Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Giant Revel 29er vs the Felt Nine 80 at my LBS but it looks like the Giant 29er is not available for order. But they do have a Giant Talon 27.5 5.5 for $570 on order. I will be going to buy either the Felt Nine 80 ($550) or Giant Talon 27.5 5.5 ($570) this weekend, which is the better bike? I will be riding with my family (1 and 5 year old) most of the time but on rare occasion will ride off road with friends. I don’t know much about bikes 27.5 vs 29, tyes of shifters, etc so any help would be appreciated. I had an old thread on something similar but when I started it I never heard of Felt nor did I even consider a 27.5 Talon. Thanks.

GIANT Talon 27.5 5.5
Frame: ALUXX-grade aluminum
Fork: SR Suntour XCT MLO, w/lockout, 100mm travel
Handlebar: Giant Sport, low rise, 25.4mm
Stem: Giant Sport
Seatpost: Giant Sport, 30.9mm
Saddle: Giant Connect, Upright
Pedals: Alloy Platform
Shifters: SRAM X4, Trigger Shift
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X5
Brakes: Tektro Novela, mechanical disc, 160mm
Brake Levers: Tektro
Cassette: Shimano HG31 11x34, 8-speed
Chain: KMC Z8
Crankset: SR Suntour NEX, 24/34/42
Bottom Bracket: SR Suntour sealed
Rims: Giant Alloy, double wall
Hubs: Alloy, 32h
Spokes: Stainless steel, 14g
Tires: Giant Sport, 27.5x2.1

FELT Nine 80
Frame: Felt Nine Series XC, Dynaform butted 6061 aluminum, semi-integrated head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, IS disc mounts, standard 73mm bottom bracket, 135mm OLD, Ø30.9mm seatpost, 34.9mm low clamp front derailleur
Fork: Suntour XCT, 100mm travel, 1-1/8" steerer tube, forged 6061 crown, 28mm stanchion, aluminum lowers, coil spring + MCU, w/ preload adjust
Headset: FSA No.10 integrated 1-1/8" Aheadset, custom cone spacer 1 x 8mm + 2 x 5mm straight spacers, w/ Felt Tornado aluminum top cap
Stem: Felt MTB 3D-forged threadless 1-1/8" +/- 7° rise for Ø31.8mm handlebar w/ CP Cr-Mo bolts: XS - 70mm SM/MD - 80mm LG - 90mm XL - 100mm
Handlebar: Felt MTB 6061 aluminum, 15mm rise, 9° sweep, 680mm wide
Grips: Felt Wing Grip, double-density
Bar Ends: Felt Bubble-Tech F-Wing
Shifters: SRAM X4 3 x 8-speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus low clamp Ø34.9mm, bottom pull, 3 x 8-speed
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X4, 8-speed, medium cage
Crankset: Suntour XCT w/ forged aluminum arms, 3 x 8-speed: XS - 170mm SM/MD/LG/XL - 175mm
Chainwheel: Suntour 42/32/22T
Bottom Bracket: Sealed cartridge, square taper axle
Pedals: Low profile nylon platform
Chain: Sunrace 8-speed
Freewheel: Sunrace 11-34T 8-speed
Brake Levers: Tektro MTB
Brakes: Tektro Novella mechanical disc w/ 180mm rotor
Cables: Felt All-Weather Sealed Slick
Saddle: Felt MTB performance
Seat Post: Felt butted 6061 aluminum micro-adjust 15mm offset: XS/SM - Ø 30.9 x 350mm MD/LG/XL - Ø 30.9 x 400mm
Seat Post Clamp: Aluminum 6061 CNC cold forged w/ barrel nut design, Ø34.9mm
Rims: Aluminum double wall
Front Hub: Forged aluminum, 6-bolt disc mount, 32 hole, 9mm QR axle
Rear Hub: Forged aluminum 8-speed, 6-bolt disc mount, 32 hole, 135 x 10mm axle
Spokes: Stainless steel 2.0mm w/ brass nipples
Tires: WTB Nano Comp, 29 x 2.1

All e-mail to/from this account is subject to official review and is for official use only. Action may be taken in response to any inappropriate use of the Secret Service's e-mail system. This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, law enforcement sensitive, or subject to other disclosure limitations. Such information is loaned to you and should not be further disseminated without the permission of the Secret Service. If you have received this e-mail in error, do not keep, use, disclose, or copy it; notify the sender immediately and delete it. **

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
The weak point for many of the name brand bikes in this price range continues to be the Suntour 'X' series simple low grade one coil spring on one side fork. Good enough for bike paths. Trails quickly overwhelm it. Pogos because of no adjustable rebound damping. 28mm stanchions are flexy. 6.2lb weight is an anchor when climbing, popping up over rocks and making quick turns.

The best current value is a Marin Bobcat Trail 29 2013 off ebay. The Raidon air fork has adjustable rebound damping. It has a sealed no maintenance oil damper. It weighs less. It makes the bike trail ready.
Alivio/Deore drive is dependable.

2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

You would also come out ahead ordering a BikeDirect Gravity Point 1 and doing the Suntour upgrade program for 200 when needed.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I would do a bikes direct bike and a suntour epicon, and sell the fork that came with it. If you're worried about money, for the same component tier you will be ahead compared to the lbs prices, and you'll have a better bike.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
They are both good bikes. Ride them and pick the one that fits the best. You can often get better components from buying online, but if you are not sure what geometry you like on a bike, you may get a better equipped bike that sits in the garage because you don't like the way it rides. If it turns out you ride beyond the capabilities of the fork suntour has a great upgrade program.

·
Registered
508 Posts
All e-mail to/from this account is subject to official review and is for official use only. Action may be taken in response to any inappropriate use of the Secret Service's e-mail system. This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, law enforcement sensitive, or subject to other disclosure limitations. Such information is loaned to you and should not be further disseminated without the permission of the Secret Service. If you have received this e-mail in error, do not keep, use, disclose, or copy it; notify the sender immediately and delete it. **
Do I have permission from the Secret Service to respond to this? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts