Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Redline Monocog 26 that is basically stock with the addition of Avid bb5's. I would like to lighten it up a bit and I know the wheels are the first place to start. I can build wheels and I am thinking of re-building the wheels with butted stainless spokes and aluminum nipples instead of the straight-gage spokes and brass nipples that come with it. I can do this cheap, so money is not an issue.

*how much weight would this actually save?
*how much lighter would my bike feel? (I know this is subjective, but would it make a big difference?)
*how much strength might I loose switching to butted spokes and aluminum nipples?

What would be the next cheapest way to loose some weight on this bike?

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/?act=viewDoc&docId=10
thats a nice page to look at for weight differences...

the weight of your rotational mass creates a much greater difference in performance then dead weight does.

i have heard..
1. that DT tests its rev's at higher strength's then their strait spokes...
2. some professional downhiller used them...
3. they are stronger because of the processes they are put through to make.
maybe someone else can verify those for you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
a dh spoke might be the dt alpine an expensive 13/15/14 spoke,they only come kind of long(as far as i know)so i think i had to build 36 spoke 4x which is ok for side strength,but not exactly gram weenie material. It almost seems as though that spoke may have been made for heavy duty 700c (now 29er) use,tandem. Idid build with alloy nipples too,and i broke one,brakeside back, the wheel only went out a little and straightened right out when i replaced the nipple witha brass one. The heavy 13 guage part of the spoke is in by the hub,the bend at the flange,it's very short and strengthens that part of the spoke without adding a whole lot of weight in an area that is low velocity.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,674 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.