Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I need some advice from the experts here!
I want to take off some weight from my disc wheelset by switching the spokes from straight to butted, and maybe the brass for alloy nipples too. This is the current spec:

Front
155----xtr 960 disc hub
397-----mavic 717 disc
222------Dt 2.0 straight(32pcs,avg 264mm)
41------Brass long nipples (32)

815 Total

Rear
311xtr 960
397mavic
222spokes
41nipples

971 Total

Front +rear=1786

My idea is switch to DT revolution 2/1.5/2 with a saving of 80 gms per wheel (according to my scale measurment compared with the weight weenies listings)
And the alum nipples would take 20 gms per wheel.
That would leave the current 1786 gms whelset at 1586. Not bad at all! And I can keep the hubs (which I love) and the rims, making it kind of affordable upgrade(revolutions aren´t cheap, but cheaper than new rims or hubs, aren´t they?)
Now, I weigh 167 lbs, bike is a steel hardtail (RM blizzard) fox fork and xtr discs 160mm rotors.
I have acces to the shop I used to work some times, truing stand and quality spoke wrenches and all (I could even check tension if strongly recomended).So build is going to be performed carefully (and somehow skillfully:rolleyes: )
So,Is that a good idea, you think?
Thanks

·
born again
652 Posts
What&son said:
Hello. I need some advice from the experts here!
I want to take off some weight from my disc wheelset by switching the spokes from straight to butted, and maybe the brass for alloy nipples too. This is the current spec:

Front
155----xtr 960 disc hub
397-----mavic 717 disc
222------Dt 2.0 straight(32pcs,avg 264mm)
41------Brass long nipples (32)

815 Total

Rear
311xtr 960
397mavic
222spokes
41nipples

971 Total

Front +rear=1786

My idea is switch to DT revolution 2/1.5/2 with a saving of 80 gms per wheel (according to my scale measurment compared with the weight weenies listings)
And the alum nipples would take 20 gms per wheel.
That would leave the current 1786 gms whelset at 1586. Not bad at all! And I can keep the hubs (which I love) and the rims, making it kind of affordable upgrade(revolutions aren´t cheap, but cheaper than new rims or hubs, aren´t they?)
Now, I weigh 167 lbs, bike is a steel hardtail (RM blizzard) fox fork and xtr discs 160mm rotors.
I have acces to the shop I used to work some times, truing stand and quality spoke wrenches and all (I could even check tension if strongly recomended).So build is going to be performed carefully (and somehow skillfully:rolleyes: )
So,Is that a good idea, you think?
Thanks
I wouldn't use Revolutions for a disc build. Some people have but IMO they are too light. You could use them on the non-disc front side if you wanted. I'd use the DT Supercomps instead, they would save you a bunch of weight over strait gage 2.0 for sure. I'd recommend supercomps on both sides rear. Up front I'd go fairly heavy on the disc side, at least a supercomp. I like the Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7/2.0 for front drive side on disc rims. Lighter than the 2.0/1.8/2.0 DT Comp. Revolutions are fine on the non-disc side. And definitely go with aluminum nipples. I just built up a new rear wheel with Supercomps and the new DT 4.2d rim with my King hubs. Came in at 865 grams.:)
I find a tensiometer is very useful in building wheels.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
great info !

Ok, I´ll resume it:

front left 16pcs DTrevolutions 2/1.5/2 = - 40 gms (over 2.0 straight)
front right 16pcs DT supercomps 2/1.7/1.8= - 31.5gms

rear both sides 32pcs DT supercomps 2/1.7/1.8= - 63

Total saving is 193 gms, including the total 64 alum nipples.

Great!

·
born again
652 Posts
What&son said:
Ok, I´ll resume it:

front left 16pcs DTrevolutions 2/1.5/2 = - 40 gms (over 2.0 straight)
front right 16pcs DT supercomps 2/1.7/1.8= - 31.5gms

rear both sides 32pcs DT supercomps 2/1.7/1.8= - 63

Total saving is 193 gms, including the total 64 alum nipples.

Great!
Sounds good except you want the supercomps on the left (disc) side up front and the revo's on the right (non-disc). Don't forget that supercomps use 1.8 nipples and revo's 2.0. Standard 12mm length is what you want for nipples.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I mistaken the side.
Using the DT web spoke calculator it gives me rather strange spoke lengths.
See:
fr/le 262
fr/ri 265

re/le 264
re/ri 263

I dunno the bike shop will have all that measurments available.
I think is going to be more like this: (bold are the changed length)

fr-le 263
fr-ri 265

re-le 265
re-ri 263

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.