Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty bummed casue I just pretzeled my front wheel on my new bike. I got a 08 Rockhopper Comp 29er and only got about 55 miles on it. I took a pretty nice bail today and when I got up the front wheel was a mess. I took the bike back to Spokes where I got it and they informed me that warenting it would not be an option. I decided that if I am gonna spend money I might as well upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than 300 on a wheel and the closer to 200 would be better. The guy at the service desk discussed a prebuilt wheel and one that they would build.

I guess my questions are:

Wich is better of the two he sugested?
Pre built wheel - XT Hub and Velocity Blunt rim for 190.99
or
The custom wheel - XT Hub DT Swiss x470 rim for 193

What other options are out there? Why would the options be better?

What would you do?

Any disadvantage to just upgrading the front and not the rear for now?

Should I consider going tubeless?

What other questions should I have?

(I also posted this in the 29er thread...If double posting it was a no no sorry and please delete one)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
kn0bby8 said:
Im pretty bummed casue I just pretzeled my front wheel on my new bike. I got a 08 Rockhopper Comp 29er and only got about 55 miles on it. I took a pretty nice bail today and when I got up the front wheel was a mess. I took the bike back to Spokes where I got it and they informed me that warenting it would not be an option. I decided that if I am gonna spend money I might as well upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than 300 on a wheel and the closer to 200 would be better. The guy at the service desk discussed a prebuilt wheel and one that they would build.

I guess my questions are:

Wich is better of the two he sugested?
Pre built wheel - XT Hub and Velocity Blunt rim for 190.99
or
The custom wheel - XT Hub DT Swiss x470 rim for 193

What other options are out there? Why would the options be better?

What would you do?

Any disadvantage to just upgrading the front and not the rear for now?

Should I consider going tubeless?

What other questions should I have?

(I also posted this in the 29er thread...If double posting it was a no no sorry and please delete one)
What kind of riding do you do? How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wel my scenario has changed...

Now, I am ugrading both the front and rear wheels. I am gonnabe using DT Swiss 470 rims with either DT Swiss 370 Hubs or Hope Pro 2 Hubs.

Any input on the hub choice is apreciated.

·
Banned
960 Posts
I have set of the rockhopper comp wheels,I picked them up in a trade.I was going to keep them but after reading your post I'm haveing scond thought...were yours the alex rim models....

·
This place needs an enema
17,081 Posts
kn0bby8 said:
Wel my scenario has changed...

Now, I am ugrading both the front and rear wheels. I am gonnabe using DT Swiss 470 rims with either DT Swiss 370 Hubs or Hope Pro 2 Hubs.

Any input on the hub choice is apreciated.
Bad rim choice--you'll likely fold that one up just as easily as you did the first one.

Of the hubs they're both good with a slight nod going to the Pro 2 for it's versatility.

MC

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CB2 said:
What's wrong with the hub from your original wheel? Couldn't you rebuild with a stouter rim?
Sorry, I don't have any rim recommendations; I'm not too hard on rims.
Appearenty the stock hub was on its way out after only 55 hours of riding...I am hoping that specialized will warentee it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mike just built a set for me -- his website is www.lacemine29.com. You give him your info and he makes recommendations. He built mine (hope pro II on stan flows rims) quickly, and I LOVE them. Definitely worth checking out. Also, you can get exactly what you want, in terms of colors, if you want the bling factor.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've heard great things about Mikes wheels (lacemine29).

I've had good luck with the Bonty Duster/Rhythm rims... I've got a rear Duster laced 3X w straight gauge spokes to DT Swiss Onyx - that thing has taken some harsh rides on a rigid SS and is still within .5mm of true. The Rhythm Comp wheelset is a good buy for the $ but the Bonty hubs aren't as smooth as the DT Swiss that they use on the Rhythm Elite. I like the rims for tubeless as well - eventually they'll have the rim strips out - but I've run mine ghetto for the past 250+ miles without a single problem.

S

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
29ERCAT said:
I have set of the rockhopper comp wheels,I picked them up in a trade.I was going to keep them but after reading your post I'm haveing scond thought...were yours the alex rim models....
DOH, my 2008 Rockhopper disk (26" not 29er) has those same rims and so far I am very unimpressed with them even in the smalller 26 size. They have gotten tweaked a couple times and been re-trued only to get bent again. My old no suspension MTB wheels have been ridden alot more and never had near as many problems with them getting bent and the spokes loosening! :madmax:

EDIT: I too weigh about 185 and just over 6' tall.

kn0bby8 said:
Appearenty the stock hub was on its way out after only 55 hours of riding...I am hoping that specialized will warentee it.
WTF??? What was going bad with it? I've got about 150 miles on my bike so far...thinkin I shoulda gone 29er too...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Natedogz said:
DOH, my 2008 Rockhopper disk (26" not 29er) has those same rims and so far I am very unimpressed with them even in the smalller 26 size. They have gotten tweaked a couple times and been re-trued only to get bent again. My old no suspension MTB wheels have been ridden alot more and never had near as many problems with them getting bent and the spokes loosening! :madmax:

EDIT: I too weigh about 185 and just over 6' tall.

WTF??? What was going bad with it? I've got about 150 miles on my bike so far...thinkin I shoulda gone 29er too...
I dont think it was going bad but beacme real loose after only a handfull of miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.