Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I ham fisted the bleed screw on my rear lever. It's on a set of Magura MT5s. Love the brakes but why such a weak screw? I barely over torqued it and the head sheared off. I have a replacement on the way but now I need to figure out how to remove the original. It's pretty tiny. Can I just use a very small drill bit and a microscopic easy out? Its delicate to the extreme and I'm not sure if my torque wrench is up to the very small torque spec.

Thanks. The rear brake is performing flawlessly but I'll need to bleed it eventually. As I said I love these brakes otherwise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As the title says I ham fisted the bleed screw on my rear lever. It's on a set of Magura MT5s. Love the brakes but why such a weak screw? I barely over torqued it and the head sheared off. I have a replacement on the way but now I need to figure out how to remove the original. It's pretty tiny. Can I just use a very small drill bit and a microscopic easy out? Its delicate to the extreme and I'm not sure if my torque wrench is up to the very small torque spec.

Thanks. The rear brake is performing flawlessly but I'll need to bleed it eventually. As I said I love these brakes otherwise.
You can flip the lever upside down, there is a second bleed screw. Or swap your levers so the stripped screw is at the bottom. I used the plastic torx bit that came in cheap bleeding set to avoid stripping

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
You have broken the EBT-screw with T25 head?

Its supposed to be torqued to 0.5 nm or you like 2 fingers to screw it in~

To remove it I would try with a small screwdriver and press down on the remaining piece and try to unscrew it. It should move easily as you cannot have overtightened it that much.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I just got my replacement yesterday. I'll try out these suggestions.

I didn't think about how little force might be needed to remove the screw. I'm so used to dealing with stuck metal ones.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rationally? What is this thing you speak of? 😁

No really. You're completely right. I normally do well with problem solving but I was so pissed off about it that it inspired mad monkey rage and irrational swearing in several languages. 😋

I'm sure it was hilarious to watch.

So I think I can easily remove this screw and I might as well bleed both sides while I'm at it. It's nice and simple to do with these brakes. Thanks again guys. Send it and shred it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rationally? What is this thing you speak of? ?

No really. You're completely right. I normally do well with problem solving but I was so pissed off about it that it inspired mad monkey rage and irrational swearing in several languages. ?

I'm sure it was hilarious to watch.

So I think I can easily remove this screw and I might as well bleed both sides while I'm at it. It's nice and simple to do with these brakes. Thanks again guys. Send it and shred it!
Please mount camera next time and get this on tape.

/ Sincerely yours the internet.

Glad to help out. Please post back if it went smooth and all.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Love the brakes but why such a weak screw?
My understanding is to avoid stripping the body, which will be much more costly. The screw was designed to snap and leave enough material to unscrew with a screwdriver or some other tool.

Why they don't just use inserts is beyond me...I guess it's the ultimate weight weenie thing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't tried anything yet. It's the rear one and it feels perfect right now. The front needs a bleed but I never have time.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm sure I'll be able to do this without a lot of trouble or more mad monkey rage.

I'm am not a weight weenie by any stretch. I got these brakes because of great reviews and I am not at all disappointed. I ride a custom built and heavily upgraded 2005 Cannondale Prophet. I love the way it rides but it's a heavy beast compared to the new crop of wunderbikes out there. I'd guess around 33lbs ish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the busted screw

Hi Today it happend to me and i took the busted bleeding screw with a hot watch screwdriver, I take with any problem, there is no problem with this method because de thread is metallic. My front brake well blooded is really frim, the rear break isnt so firm I think because of the longest flexible magura hose

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today I had to deal with ham fisting two of the EBT screws on a set of MT2's. I went ahead and bought four of them on Amazon To be sure that I had enough now and in the future. The unbelievable cost for four of these plastic screws was almost $30 with Prime free delivery.

At any rate I can speak to the effectiveness of the tiny heated flat bladed screwdriver, which In fact worked very well. I can tell you that screwdriver size was marked as a 1/8". Heat that puppy up, It doesn't have to be red hot, but melt it sink it down into the screw as far as you can get it then let it cool off. Worked like a charm for me. And when you reinstall with new screws be sure not to over tighten them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine just broke on the way out!
I've been having a devil of a time bleeding the rear after changing the brake pads. It was too solid of a feel and now I can't get the air out.

But on taking that bleed screw out it broke. None of the screwdrivers are working right now. I've flipped it to bleed for now...

Grrr...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.