there prices as well? Now might be a good time, I think so and my mostly new bike will be ready by spring.

Anthony

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have the funds get the bike you really want. Don't let MSRP's scare you too bad, you have to actually start contacting and talking with multiple LBS's and online dealers to find their actual best prices.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Do us all a favor... if you can, BUY NOW. Deflation may sound like a good thing on the surface, but it's a really bad thing. And waiting to buy something on speculation that prices are going to fall is feeding the deflation fire.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The OP ask if now was the time to buy: So I looked back at historical trends and use those trends to project the future. It's what I do for a living... its not rocket science and its not 100% accurate... best guess is what I like to call it! Its not a matter of being negative or positive, nor is it a matter of hope.... its simply a matter of reading reality. The economy will someday reverse it's current trends, but for now we continue to slide with no indication of a bottom. The dollar is falling, interest rates are falling, about the only thing that's rising is the unemployment rate and the National Deficit. That's the reality of this space and time. It's not a pretty picture, but hay don't blame me... I have a 30 year fixed mortgage so I want get any of the bail out money... LOL. Also I drive a Nisson as the MPG is twice that of the old GM I traded in...

·
Registered
746 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
It's always a good time to buy if you know who to buy from.:thumbsup: Spend your money wisely and don't get caught up in this speculation. Now if you can't afford a new bike don't go into credit card doubt for a bike. Best of luck with your new purchase.
I totally agree, no credit... buy out right or don't buy.

There is one stipulation tho, if you can profit from the purchase of the bike then using credit is A.O.K. (e.i. runner)

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
glance2 said:
"Some bike shops are going to go out of business," he said he had told his staff. "Not every bike shop is going to go out of business, and if we don't want to be one, we've got to be great.

"Anybody who was a little weak, this is going to be the crushing blow," he added.

Good article. I've been to a few LBS and the level of service I got tells me they will not be around much longer. Anybody can sell you a bike but not everyone can provide service two years down the road. I've bought stuff from a couple of e-tailers here on mtbr and their level of customer service is Top Shelf.....and I've never stepped foot in their shop. A LBS that's not willing to go the extra mile for a customer will find it hard to survive in this economy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm from the UK and our dumb ass Prime Minister is trying to buy us out of the recession - according to his expert position we're best placed to 'ride the storm' in Europe... what a dick! Keep taxing us high and spending our money to get some crap bankers out of the sh*t... I say screw em all!

If you have the cash and can survive the onslaught on recession, go for it... If not, enjoy your current ride and save for a rainy day

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.