Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, hopefully not too dumb of a question here. Got a new rig and my butt is a little tender after a couple days of riding. im not sure if the new seat is uncomfortable or if my butt sits on it different and needs to get used to it.

basically wondering if i should be getting a little bit of discomfort from a new seat, "butt break-in"?

otherwise ill swap my crappy but comfy seat from my old rig.:thumbsup:

thanks

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
First thought is that you've ridden the hell out of your new rig the past couple days, and that's provoking the new seat discomfort.
If not, then I my opinion I'd swap the old saddle over. I don't think you should try breaking your butt in. Everyone's sit bones are different, the new seat may just not agree with yours.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
There's another thread here about saddles and whether they really matter. They do. Most important is the width of the saddle so your sitz bones are supported. A good way to check if you have a saddle that will 'break in' is to check the specs online of the width of the saddle you are comfortable with. Then compare that to your new ones' specs. You can easily find this info if you look. If the new one is not too much less than your old one, it should be good after a bit of getting used to the no doubt slightly different shape from the one you have become used to. The amount and type of padding will increase comfort, but also weight...

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If the soreness is on your sit bones, that's good, as it means they are supporting your weight as they should. The rear of the saddle should be wide enough to catch your sit bones. If the soreness is in your crotch, then the saddle may be too narrow to catch your sit bones, or too soft. Saddles that are too soft transfer pressure into your soft tissues, and after a while induce soreness there. Finally, butts are like faces: they all have the same features, just in different proportions. So saddle comfort is a highly individual thing. You just have to find one that works for you.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,271 Posts
I usually find that it's not the saddle that breaks in, but my butt needs to get used to the shape of the new saddle. assuming the width of the new one is about the same as the old, and the soreness is on my sit bones, I just give it a little time (a couple weeks) and my butt adapts and is no longer sore.

if it's soft tissue soreness, that's something else entirely. go back to the old one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually find that it's not the saddle that breaks in, but my butt needs to get used to the shape of the new saddle. assuming the width of the new one is about the same as the old, and the soreness is on my sit bones, I just give it a little time (a couple weeks) and my butt adapts and is no longer sore.

if it's soft tissue soreness, that's something else entirely. go back to the old one.
im going to give it a couple weeks and go from there. appreciate all the help in here. ill keep it in mind.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I recommend you take a look at Fizik's Arione and Tundra II saddles. The Tundra is the MTB version of the Arione. When the Fizik Arione saddle came out in 2003 it made a big slash at the Giro de Italia because of its extra long length and flat platform. The Arione is the more comfortable of the two but it has a draw back for descending behind the saddle because of its pointy rear end.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml[/URL

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If the soreness is on your sit bones, that's good, as it means they are supporting your weight as they should.
What he said. The right saddle wont feel right when adjusted improperly.

When breaking in a new bike, saddle set-up takes me a while.

I take a good long ride I take note of what part of my butt is pressing on the saddle, and what gets sore afterwards.

Most of the time, I just need to move the saddle forward so that it catches my sit bones. Scooting forward while riding also tells me that I need to move the saddle forward.

Other issues that can arise when youre not on your sit bones.

1) Inner thigh soreness.
2) Blood in your pee
3) Chills, fever and pain from a bruised prostate
4) Numbness on your hoohoo

etc etc Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.