Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm Jun from the Philippines. I bought a brand new 08 Giant Trance 2 a couple of months ago. I'm new to mountain biking and have only ridden my bike about 3 times on moderate trails and the rest on paved roads during weekends. Last week the OEM Rockshox Recon of my Trance 2 suddenly stopped working. It wouldn't travel at all as if the lockout feature has been activated permanently but of course it wasn't. I immediately brought it back to the shop where I got it and they took it out and was sent out to be serviced elsewhere. It came back the other day and I had it installed again but now the lockout isn't working and I don't even want to test it anymore for fear of putting myself at risk should the fork fail while I'm using it. The dealer wants to take it out again and send it out again for another servicing. This is clearly a broken Rockshox fork and so I refused another attempt to service it and demanded that it be replaced with a new one. The dealer said all they can do is service it until they can make it work. I emailed the distributor and relayed my concern hoping I can get the replacement I deserve. Unfortunately I was given the same response that Rockshox policy states that forks will only be replaced if it has been deemed unserviceable. Is it just me or is this policy and after sales service downright unacceptable? I don't know what to do next because I don't know how to contact Rockshox directly to air my complaint. I'm now stuck with a faulty fork that is preventing me from riding my bike. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
If fork lockout is only thing not working after 1st warranty service, you don't need to fear that you will be risking yourself. It does suck that you have put up with this non-sense on new bike though. FYI, my lockout on Recon didn't work right off the bat when new. However after stroking the fork 20-30 times or so from the lever on unlock postion, the lockout worked like a charm. Maybe you will be lucky and same thing will happen to you. So don't fear and give that a shot.

Why not ask your LBS give you a loaner fork while your fork is being serviced by RS. RS thinks your fork is not broke terminally to give you a brand new replacement fork.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It is quit possible that there is air in the damper...causing the lock to not work. Cycling the fork a few times (ride it around for 5 min) with the damper adjustments all the way open should purge the air from the damper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.