Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which version of the 2.3 Butcher to run on the front of my 2007 Enduro SL.

Per the specialized web site, the SX is 250 grams heavier, but weighing actual tires reveals only a 127 gram difference. so I think weight is a wash.

Control and SX have the same spacing betereen side knobs, but the Control has more space between center knobs. The SX has a thicker casing, and taller, wider, softer knobs than the control version. SX has 50Sa rubber center with 45Sa on the sides. Control is 50Sa all around.

Seems like the taller, softer side knobs on the SX would lend themselves to cornering in loose/intermediate soil but might deform under more dry/hard conditions?

I have seen good feedback on the SX, but not much on the Control. Anyone use and like the Control version? Anyone try both on the front?

I want a front tire that rails in the corners, but doesn't kill me on the climbs.

Thanks in advance

G

·
Interested in this as well.I was looking at the new well not new, but the lighter minions. Then I came across these...

If you don't mind me taging along, how is the sizing on these? Is a 2.3 really a 2.3, or is it minion like sizing? What about volume? Rolling resistance?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i've only got a few rides on my butcher control and can't compare to the sx but for a lightweight trail tire i'm loving it. mounted on bontrager duster rims i measure 2.228" across the knobs. i haven't measured height but i would consider this a taller tire and higher volume than a 2.35 minion for sure. rolling resistance is better than the clutch control it replaced which felt better than the 2.35 minion the clutch replaced. keep in mind both S tires are lighter than the minion.

it really depends on your conditions and riding though as to which version will suit you better. the control is a trail tire while the sx is more a freeride tire with usage geared towards big hit bikes that need to be climbed as well. remember also that S has a tire guarantee that will allow you to swap one tire for another if the performance of that tire is not up to par. i personally don't like taking advantage of their guarantee by being realistic about how the tire is going to be used, but you could try the control and if it doesn't feel stout enough you could swap it for the sx.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To follow up for anyone listening along it was with great hesitation that I replaced my Purgatory Control 2.4 (HUGE tire) with the Butcher Control 2.3.

All I can say is this Butcher is in a whole different league from a cornering grip standpoint.

I went out on a local trail and was able to ride harder and faster than ever before, it totally instills confidence. One of my best bike mods ever...

The Eskar2 Control 2.3 has been my go-to rear tire for a while and was a great match to the Butcher up front.

The Purgatoty will not make it back onto my bike...

Edit: on my 19mm internal width rims, the Butcher Control 2.3 measured 2.1 (casing) and 2.2 (tread knobs). A little on the small size but I stopped caring after railing a few corners :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My Butcher Control casing is just as big as the Butcher SX.
With the Butcher Control I noticed faster acceleration out of the corners and while pumping. And a more supple feeling.
To me however I noticed no difference in rolling speed when compared to the SX on longer fire road climbs and flats. Which was odd considering the almost 200gram weight difference between the 2 tires. If anything it felt slower.
That being the case I would rather have the added security of the SX.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,452 Posts
Trying to decide which version of the 2.3 Butcher to run on the front of my 2007 Enduro SL.

Per the specialized web site, the SX is 250 grams heavier, but weighing actual tires reveals only a 127 gram difference. so I think weight is a wash.

Control and SX have the same spacing betereen side knobs, but the Control has more space between center knobs. The SX has a thicker casing, and taller, wider, softer knobs than the control version. SX has 50Sa rubber center with 45Sa on the sides. Control is 50Sa all around.

Seems like the taller, softer side knobs on the SX would lend themselves to cornering in loose/intermediate soil but might deform under more dry/hard conditions?

I have seen good feedback on the SX, but not much on the Control. Anyone use and like the Control version? Anyone try both on the front?

I want a front tire that rails in the corners, but doesn't kill me on the climbs.

Thanks in advance
FWIW, I have a Butcher Control on the front. I really like it a lot. A little heavier and narrower than advertized, though.

Mine is ~774g

On a Mavic 321 (21mm internal width)
Casing: 2.15"
Tread: 2.21"

On the heavy side for an XC-cased 2.15, but those treads are for real, and real treads don't come light. I would gladly trade another 50g for some more width, though.

I must say that despite the smaller-than-expected size, it handles great, and is stable in the rough. Corners like mad. Nice supple feel, too.

I'm looking to get some new rims, might look for something wider, I think that will help the footprint of this tire a lot.

Reactions: Mr.P

·
The Unaffiliated
873 Posts
Any experience with mounting the SX version tubeless? I'm sure the Control version mounts up nicely since it is tubeless ready, but I want the softer rubber.

Maxxis Minion vs Butcher Control: The butcher wins for tubeless ready. Minion wins for EXO casing.

I want all 3: Tubeless ready, lightweight sidewall protection, soft/sticky rubber.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
FWIW, I have a Butcher Control on the front. I really like it a lot. A little heavier and narrower than advertized, though.

Mine is ~774g

On a Mavic 321 (21mm internal width)
Casing: 2.15"
Tread: 2.21"

On the heavy side for an XC-cased 2.15, but those treads are for real, and real treads don't come light. I would gladly trade another 50g for some more width, though.

I must say that despite the smaller-than-expected size, it handles great, and is stable in the rough. Corners like mad. Nice supple feel, too.

I'm looking to get some new rims, might look for something wider, I think that will help the footprint of this tire a lot.
my butcher control on a bonty duster rim (23mm internal) comes out to 2.20" casing and 2.24" tread.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Any experience with mounting the SX version tubeless? I'm sure the Control version mounts up nicely since it is tubeless ready, but I want the softer rubber.

Maxxis Minion vs Butcher Control: The butcher wins for tubeless ready. Minion wins for EXO casing.

I want all 3: Tubeless ready, lightweight sidewall protection, soft/sticky rubber.
Check out this review by ti'SSer on the Butcher SX. He really likes them and seems to suggest they fill all three of your requirements..... inlcuding easy and trouble/burp free tubeless set-up.

I have a 2.5/2.3 SX combo sitting on my bench that I ordered a few months back based on this (and other) recommendations just waiting for my Minion 2.5 EXOs to wear out.

Planning on mounting them tubless on DT 5.1D and Mavic 325 rims.

I'll report back I soon as I get them on and get some rides in.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,452 Posts
my butcher control on a bonty duster rim (23mm internal) comes out to 2.20" casing and 2.24" tread.
Interesting. 7 months later and on a Flow rim, mine now measures 2.25" at the casing and the tread.

This tire has been an out-freakin'-standing front tire for every type of riding I do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know if this applies to SX and Control, but Butcher DH 2.3 is way narrower than Clutch DH 2.3 and Chunder DH 2.3. I just purchased a set, but I decided to sell them because of this. Just way too narrow.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I don't know if this applies to SX and Control, but Butcher DH 2.3 is way narrower than Clutch DH 2.3 and Chunder DH 2.3. I just purchased a set, but I decided to sell them because of this. Just way too narrow.
my butcher control is just a bit narrower in casing and tread than my clutch control. like a 1.5mm difference. it has also been mounted and ridden longer so i'm chalking that difference up to the tire stretching over time. my butcher control has grown since first mounted as well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.