Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took two of my stock Brooks B.17 leather saddles, and went to work on them.

"Butchered and Tied" as it is known in the industry. :)

What do you think? I love the new look. :)

R.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
??

Is that something that you came up with yourself or are you following the lead of others who have done the same? Looks to me like violating the integrity of the protective covering would accelerate the deteriation.

·
Your bike sucks
2,247 Posts
I like the Red/Brown one. Looks nice. Some of the saddles on the page you linked are cool too. I can understand the 'tied' part but what do the 3 holes in the nose do?

C.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Rainman said:
In this case I am merely a follower. This is not new, it has been done before by many other owners of Brooks saddles.

Here is a link to a couple of examples:

http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

Enjoy... :)

R.
All I have ridden for years are Brooks, havent modded any of the 4? I have currently but may try it some day. They sure look good! My only other saddle that gets use is a leather Lepper (like a Swift) on my Pinarello.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
I've seen those pictures in the link before, even have a couple saved on my computers. I have a couple of Brooks I don't have the guts to cut, but I do have an older B-17 with the small rivets I've been thinking of "butchering". What did you cut it with and did you have to do any finish work? I'm not sure how to start, though I do have an idea about what shape I want.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Done that

Done that with a cheaper French saddle. It works well.
I still regreet the 5 week trip I once took , replacing leather with a Rolls (Sella SM).
Biggest mistake I ever made. Leather is hard to beat for days in the saddle. Not that I have any right now.

·
pepito
640 Posts
Soupboy said:
Abuse.

I'm forwarding this post to Health and Human Services.
actually, these saddles are just about the most taint friendly i've found.

rainman, i've been thinking of doing that lately, because i forgot to tighten my saddle as it broke in, and now it might be too broken in. tying it would create the needed tension. the only thing i was worried about is the rise of the center of the saddle (taintular region), and how comfortable that would be. how does it feel seated?

the_dude

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Rainman said:
I took two of my stock Brooks B.17 leather saddles, and went to work on them.

"Butchered and Tied" as it is known in the industry. :)

What do you think? I love the new look. :)

R.
I love the look also. I prefer the brown color. I have an old B17 Narrow but I don't have the nerve to cut it.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Antique Brown is also my favourite colour. It glows with a beautiful reddish brown sheen in some lights.. :)

I used a new and very sharp Stanley knife to cut the leather after taping out the angle of the cut like in the link I provided on the Wallbike site..I used plain red coloured half inch wide electrical tape to tape out the line of the cut.

I have no leatherworking tools, so I just left it as is...but hope to complete the modifications when I can buy a couple of leatherwork finishing tools.

Someone asked about the holes in the saddle..they are for taint ventilation...lol..

It took me quite a long time to gather my courage to cut the first saddle, as I was afraid of messing it up. The second one was easier, because I knew what I was doing.

Now i'm glad I did it. The butchered and tied saddle looks really great..imo. The side lacing firms up the saddle nicely, and the saddles are very comfortable because they are both 'broken in'.

The ties are simply cut down runner laces in brown and black.

I wanted to get the Swallow model look in a wider seat..ergo, the "swallowised" B.17

R.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
do you ride those saddles in rain/mud? do they stretch?

brooks saddles sure look comfy but i can't run a saddle on my mtb or commuter i'd be afraid to get wet.

i really like the look of them chopped down. nice job!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts