Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on the upside I am not dead, however I forgot to take my allergy meds before (I am basically allergic to where I live)... then went on after noon ride...

nearly threw up and couldn't breath after a couple miles...finally made it home and took allergy meds now.. but I'm itchy and feel like crap... I shall not forget to take the allergy meds again... blah.. also..because I'm an idiot I forgot the rescue inhaler (DO NOT TELL MY WIFE ABOUT THIS SHE WILL BE HELLA P*SSED:)). On the upside I didn't die.. on the downside the ride was a total disaster..ooooops

so all them weeds .... I'm allergic to pretty much all of them..

don't go out into the trails without you allergy stuff and rescue inhaler apparently...

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet bike though, hope to not see you keeled over on the side of the trail.
=p thanx I do like this bike.. I have to admit there was about a minute when I though I was going to have to dial 911 .. I won't bore you with details but I was having sever respiratory problems .... happily it calmed down enough to make it back to the house..

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Glad you are okay.

And seriously, you have plenty of room for an emergency allergy kit on that bike. Nice ride, btw.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I also suffer from allergies...

As I've gotten older my symptoms have wained somewhat.

Only at the height of allergy season I will use nasal spray & eye drops.

Once in a blue moon I'll pop a antihistamine tablet.

The rest of the time I just put up with it.

I'm sure to my riding cohorts it sounds like I'm doing lines of coke as I sniff & snort my way down the trail i.e. excess mucus buildup.

Note to self, take a pill next ride out o_0
(mid Winter now... make it 2 months time)

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also suffer from allergies...

As I've gotten older my symptoms have wained somewhat.

Only at the height of allergy season I will use nasal spray & eye drops.

Once in a blue moon I'll pop a antihistamine tablet.

The rest of the time I just put up with it.

I'm sure to my riding cohorts it sounds like I'm doing lines of coke as I sniff & snort my way down the trail i.e. excess mucus buildup.

Note to self, take a pill next ride out o_0
(mid Winter now... make it 2 months time)

Sent from my Nokia X6
if anyone had heard me during the main "attack" they would have probably called 911... I have Allergic Asthma... it was pretty bad... in retrospect I feel a bit stupid not remembering to take the allergy stuff and forgetting the inhaler at home... I will probably get a little frame pack and put some meds / tools / ..etc in that in future I guess...

I don't want to be melodramatic about it... but it was a bit scary if I'm honest..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm allergic to just about everything airborne, but, as others have mentioned, it has waned over the years and I have learned to put up with it. I learned by taking allergy shots and owning cats that exposure to allergens is the best cure for allergies.

Years ago, I tried Seldane as part of the "new wave" of allergy meds and it didn't work as well as Benadryl for me, then got yanked off the market. I didn't go on to try Claritin and whatever others there may be.

When my face is leaking uncontrollably I pop a couple of Benadryl and it works like a charm. Also puts me right to sleep (I used Benadryl as a sleep aid from time to time also). I can't imagine riding after having taken it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys aren't going to believe this... guess what I forgot again today... not out biking but messing about at home here.. and just had another huge allergy attack... god I am dumb.. luckily supplies are near at hand here at home..

so sort of funny... I was all "why can't I breath again?" and then the DUH moment.. oh right I didn't take allergy stuff when I got up .. also on the upside I was able to resolve the issue without alerting my wife to my oversight.. which is good because she worries, and as such would get annoyed...

that is incredible I haven't forgot the allergy meds in quite awhile before now... then 2days in a row like a dummy.. oh well...

so yes I will be stashing emergency allergy stuff on the bike somewhere

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
you guys aren't going to believe this... guess what I forgot again today... not out biking but messing about at home here.. and just had another huge allergy attack... god I am dumb.. luckily supplies are near at hand here at home..
Someone's going to have to report this to your wife.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

so sort of funny... I was all "why can't I breath again?" and then the DUH moment.. oh right I didn't take allergy stuff when I got up .. also on the upside I was able to resolve the issue without alerting my wife to my oversight.. which is good because she worries, and as such would get annoyed...

that is incredible I haven't forgot the allergy meds in quite awhile before now... then 2days in a row like a dummy.. oh well...

so yes I will be stashing emergency allergy stuff on the bike somewhere
You can buy OTC bronchodilators at larger drugstores (Walgreens, etc...). They are tabs of Ephedrine and, usually, Guaifenesin. As an emergency cache, they can be life-savers. Emphasis is on emergency--they can cause a bit of damage if used irresponsibly. Make sure your doctor knows that you are carrying them.

Also, with insurance, rescue inhalers are cheap. Explain why you want a second/third one, and I'm sure the doctor will have no problem prescribing it.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
My first aid kit ALWAYS has some diphenhydramine/benadryl in it.

I have allergies (seasonal, I was a mess this spring), but they're mild compared to OP's. Still, though, my allergies are such that they might not flare up until the afternoon in the middle of a ride, and dialing back the severity can help a lot with general comfort. They're also useful for bee stings. I'm not severely allergic to those or anything, but pop some benadryl and a tylenol or similar and it can really knock down the pain, itching, and swelling on something like that, especially if it happens in a crappy spot like underneath a watch band, or under a cuff of your clothes, or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.