Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to decide and getting agravated. I am looking for a race specific XC machine, I was wanting to get it before the fall NORBA series. I am 5'6 @ 150 pounds and ride nothing but XC. I dont Xmtn,freeride/huck or DH. I can't decide to support my LBS or purchase from web retailers. Sure you save a few bucks from web retailers but with LBS if there is a issue, warranty ect.., you have local support. Tested the following: 04' NRS AIR, 04' Trek Fuel 100,98 and 95. 03' Turner Burner, 03' & 04' Specialized Epic & FSR and 04' Tomac Revolver Al. I was going to get the Tomac Revolver, it is fast, real fast, low center of gravity, 11.75" BB height. Designed by Manitou founder Doug Bradbury and John Tomac. I really want this bike but this is were the delimma begins. Manufactures are releasing the 05's soon! Do I buy now or wait for the 05's. I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass later for acting impulsively. I don't want to spend $3-4K and eat crow. If anyone at all has experienced this kind of cold feet or delimma please help me out. All advice is appreciated.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
tough

divesdeep said:
Unable to decide and getting agravated. I am looking for a race specific XC machine, I was wanting to get it before the fall NORBA series. I am 5'6 @ 150 pounds and ride nothing but XC. I dont Xmtn,freeride/huck or DH. I can't decide to support my LBS or purchase from web retailers. Sure you save a few bucks from web retailers but with LBS if there is a issue, warranty ect.., you have local support. Tested the following: 04' NRS AIR, 04' Trek Fuel 100,98 and 95. 03' Turner Burner, 03' & 04' Specialized Epic & FSR and 04' Tomac Revolver Al. I was going to get the Tomac Revolver, it is fast, real fast, low center of gravity, 11.75" BB height. Designed by Manitou founder Doug Bradbury and John Tomac. I really want this bike but this is were the delimma begins. Manufactures are releasing the 05's soon! Do I buy now or wait for the 05's. I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass later for acting impulsively. I don't want to spend $3-4K and eat crow. If anyone at all has experienced this kind of cold feet or delimma please help me out. All advice is appreciated.
That is a tough decision. Both choices could have their advantages. I was previously in the same position, and i bought before the new years' lineup came out. For me, that turned out to be a good decision. I liked the fork on the 02 model more than the new 03. If I would have waited, the old model would have been sold out. On top of it all, I got my shiny new bike sooner, so i could just go out and enjoy it. This is my experience.

However, if you do wait, depending on the model and weather it is sold out or not, you may be able to compare the componentry head to head and pick the one that you like best. Also, for the new year, they could change the frame and make it better in some way. Who knows? It would suck to miss out on something newer and greater.

Also, i reccomend going to an LBS if possible. If there is one you like, then go with them. If the LBS that carrys your bike is crappy, than you may as well order on line. I would hate to not have somewhere to turn when there is something wrong with my bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Thoughts Exactly

Exactly! I have noticed that components do change from year to year. There is a bike that I am unable to test, thats the cove hustler xc. I called the COVE guys and I can get it directly from them. Cut out the middleman. Great price with full xtr, crossmax sl, yada yada. I live in Fla and none of the LBS down here have distributors that work with cove. Cove rep. also told me that the only Hustler xc's that they have sold were 25 to some place in China. Because of that I am unable to get feedback on that bike, It sounds like a great bike but I believe its designed for a more aggressive mtn rider instead of a epic xc rider.
I currently own two Haro bikes, an escape 8.2 and a werks xls. The werks was a impulse buy, the bike is to heavy and burley for those long rides. It's a great bike and I ride it every week but I need a bike set up for the long epic rides.
There is alot of choices and I don't want to make a wrong decision. I do have several great LBS in my area and one of them I have done alot of buisness with. I have made a decision to go with my LBS. You do have me thinking now about waiting or not for the 05's to come out. It's a catch 22!

·
Registered
260 Posts
hey, in one of the recent issues of MTB action. They said for 05, there is going to be an increase of cost for materials, therfore upping the costs of bikes. Im not totally sure how true this is, but you may want to keep that in mind?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would wait for the '05

because even if you don't like the components and the price they come with, then you could most likely get the '04 at clearance price. That's what a friend of mine did when he bought his 03 Enduro Pro. He got it on Oct. '03. At that time he either had the choice of going with the $2000 '03 with all XTR save for the cranks, or the full $3000 '04 with all XT, including the fancy new cranks, ProPedal and annodizing. He couldn't justify the extra cash for the 04 so he went with the 03.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frazzeled

Man, all of you have brought up great points and I thank all of you for the insight. I awakened this morning and before I crawled out of bed, decided to write a check to my LBS. Then changed my mind durring lunch after reading the last post.
I would like to play the waiting game but not sure when they will be releasing the 05'? If I had that info I could time this purchase. Possibly put 20% down on a 04' hold out for a little while, and if an 05' is released that is in or around my price range with a component package that grabs my attention jump on it. If not, at least I have held that 04'

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
steve3 said:
Please, that's the most nonsensical thing they could say. So it will make people scramble to buy bikes that are in stock now to boost the "lagging" bike industry.

Pathetic.
This is actually true, for motorcycles as well.
China is in a massive consumption binge of raw materials, causing short supply worldwide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto

Strafer said:
This is actually true, for motorcycles as well.
China is in a massive consumption binge of raw materials, causing short supply worldwide.
That explains why the only hustler xc's that COVE has sold was exported to China.
I thought it was funny when the Cove rep. told me that I would be the second owner in the USA of a hustler xc. 2nd to him, but I'm not going with the hustler. BB height is 13.25" for clearance and a slack head tube which tells me this machine is set up for the Northwest. More of a XMTN rig. Good quality. Not squashing the cove, but I already have two Haro's.
I am going to call my LBS when they open today and find out when 05's might be released. Call Tomac and ask the same, hell Tomac may not even have any changes - they just came out with the ELI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts