Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello need help, i am switching from hardtail to full susp
i am doing good mtb, i love the downills but also want an easy bike to climb with,
the quiestion is and sorry for the Iron Horse lovers, is a IH a good bike brand?

My friends here rides specialized but i am looking that IH has good components too, please help me in understand why i should buy an Iron Horse,

i forgot to mention that the one i am interested in is the MKIII Comp, any sugestion?
thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
He wants to go up as well down, so yes i would think an MKIII at five inches of travel would be the best fit. As to the poster's question about brands -- don't think too much about it. IH, Spesh and most brands are providing a pretty kick-ass mountain bike at a given price point. If you're bringing home a $400 bike, then no matter the brand you're not getting a serious bike. Drop two grand on nearly any bike and you'll do well. The MKII specifically has a DW-link suspension design which means it'll climb like the money as well as descend. A stumpy would be great too, though I'm sure you could get much more bang for the buck with IH. My only suggestion is to buy a bike from a local shop -- the support and knowledge you get from a local bike shop means more than the bike's brand.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure but I would take full advantage of that sale!! My 06 MKIII is AWESOME!! Over the weekend I rode for 15 miles and the bike was fantastic!! Demo the bike if your able to I guarantee you will buy the bike.. Sure there are other bikes out there to choose from but I feel this was the best investment I made and for what I wanted to spend. Good luck in your decision. :thumbsup:

·
Advanced Slacker
15,456 Posts
maracas said:
hello need help, i am switching from hardtail to full susp
i am doing good mtb, i love the downills but also want an easy bike to climb with,
the quiestion is and sorry for the Iron Horse lovers, is a IH a good bike brand?

My friends here rides specialized but i am looking that IH has good components too, please help me in understand why i should buy an Iron Horse,

i forgot to mention that the one i am interested in is the MKIII Comp, any sugestion?
thanks
The MKIII is a quality bike, certainly on par with the big brands like Specialized and Giant. As far as IH as a whole, they are currently putting out pretty legit bikes on there higher end, but that may not last much longer, as they seem to be about to switch the focus of their sales. For now what that means is you can get a bike with a KILLER frame pretty cheap. I've owned a Santa Cruz Superlight, Heckler, and an Azonic Saber, and this MKIII is the best so far. The DW Link is pretty amazing, though you may not fully appreciate it unless you have spent some time on other designs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope this helps

The following is an email exchange b/t IH Warranty dept and me about 1 week ago:

Hello,

I am very interested in purchasing an '08 MKIII Comp from one of your dealers. ! am aware of your expiring contract with the designers of the DW-Link and have numerous opinions that this will make it harder to obtain replacement parts for the frame/suspension were I to need them in the future. What can the Iron Horse do to work with me on this? Am I only hearing "nasty rumors"?
Thanks,

Thanks for the e-mail. We will continue to support the bikes we produce through their warranty periods and beyond. While we are losing the DW link contract, the contract doesn't restrict us from ordering replacement parts for these bikes such as pivot kits or derailleur hangers. We also currently have great stock on these pivot kits and replacement frames. If you have any other questions let me know.
Regards,

[XXXXXX)
[email protected]
Customer Service/Warranty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.