Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, once a year my good riding buddy and I take a road trip to the mountains on the east coast for three days filled with some DH fun. We have hit up places like Whiteface, Killington and Highland. I typically ride my GT Force with a burly fork, wheels and tires and it handles it well enough but as you can imagine its not ideal.

I've been looking at buying/building a more legit DH bike but with my budget is super low at 500-1000. I'm also short at 5'5" which I've found to limit selection. I actually found a 2005 GT DHi for $450. It appears to be in good condition and has boxxers and a dhx5 but is it worth my while to buy 10 year old tech over riding what I am now?

As for building I have most of a nine speed drivetrain, I could swap a lighter fork onto my force and I could mod my domain fork to 180mm. I have a relatively burly set of wheels, a seat and post. I really just need a frame with a shock, bars, stem and brakes.

Or should I just rent a real rig? For three days of riding it will be an extra 300 or so each year. But then I will literally be riding a different bike each day I ride while on vacation.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Have no idea what type of bike a GT Force is, XC, Free Ride, Road, Tricicycle? Your link directs to some sort of hi-perfomance automotive muffler.

But you should be able to use the same rental for all three days while your on Vaction. Just shop around and find a shop that'll work with you. You can usually bribe them with a six-pack of micro-brew. If not use this opertunity to test different brands of bikes

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd put buying a 2005 DH bike in distant last place out of those options. Just rent, riding a modern DH bike will be a lot more fun and easier on your body. Plus you're less likely to break stuff on your AM bike, though if you've built it up then that might not be an issue.

Have no idea what type of bike a GT Force is, XC, Free Ride, Road, Tricicycle? Your link directs to some sort of hi-perfomance automotive muffler.
The Force is GT's all mountain model. I don't see a link in the OP's post, so it was probably AdWords.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts