Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't often post to this forum (mostly to the AZ forum) but I lurk here almost everyday to enjoy the Titus banter.

As you can see by the pics, I've managed to crack my 05 Motolite! I had just competed a fast and rocky downhill in Scottsdale (the "hey I smell brake pads burning" type) and had gotten 3/4's up the second and final climb of the day when my riding partner noticed a squeaking sound. After the discovery, we decided it was best to bail and I proceeded on a very slow and front-brake-heavy descent (2300 ft) to a friend's house for a shuttle ride back to the cars. Fortunately, I live in the Valley of the Sun and immediately took the bike down to my LBS for tear down and shipment to Titus in Tempe.

Now it's just a waiting game to see what Titus has in stock...

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow, that's a drag. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad it wasn't catastrophic.

I know there aren't many responses to the original post yet, but I find the comments interesting. I think it's a testament to the durability and track record of a product when most comments are relating to how the manufacturer will handle the situation. Clearly there haven't been enough claims posted to this board to draw any conclusions about how Titus would deal with this type of situation. I'm sure you'll be taken care of well. I wonder if they'll just give you a new set of seat-stays or a whole new rear tri. Keep us posted.

later,
simp

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
thats where they brake. the switch blade could brake there too... this is the third broken seat stay I've heard about. never heard of any other type of break on the ML. a very low failure rate for a bike that people beat the hell out of.

I run 8 inch rear brakes which should stress that area in front of the brake tab more. but I'm still going.

titus will fix it. there is no doubt. matching the color should be the only issue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Titus will hook you up!

I had an issue with the rear triangle on my RX last season. I noticed it on Saturday and needed the bike for a race I was flying to the next Thursday. I e-mailed some pics to Jeff Titone at Titus and he overnighted me a replacement for no charge. I had the replacement by Wednesday and was off to the race on Thursday with no issues. I'm sure they'll provide the same level of service to you as well.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I'm curious as to what length fork you have been using. I've seen some breaks in this area and it seems that taller forks than the bike frame was originally designed for MAY put some stress in that area. I'm no suspension expert so it's just a thought but several frames that were designed for 130mm forks are now being used for 140-160mm forks with no redesign of the frame itself.

It just seems that a taller front would put stress on the seatstays/chainstays that the frame was not designed for.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seatstay Blues...

demo_slug said:
thats where they brake. the switch blade could brake there too... this is the third broken seat stay I've heard about. never heard of any other type of break on the ML. a very low failure rate for a bike that people beat the hell out of.

I run 8 inch rear breaks which should stress that area in front of the brake tab more. but I'm still going.

titus will fix it. there is no doubt. matching the color should be the only issue.
I have broken my last 3 frames at the same junction - A Chuck CRFS, My 01 SB, and now the Motolite. When Titus replaced (free of charge, btw) the seatstay on the SB, it was a disc only stay and there was an additional gusset that was welded above the disc brake mount. My 14 yr. old son is still riding that bike without any issues.

Maybe it's time to 'upgrade' to the carbon stays...hmmm...

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
I've had my seat stay break on my '05 ML. I think it was just below the cable guide on the drive side (it was last summer, may be the non drive side). Anyway, Titus took care of me right away. BTW, I'm using stock TALAS forks.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flyer said:
I'm curious as to what length fork you have been using. I've seen some breaks in this area and it seems that taller forks than the bike frame was originally designed for MAY put some stress in that area. I'm no suspension expert so it's just a thought but several frames that were designed for 130mm forks are now being used for 140-160mm forks with no redesign of the frame itself.

It just seems that a taller front would put stress on the seatstays/chainstays that the frame was not designed for.
Stock 05 TALAS...

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I'm not implying that anyone is doing something wrong. It just seems that since the newer forks now go to 140/150/160mm, a lot of people have been using them on frames originally designed around 130mm forks. I've been seeing more of the breaks in the past year so I was playing detective.:cool:

I was just thinking aloud but stuff like this happens regardless. Once in a while, a frame breaks and it's the nature of metals, welding, and stress points. Titus should take care of you with no problems. Let us know what they say about the break and what they think caused it.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Mine broke a little higher up around the same spot on the seatstay. I was running a TALAS as well. As Demo said this is the third one I've heard about also. One being mine as well as a previouse poster on this thread. Man them's some good numbers for a bike that gets thrashed so hard "again as demo already said LOL".

BTW yes the ML was designed around a 130mm fork, but not "souly". The ML made it's debut sporting a TALAS as well as a PIKE. So a bit longer fork "with a TA" was obviously taken into consideration when it was designed. Which is incredible when you consider that I've XC raced this bike, whithout a single thought about having the wrong tool for the job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
titusbro said:
As you can see by the pics, I've managed to crack my 05 Motolite! ...
Wow man, thats crazy! Bummer- I'm sure you will be taken care of, as you should be.

FWIW, I don't think fork length could have anything to do with this break. 8" rotor or trials moves maybe, but not a longer fork. Just my .02c.

I am really impressed with the motolite's durability. Keep us posted!

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Titus and LBS Come Through!

My most excellent LBS and the Boys(& Girls) at Titus have come through for me once again. My LBS 'hand-delivered' the frame to Titus and in less than 48 business hours, I had my new seatstay assembly installed and ready for me to ride. Unfortunately due to work circumstances, I am unable to pick up the bike until Thursday.

I will post up some pics as soon as I can.

Pat

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
titusbro said:
My most excellent LBS and the Boys(& Girls) at Titus have come through for me once again. My LBS 'hand-delivered' the frame to Titus and in less than 48 business hours, I had my new seatstay assembly installed and ready for me to ride. Unfortunately due to work circumstances, I am unable to pick up the bike until Thursday.

I will post up some pics as soon as I can.

Pat
Great service from both Titus and your LBS :D

Congrats!

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's polished...

...and you know it's kinda funny in that I originally wanted a polished rear triangle but Titus would not budge, saying the polished pieces were only for the ti bikes.... and then I start to see that late in the year they are shipping blue frames with polished rears...!

I'm just glad it's fixed as I have a trip to Gooseberry planned in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
titusbro said:
It's polished...

...and you know it's kinda funny in that I originally wanted a polished rear triangle but Titus would not budge, saying the polished pieces were only for the ti bikes.... and then I start to see that late in the year they are shipping blue frames with polished rears...!

I'm just glad it's fixed as I have a trip to Gooseberry planned in a couple of weeks.
Welcome to the Polished Rear Club :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts