Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've got a butcher with 2011 zocchi 55 rc3ti's and have been offered a blur TR frame for a good price.... would need to put a shorter fork on the front, thinking pikes....

am I gonna miss the extra travels, it'll be a lot more of an all rounder I know but I really like to steam the downs and I weight 250lbs.

thoughts?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I ride my TRc pretty hard (certainly as hard as my old CCDB/Deville Covert), it's a rougher ride, you have to pick your lines more, but it's certainly capable enough.

The question should be as to whether you happy trading off a little mindless ploughability for lighter weight and more modern geometry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think my days of back country nasty trails are getting numbered. The extra climbing and less weight will be a good trade off I think.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Do it schmoo the VPP platform gives the feeling of more travel + it will be smoother than your single Pivot butcher

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
As you may have gathered from the reviews and people posting here, the TR(C) is truly a great bike. It's dead on in terms of being capable of shredding, but will still carry you around for an epic 6 hour ride. It's the combo of a light frame with the right geo - a pretty rare occurence nowadays even with the plethora of bikes out there. For my money, it's the most versatile bike I've ever had (probably true for the 5010/Solo also) and I'd be hard pressed to find something as versatile out there (except a hardtail).

I even raced a cyclocross race on mine (did pretty good as I was bunny hopping the barriers and shredding the corners!!).

It's a can't miss frame. The only nagging issue is the circular crack around the lower VPP pivot, but it's only on the carbon version, so no worries for you.

Truth to be told, I'd go with the alloy version if I had to it all over again. Same bike with less worries and more shredding!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Nice one! Just got back from a ride on mine... such a fun ride and it really eggs you on to get it leaned over in the corners. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll throw my vote in for the TR (I have a TRc). I'm a big guy at 6'2 & 230 and ride aggressively and I've never had an issue with mine (I must have lucked out cause I see zero signs of the circular crack). I live in SoCal and our trails have tons of braking bumps and higher speed chatter, not as many large drops so I don't feel the travel limits me much at all. I've definitely become a better rider with this bike. It just begs you to go faster, to rail that turn a little harder, and pop off that feature a little more often. I was more of a point & shoot type rider (I previously had a Tracer VP with a 160 Float). The only time I've felt like I wanted a bigger bike was in Moab on burlier trails like the Whole Enchilada and Amasaback.

I have an XL frame with Stan's Flow EX, Conti 2.4's, a Kronolog seat post, XX1, and a RS Revelation WC with the Motion Control damper instead of the XX1 damper. I've been blown away by the performance on the fork, and at 230lbs I don't really notice excessive flex (sometimes under hard braking through chatter). My build sits right around 26 lbs with heavy CB Mallet pedals.

I've experimented with different travel settings on my fork (130 and 140mm) and I've been really surprised how those 10mms are actually noticeable and make the bike feel totally different. Set at 130 the bike is playful and turns in quicker, at 140 it feels like you have to lay the bike over a bit more through turns and it feels like a "bigger" bike. I'm not entirely sure which I prefer, but I found it interesting that a regular rider like me could tell the difference in the way the bike felt with such a small change.

Longwinded, sorry. Get the TR, you won't regret it!

I don't know why the thumbnail picture is so large, sorry.
IMG_3706.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts